VOGONS

First post, by tizzdizz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys,

I have a Data General P100 that I haven't run in a few months. I moved it to my office to tinker with it, and now it wont power on. Since the Dallas battery is luckily socketed, I'd like to replace it. If the battery died, would it prevent it from powering on, or just prevent it from progressing through the boot sequence?

I have to find another appropriate AT power supply (don't have any with 24 pins) so I can figure out what's going on.

Edit: I tried searching a few online sources, but I keep only finding the DS1287s, and no sign of any 1587s.

Reply 1 of 8, by i486_inside

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Your best bet is to cut into the chip similar to the ds128(8)7 battery mod and solder a battery holder on to the chipt, this datasheet will help you find the Vbat and BGND pins.

Attachments

• Filename
    ds1585.pdf
    File size
    1.04 MiB
    Downloads
    74 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 8, by tizzdizz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, I had seen the battery mod for the 1287, I was just unsure if this was similar enough for it to work, and which pins need to be tied into. I'll see what I can find in the datasheet. Thanks for attaching it!

Last edited by tizzdizz on 2017-07-28, 02:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 8, by i486_inside

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I attached the datasheet on my post, the DS1585 and DS1587 are essentially the same, the ds1587 is a ds 1585 but on the ds1587 the vbat and bgnd as well as the oscillator pins are bent up and have the battery and oscillator soldered to them and then they pot the battery and oscillator in epoxy and put a plastic cover over it and stamp the dallas logo, the ds1587 part number and the date code on it.

Reply 5 of 8, by i486_inside

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Actually now that I look at it, there is an auxiliary battery pin on the chip, so you may be able to use that instead of having to hack in to the chip, Actually, is there an external battery header anywhere on the motherboard that interfaces to the Vbaux pin?

Reply 6 of 8, by tizzdizz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good question, I'll have to see when I get to the office tomorrow. But here's a picture of the board.

Data General Main Board.JPG
Filename
Data General Main Board.JPG
File size
1.36 MiB
Views
File comment
Data General P-100 motherboard
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 7 of 8, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was searching for this part a month ago. Only place I could really find is this place, and its also called "Dantona COMP-99", though it only references a DS1587 as a compatible.

https://octopart.com/comp-99-dantona+industries-7154401

But I seriously doubt you want to buy a minimum of 10 of them at $45 each, or try to requisition-order just one (they might laugh at you...). I decided not to buy the motherboard that had the chip attached.

Let me know if you're able to cut into it like the other Dallas RTCs, as I've done that mod before with great success.

386DX-40MHz-8MB-540MB+428MB+Speedstar64@2MB+SoundBlaster Pro+MT-32/MKII
486DX2-66Mhz-16MB-4.3GB+SpeedStar64 VLB DRAM 2MB+AWE32/SB16+SCB-55
MY BLOG RETRO PC BLOG: https://bitbyted.wordpress.com/

Reply 8 of 8, by tizzdizz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks dogchainx, I'll see what I can find out. I'm not even positive if this is bad, I'm just trying to diagnose a non-start issue where it won't power on.