VOGONS

Alone in the Dark setups

Topic actions

First post, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Don't mind me, I'm setting up every dos game I can find and some errors come to surface...I'm only trying to help 😊

In Alone in the Dark 2 & 3 the setup program does not show up correctly. The buttons are moved and impossible to hit making sound setup really hard:

Reply 1 of 11, by Theboss

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah I havent been able to edit the sound yet, 🤣 🙄

Reply 2 of 11, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What version of DOSBox was that screenshot taken from?

Reply 3 of 11, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tried in Dosbox 0.63 and ykhwong's CVS build. 😵

Reply 4 of 11, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Interesting, the buttons text moved half-way up the screen. This is symptomatic with that Lode Runner bug that I've fixed last night. The patch is in Sourceforge but did not make through to ykhwong's build yet. If you can compile DosBox I would suggest trying with that patch.

Reply 5 of 11, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My machine isn't exactly setup for compiling....and I wouldn't begin to know where to start 😅 Hence why I use builds... 😢

The best I can do is ask you to try or send you the setup (for testing purposes of course)

Reply 6 of 11, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have Alone in the Dark Trilogy, don't know if it has the same setup or not. I'll check tonight.

Reply 7 of 11, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Checked and yes, it should be fixed with that "Get Font Info" patch. BTW, the background in that screenshot above is also wrong -- same bug.

Reply 8 of 11, by ykhwong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

"Get Font Info" patch is not in my build now. It will be added later.

Reply 9 of 11, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You guys are too quick for me. If I were your boss you'd all be getting raises 😁 Who says open source doesn't work?

Reply 10 of 11, by POLE

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got more or less the same problem. I have all the original trilogy in CDs and the dos installation simply hangs on that screen. I must install it on windows to make it work. On a side note, the install program (which allows to change the options for the sound hardware) works like a charm and the games works.

My version is DOSBox 0.65.

Is there a workaround for this?

P.S. I am not english native so there could be mistakes.

Reply 11 of 11, by ChaosFish

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There's an open source engine replacement project for Alone in the Dark (from one of the authors of ScummVM) - http://sourceforge.net/projects/fitd/