VOGONS

TV Sports Boxing

Topic actions

First post, by Steve7810

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I'd like to play TV Sports Boxing (cinemaware.com) with DOSBox 0.62.

My PC information is:

Computer: ADM Athlon XP 3000+

Processor: 2.16 GHz 224 RAM

Video: VIA/S3 Graphics Inc.

Indeo Video Interactive and DivX Codecs

Audio: Realtek AC'97 Audio for VIA (R).

Question: When I run vbox.com with DOSBox0.62 the game doesn't start and after a few seconds the screen returns to "C:/boxing". What must I change in DOSBox to play the game?

I have read the READMe a few times but I don't know what to do... 😒

Thank You,

Steve

Reply 1 of 30, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Errr, DOSBox 0.62 is really old. The current official version is 0.63 and there are many more recent CVS builds available . Try them first. (To find a CVS build, check out the sticky thread on the "DOSBox Development" forum).

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.

Reply 2 of 30, by Steve7810

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thank you... now... there are a lot... hope I will find the fitting cvs... any tips which cvs would work for me?
thanks i.a.

btw: I use both dosbox0.62 and 0.63, but I saw here that someone (Mirir) has run TV Sports Boxing with 0.62... so I tried it first...

Reply 5 of 30, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just tried with the free version of TV Sports Boxing available from Underdogs and it does indeed crash. Also note that the games list specifies it as being "runable" with a very low score attached. That's nowhere near "playable". The game is evidently still a long way from being supported or even starting properly. It should probably be listed as "broken".

Reply 7 of 30, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Greetings everyone.

I downloaded it from the creators web (www.cinemaware.com) and it is exactly the same version Underdogs has. 🙁

Now the good news. I HAVE HAD A FUCKING BAD TIME REMOVING THE COPYLOCK KEYDISK protection, but it now works perfectly even under WinXP NTVDM.

This game seems freeware now. What I cannot understand is why Cinemaware is giving it away for free with KEYDISK PROTECTION included (more a nuissance than anything).

Breaking protections is a delicate matter (and it's illegal), so I would like to ASK PERMISSION for posting the cracked version here (works now). Is it okay to do it or is it still illegal to do so (even if the game is freeware now?). I JUST WANT TO BE SURE. Thanks.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 8 of 30, by Steve7810

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

cool... well... I think in this case it's legal... because the game is for free... but... if the game would be for sale it would be illegal... so I guess you can post your stuff... if I was not sure... I would contact cinemaware for further info or permission... thanks

Reply 9 of 30, by iampiti

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

G What I cannot understand is why Cinemaware is giving it away for free with KEYDISK PROTECTION included (more a nuissance than anything).

Well I guess they just didn't bother to remove the protection. They would've needed someone to look into the sources and that costs money 😀.

Anyway I don't think anyone cares if you distribute the patched version. It's a freeware game now anyway.

Iampiti

Reply 13 of 30, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

why should it be. Please use a different tone HunterZ. You sound like a spoiled child only wanting more and more.

dosbox doesn't use bios functions to read files. (it doesn't need to) the game hooks the bios as it assumes that the builtin dos uses the bios to read the files from the disk (using int 13). This doesn't work under dosbox. Might work when using a diskimage and a booted dos (but wd tested that).
I assume XP doesn't use the ancient int 13 either when reading files.

It depends a bit on where the game hacks the executable.
As there was one game before which did something like this as well. So maybe we might reroute one of the dos calls (was thinking only of execute) to call int 13 (to allow hooked programs to modify the diskbuffer)

But I think it will be a mess to do it for every call.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 14 of 30, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sorry, I didn't intend for it to come off that way (guess I was a little too direct). It was just a request for information (which you just provided) as it seemed to break this game, and I remember seeing it discussed previously but couldn't find the relevant thread(s) by searching.

Reply 15 of 30, by Steve7810

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Qbix wrote:

So maybe we might reroute one of the dos calls (was thinking only of execute) to call int 13 (to allow hooked programs to modify the diskbuffer)

Ok... and how do I do that? (sorry for my "Unknowledge")

Qbix wrote:

But I think it will be a mess to do it for every call.

I don't care... it was my first pc game ever and I would do anything to make it run again... 🤣... almost everything... 😉

"Even the kindest person can't live peacefully if the neighbours don't want it."

Reply 16 of 30, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Steve7810, what Qbix is referring to is modifying the actual source code to DOSBox itself. Not something you can do by changing config files or something. Unless you are intimately familiar with the internal workings of DOSBox, as only Qbix, Harekiet, wd and maybe vasyl are, I doubt you could do it. I know I can't...

Reply 17 of 30, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

After reading all your replies I thought: "would it be illegal to distribute a cracked executable for an already cracked version? (remember: the freeware version downloadable from Cinemaware itself also has a crack (vbox.com)

For me it would be okay, but still, I NEED DIRECT CONFIRMATION/ALLOWANCE before doing it.

PS1 - Yes, what QBix was refering to it's called LOW-LEVEL or Direct disk access (achieved via int13h bios calls). These types of disk calls were commonly used for disk-based protections at the ms-dos era and usually they heavily rely on hardware itself at low-level (meaning that running them on other OS than pure ms-dos was a nuissance). That's why modern Operating Systems do disk access in a more abstract way and no-so-direct, because being that way is more adaptative.

PS2 - I have not played the game itself, because I don't even care (I don't like sports games - I removed the already cracked protection to be able to run it under DOSBox, which was my main goal). Other than that, I have tested the demo with Internal Speaker, AdLib and Roland. It works flawlessly under DOSBox. 😎

Last edited by eL_PuSHeR on 2005-09-07, 20:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 18 of 30, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Whoah, another person that doesn't like sports games. Another mutant like me.... 😉

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 19 of 30, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I doubt you're the only ones. I don't like sports games either. Don't like sports at all, not even watching it on the telly. I got to be in IT because I want to grow fat sitting on my behind all day while I work. The growing fat part isn't working out unfortunately (I'm waaay too thin), but otherwise it's great.