VOGONS

First post, by britain4

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have an Asus Socket 7 board I’ve just resurrected by re-flashing the BIOS on it. It’s from a HP and has the model name Asus SPAX. I wondered if anyone could tell me if there’s a retail version of the board I could use the BIOS from as the HP splash screen is kind of annoying and the BIOS is quite limited.

TW5N3iQ.jpg

Thanks!

- P-MMX 200MHZ, PCChips M598LMR, Voodoo
- P-MMX 233MHz, FIC PA2013, S3 ViRGE + Voodoo
- PII 400MHz, MSI MS6119, ATI Rage Pro Turbo + Voodoo2 SLI
- PIII 1400MHz, ECS P6IPAT, Voodoo5 5500
- Toshiba Libretto 110CT, 300MHz, 96MB RAM

Reply 2 of 9, by britain4

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks! It does look very similar with the exception of the SIMM slots and slightly different layout on that part of the board, wouldn’t like to take the gamble it’s similar enough that the BIOS would work?

Guess I could always flash it back again with no issue if it doesnt...

Reply 3 of 9, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The SP97-XV board uses Winbond W83877F I/O chip and ICS9169CJ-272 clock generator. If both match yours you have a better chance. Here is the big picture.
It seems that the SPAX BIOS is twice the size of the SP97-XV BIOS. You might have to stitch two copies of the latter one to make a 256KB image.
In the past I played with some ASUS boards OEM'ed for HP. Some hiccups I encountered: 1, I couldn't flash the BIOS with ASUS flash utility when HP BIOS is running, and I couldn't flash the BIOS with HP flash utility when ASUS BIOS is running; 2, after flashed to the ASUS BIOS, the HP OEM TX97-XV gives a beep and pauses with some error code every time at boot, but no problem after booted into DOS or Windows.

Reply 4 of 9, by britain4

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, it matches both of those. I might give it a shot and see what happens. Will probably use Uniflash anyway as that’s what I’m used to.

Would be cool to have a more fully-featured BIOS on the board, it is nice quality and ATX and the onboard video and audio might come in useful

Do you think the SP97-XV BIOS would affect the onboard audio as I may need to use that depending on what goes in the build?

Reply 5 of 9, by britain4

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lazibayer wrote:

The SP97-XV board uses Winbond W83877F I/O chip and ICS9169CJ-272 clock generator. If both match yours you have a better chance. Here is the big picture.
It seems that the SPAX BIOS is twice the size of the SP97-XV BIOS. You might have to stitch two copies of the latter one to make a 256KB image.
In the past I played with some ASUS boards OEM'ed for HP. Some hiccups I encountered: 1, I couldn't flash the BIOS with ASUS flash utility when HP BIOS is running, and I couldn't flash the BIOS with HP flash utility when ASUS BIOS is running; 2, after flashed to the ASUS BIOS, the HP OEM TX97-XV gives a beep and pauses with some error code every time at boot, but no problem after booted into DOS or Windows.

Sorry to bug you lazibayer but do you know how I might go about stitching the two copies of the BIOS together or whether I can try just flashing it as is first?

I think I might have figured out how to do it with Uniflash but I wondered if there was a more efficient way

UPDATE I merged two copies of the BIOS file into one, flashed it and it works! No annoying HP logo and seems quicker to POST. No error messages and appears to pick up the onboard audio OK. However the latest ASUS BIOS doesnt appear to have large hard drive support whereas the HP one did! 🙁

Reply 6 of 9, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Jan Steunebrink has a patched BIOS for that board with large hard drive support. http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/k6plus.htm

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 7 of 9, by britain4

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Repo Man11 wrote:

Jan Steunebrink has a patched BIOS for that board with large hard drive support. http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/k6plus.htm

And K6plus support too if I need it! Amazing, thank you! Just shows there’s only so far Google can get you with these things!

Reply 9 of 9, by britain4

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Fantastic, I flashed the modified SP97-XV BIOS this evening and everything seems to be working well with large hard drive support (up to 137gb from 32gb) on an OEM SPAX board.

Just wish I'd not managed to kill off the K6-2 but I have a P233 MMX on the way to replace it.

Thanks lazibayer and Repo Man11 for all your help with this, turned it into a nice functional board!