VOGONS

First post, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just because I am curious, and it is fun to think about, imagine taking a modern i7 computer and putting in a retro friendly storage controller, an FX 5500 or similar PCI graphics, a windows sound card, and maybe a USB 1.1 controller. Could you get windows 98 installed on it, and more importantly, what would your framerate in Quake III be 🤣 ? What is the newest computer you could potentially get to run windows 98?

Reply 1 of 13, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, people have already gotten newer i7 systems to run with Windows 98.

The fastest video card that has modded drivers that work with Win98SE is the Nvidia 7900GTX. The driver supposedly should also work with the 8800 Ultra/GTX but I wasn't able to get it to work. Pretty sure it is because those cards have over 512MB RAM.

Even newer onboard SATA controllers work fine in Win98SE. Sure it just uses the regular built-in 16-bit drivers, but it does work.

The fastest PCI SATA controller that has drivers for Win98SE is any card based on the Promise SATA 150 (SATA I only.. the SATA II 150 chip will not work).

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 13, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:
Well, people have already gotten newer i7 systems to run with Windows 98. […]
Show full quote

The fastest video card that has modded drivers that work with Win98SE is the Nvidia 7900GTX. The driver supposedly should also work with the 8800 Ultra/GTX but I wasn't able to get it to work. Pretty sure it is because those cards have over 512MB RAM.

Even newer onboard SATA controllers work fine in Win98SE. Sure it just uses the regular built-in 16-bit drivers, but it does work.

The fastest PCI SATA controller that has drivers for Win98SE is any card based on the Promise SATA 150 (SATA I only.. the SATA II 150 chip will not work).

The 7900GTX AGP or PCIE? That would also mean that 320mb 8800GTS would be compatible? Crazy.

Reply 3 of 13, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm one of the madman that ran Win98 on Core i7 😁
I used PCI-e card (7800 GTX). 7900 GTX is best when you have one card, however it didn't worked for my specific use case.

ruthan is the other user that is into "Win98 everything and see what sticks" : LINK

PS. I didn't said 7900GTX wasn't tested 😉 so an answer for Quake III Arena question :

Quake 3 Core i7 7900 GTX 1024x768.jpg
Filename
File size
656.31 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

157143230295.png

Reply 4 of 13, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
agent_x007 wrote:
I'm one of the madman that ran Win98 on Core i7 :D I used PCI-e card (7800 GTX). 7900 GTX is best when you have one card, howeve […]
Show full quote

I'm one of the madman that ran Win98 on Core i7 😁
I used PCI-e card (7800 GTX). 7900 GTX is best when you have one card, however it didn't worked for my specific use case.

ruthan is the other user that is into "Win98 everything and see what sticks" : LINK

PS. I didn't said 7900GTX wasn't tested 😉 so an answer for Quake III Arena question :

Oh god I love it. 977fps? WE MUST GO HIGHER.

Reply 5 of 13, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I may need to do this.
Once my 286 is built.
And my 486 is built.
And my K6-2 300mhz is turned into Win 98SE.
(and once my phone is built, but that's not retro so, nevermind).

The idea of running Win98 on modern hardware makes me drool.

For at least a decade I've wanted a version of DOS (FreeDOS, most likely) that would talk to modern video cards.
Guess I'll settle for Win98...

Reply 6 of 13, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mothergoose729 wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:
Show full quote

The 7900GTX AGP or PCIE? That would also mean that 320mb 8800GTS would be compatible? Crazy.

Yeah.. the G80 based 8800 GTS 320MB should theoretically work.

Now I haveta get me one and try it out.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 8 of 13, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RaverX wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:

With what driver? As far as I know, Nvidia doesn't offer Windows 98 for anything above Geforce 6.

Nividia didn't make an official release, but up to 93.71 can be made to work with 98.
https://msfn.org/board/topic/97786-geforce-67 … win98me-by-zak/

http://toogam.com/software/archive/drivers/vi … fici/nv8269.txt

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 9 of 13, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:
mothergoose729 wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:
Show full quote

Now I haveta get me one and try it out.

Please post back when you do! I am planning a windows XP build around a GTS 250 which is g92, but I could bump down to an 880gts if I also get win98 games. You can find them for about 20$ shipped these days on ebay. The 320mb VRAM models are guaranteed g80.

Reply 10 of 13, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I snagged an unknown one - no clear picture of the sticker on the back for $9.00 shipped and a couple of 320MB ones for $28 shipped for both. All are EVGA and supposedly work.

I'll test once they arrive. Really hope they work. I completely forgot that the G80 series had 320MB GTS cards.

The 640MB ones are all going to be G80 as well, correct?

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 12 of 13, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:

The JMicron JMB360 SATAII PCIe chip actually got Windows 98SE drivers, but it's not a very common chip on a stand alone controller and I'm not sure how it performs.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 13 of 13, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kamerat wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:

The JMicron JMB360 SATAII PCIe chip actually got Windows 98SE drivers, but it's not a very common chip on a stand alone controller and I'm not sure how it performs.

Ooohhhh.. something else for me to keep an eye out for.

Edit.. well, I found some.. but they are only single port eSATA. The JMB360 only supports a single port and looks like it doesn't have a BIOS on the card so pretty sure it wouldn't be bootable.

However, the Adaptec RAID 1220SA has Linux driver source code available so it might be possible to make a 9x driver for it.

Still looking for other options.

Edit 2: Anybody have an actual verified link to Win98 drivers for the JMB360? All I can find is places saying that it supports Win98 but every single driver package I have been able to find doesn't have a Win98 driver. Really looks to be Win2000 or newer.

The exception is the RLoew custom driver... but I am looking for something that has support from the mfg.

Edit 3: Found a free Universal ATA driver and somebody did make a version that has support for Win 9x.
Main page: http://alter.org.ua/en/soft/win/uni_ata/
Page with Win9x version: http://reboot.pro/topic/2384-alter-group-univ … nt351nt42000xp/

The compiled Win9x version was compiled in debug mode and is a very old version and it doesn't look like the Win9x version was ever updated or included in the newer versions so I may have to take a look at that sometime to see if I can implement the Win9x compatibility in the newer versions.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK