Audigy 2 ZS issues on Win98SE

Discussion about old sound cards, MIDI devices and sound related accessories.

Audigy 2 ZS issues on Win98SE

Postby Dragonslayer182 » 2019-7-11 @ 07:54

I'm trying to install the drivers for my SB Audigy 2 ZS, but I keep running into problems in windows 98. The default installer doesn't even detect the card, and the "hidden" installer in the d:\audio\drivers folder hangs near the end of installing the drivers. I've tried both audigy 2 zs install discs from the driver archive. The web installer doesn't detect the card either. I've made sure that it's fully seated in it's PCI slot, and that it's the only card in there. What is going on, and how can I get these drivers installed?

I've taken a pic of how far it's gotten and what it's managed to install before hanging: (Sorry about the huge size, I can't remember how to limit it)
Discord: Dragonslayer182#8984
Dragonslayer182

Re: Audigy 2 ZS issues on Win98SE

Postby chinny22 » 2019-7-11 @ 16:05

Creative drivers are pretty bad round this time, its a pretty common problem.
You can try different PCI slots, or reinstall windows with the card removed and go again.

Although most the time device manager wont see anything what are the other missing drivers? maybe you do have a conflict?
chinny22
l33t

Postby BushLin » 2019-7-11 @ 16:14

Did you install the chipset drivers first?
There's a fair few unknown devices there.
Screw period correct, I wanted a faster system back then. I choose no dropped frames, super fast loading, fully compatible and quiet operation.
BushLin

Postby Dragonslayer182 » 2019-7-11 @ 20:05

chinny22 wrote:Creative drivers are pretty bad round this time, its a pretty common problem.
You can try different PCI slots, or reinstall windows with the card removed and go again.

Although most the time device manager wont see anything what are the other missing drivers? maybe you do have a conflict?

BushLin wrote:Did you install the chipset drivers first?

I just installed the chipset drivers and tried using the first PCI slot, but neither worked. I really hope I don't have to reinstall windows. Could there be a conflict between the onboard audio and the SB Audigy 2 ZS, and is there a way to resolve it? Onboard audio doesn't have drivers installed.
Dragonslayer182

Postby kalm_traveler » 2019-7-11 @ 23:04

Dragonslayer182 wrote:
chinny22 wrote:Creative drivers are pretty bad round this time, its a pretty common problem.

I just installed the chipset drivers and tried using the first PCI slot, but neither worked. I really hope I don't have to reinstall windows. Could there be a conflict between the onboard audio and the SB Audigy 2 ZS, and is there a way to resolve it? Onboard audio doesn't have drivers installed.

Why not disable onboard audio in the bios?
kalm_traveler

Postby Dragonslayer182 » 2019-7-12 @ 18:48

kalm_traveler wrote:
Dragonslayer182 wrote:

Why not disable onboard audio in the bios?

Just tried that, still no dice... The only change is that the "PCI Multimedia Audio Device" unknown device isn't listed anymore.
Dragonslayer182

Postby cyclone3d » 2019-7-12 @ 19:43

1. What is the model number on the Audigy 2 ZS card
2. Do you have another computer you can try it in?

If it isn't even showing up an an unknown device in Windows before you install the drivers, there is no way that the card is going to work. The computer must detect it.
cyclone3d
l33t

Postby Dragonslayer182 » 2019-7-12 @ 21:09

cyclone3d wrote:1. What is the model number on the Audigy 2 ZS card
2. Do you have another computer you can try it in?

If it isn't even showing up an an unknown device in Windows before you install the drivers, there is no way that the card is going to work. The computer must detect it.

It's an SB0350, and I just tried it in an XP computer with similar results. Only difference is that this time, the hidden installer finished installing without crashing, though it shows up as a "Soundblaster Audigy [1000]", and no sound comes out when I test it. Both computers see that there's some kind of sound card in the PCI slot, but creative's software isn't picking it up.
Dragonslayer182

Postby cyclone3d » 2019-7-13 @ 04:35

Kinda sounds like a faulty card to me. I had that happen to a Live! and an Audigy 1 back in the day.

One other thought. Have you tried cleaning the edge connector with a pencil eraser yet? Could be that there is just some oxidation or dirt on the connector that is causing it to not work.
cyclone3d
l33t

Postby swaaye » 2019-7-13 @ 05:20

Could it be an OEM card? I think the model numbers on the cards are the same. Creative's driver installers frequently wouldn't detect an OEM card. You need to get drivers from the system manufacturer.

With Windows XP and later you could try the Daniel K Audigy Support Pack. It will detect all Audigy cards.
swaaye

Postby cyclone3d » 2019-7-13 @ 06:19

swaaye wrote:Could it be an OEM card? I think the model numbers on the cards are the same. Creative's driver installers frequently wouldn't detect an OEM card. You need to get drivers from the system manufacturer.

With Windows XP and later you could try the Daniel K Audigy Support Pack. It will detect all Audigy cards.

And supposedly not have EAX support.

You should be able to see what the card ID shows up as in the device manager and then look in the .inf file for the drivers to make sure that it is in there.
cyclone3d
l33t

Postby Dragonslayer182 » 2019-7-13 @ 10:39

Okay, I just compared the device ID's. This card is 0004 (I think), and it's not listed in setup's INI file. I thought OEM cards had the normal colored connectors, but mine is completely gold and black. Is there any way to get this working in Win98se with EAX support?

Also, if you're wondering why it's got the correct name now: I'm testing this in my potential windows XP build to make sure it's not just windows 98, which has a couple of issues that need to be fixed before I turn it into a gaming pc (Nothing functional, just needs a new case and a quieter fan that doesn't blow as much air as a leafblower). I used a newer driver installer and it actually installed and detects my card as the right thing now... except that no sound comes out. At all. The digital out seems to make a little bit of sound when I plug it into that though, and I've also checked to make sure it's not muted or disabled or anything.

EDIT: I just realized that the "ID's" are language id's, not hardware ID's. I'm a moron. Does anyone know where to find the RIGHT .inf file in the disc's contents?
Dragonslayer182

Postby PARUS » 2019-7-16 @ 17:37

Remove driver via CTAPPZ.EXE and then try to force manually install VxD driver from Augigy1 disc. It should work. And at all WDM isn't good choice for Win9X.
PARUS

Return to Sound