First post, by Vipersan
So the beautiful MB-8500TTD I recently bought from ebay has arrived ..but on power up ...I got nothing.
A visual cursory scan of the mobo revealed it to be in good order ....a deeper scan with a jewellers eyepiece revealed more.
There is a quite wide trace which is open circuit with a small part of the trace vapourised.
I removed some components in the area including a power FET NDP 603AL ....a Double Diode BYV118-40 to gain access ..
both mounted on small ally heatsinks..
and a 100uf 16v cap
I was then able to repair the trace ,,,and clean the area with ISO.
The components cold checked and the BYV118 was shown to be short circuit.
I shall therefore replace all 3 of these components.
But before this I needed to check for short circuits which could cause enough current to be dumped that it could vapourise a 1.5mm copper trace.
Finally Isolated it to a green electrolytic cap Sanyo brand 1500uf 6.3v
Totally short circuit internally.
Hopefully this lovely old mobo will live again...but certainly not untill the BYV and NDP replacements arrive from ...you guessed it...China.