VOGONS

First post, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have one of those really cheap IDE to USB cables, but it's a big pain to use. It doesn't have a dedicated power supply, so I have to fish out an ATX PSU & jump the power-on wires every time I want to use it, and I find it's completely hit-and-miss with drives under 20GB or so. Sometimes they need to be jumpered as master, sometimes as cable select, sometimes you need to hot-plug the IDE cable, sometimes you need to start with everything (including the PC) powered off, sometimes it just plain won't read a drive no matter what you do, etc.

I'm looking for one that's a little more reliable. I have a 2-bay SATA dock that's great; the type you insert drives in from the top like cartridges. I'd love one like that for IDE, but I need that compatibility with old drives.

Any suggestions?

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 1 of 4, by Scraphoarder

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bought on eBay a cheap "ALL IN 1 HDD DOCKING" and have used it sucessfully with a lot of IDE 2.5" and 3.5" drives on all types of brands except some WD HDDs that it didnt detect.

Reply 2 of 4, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am hoping this one will work.
Should fit any size drive.
The large old IDE hard drives don’t fit in docks.

Attachments

Reply 3 of 4, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

the problem with most USB to IDE adapters is they only support LBA addressing, not CHS

so any drives that are super old like <2GB and don't support LBA will not work at all

Reply 4 of 4, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's even worse. Due to the way USB works, LBA is always used by these adapters, even for drives between 504 MB and 8 GB which may have been used with enhanced CHS addressing. If you connect such a hard disk via an USB adapter and LBA is used, you'll corrupt the data on it. This is true for CF cards via a card reader as well.