VOGONS

Best way to shutdown a 386/486 ?

Topic actions

First post, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would like to know what is the best way to shutdown a 386 or 486 computer.
I don’t want to ruin the hard drive, filesystem, software, OS , RAM, Cache , or Power supply.

So what do you think is the best way to shut it down ( turn off ) ?

I am running DOS 6.21 and Win3x.

Is there a DOS program or batch file to shut down the computer ?

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2019-10-05, 16:21. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 23, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When using smartdrive, always load it with the /X parameter. FAT is a very weak filesystem and can't really take interruption while writing, so you don't want write cache.

Apart from that, you don't shut down a DOS/Win3.x machine. Just turn it off when you're done. If you have virtual memory enabled in Win3.x, exit Windows first.

Last edited by derSammler on 2019-10-05, 16:17. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 23, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Errius wrote:

I think you're supposed to press CTRL-ALT-DEL to flush the SMARTDRV cache before cutting the power. Is this what you mean?

Well, My IBM PS/1 has a proprietary power switch and power supply.
In Win3x the power switch does not work.
So I can exit to IBM DOS menu and then select to go to DOS command line.
But in the command line the power button still does not work.
So what I am doing is at DOS command line I perform a “Control-alt-Delete”
To reboot the computer and at this point the power button works again so I can power off the computer.
I don’t think there is anything wrong with the power switch or power supply.
I just think this is the way this IBM PS/1 Is engineered.

Maybe there is a bios setting I need to look at ?

Reply 5 of 23, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I like to yank the plug from the wall while Windows is busy doing something important with the file system. Screw soft power off, this is how real men shut down their computers.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 6 of 23, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
derSammler wrote:

When using smartdrive, always load it with the /X parameter. FAT is a very weak filesystem and can't really take interruption while writing, so you don't want write cache.

Apart from that, you don't shut down a DOS/Win3.x machine. Just turn it off when you're done. If you have virtual memory enabled in Win3.x, exit Windows first.

So to setup smartdrive.exe you just enter it into autoexec.bat with /X parameter ?

Attachments

Reply 7 of 23, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes that's right. Put it in your AUTOEXEC.BAT.

It make sense since nobody is using their retro computers to write large amounts of data to disk.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 8 of 23, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Never had a 386 or 486 that didn't switch off when the systems power button is pressed and that includes PS/1s in the 30 years I've used them.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 9 of 23, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Errius wrote:

I think you're supposed to press CTRL-ALT-DEL to flush the SMARTDRV cache before cutting the power. Is this what you mean?

No you don't have to do that. At the Dos prompt just wait about 5 seconds after drive activity is stopped and turn it off using the systems power button. Nothing magical about it at all. On more sophisticated OSs such as OS/2/*nix, hell even Win9x, it told you when to turn off your system or your system is halted ready for power off.

Reply 10 of 23, by FAMICOMASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I exit to DOS, do a CLS, and flip the switch.

If the machine has an MFM/RLL/ESDI hard drive, I run PARK.COM first.

That's it.

Reply 11 of 23, by realnc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I never disabled the write cache. It hurts performance. I used a simple batch file called "FLUSH.BAT" and put it in C:\DOS that contained:

SMARTDRV /C

This flushed the cache to disk. I simply typed FLUSH before switching the computer off.

Reply 13 of 23, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Errius wrote:

I believe PARKing the drive is only needed if the computer is going to be physically moved.

No.
Early drives should always be parked to avoid the heads landing on the usable areas of the platters.
Later drives (pretty much IDE onwards) auto-park when powered off.

Reply 14 of 23, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
realnc wrote:

I never disabled the write cache. It hurts performance. I used a simple batch file called "FLUSH.BAT" and put it in C:\DOS that contained:

SMARTDRV /C

This flushed the cache to disk. I simply typed FLUSH before switching the computer off.

This is correct

Reply 15 of 23, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
maxtherabbit wrote:
realnc wrote:

SMARTDRV /C

This is correct

That is ONE way not the ONLY way of shutting down a 386/486. The user may be using another hdd cache, no cache or any number of other configurations such as networking, TSRs etc needed to be shut down to power down.

Reply 16 of 23, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, My 486 IBM PS/1 has a feature called "Rapid resume" it is like "Hibernation mode" for the Win-3.1 on 486 computer. If you have this feature turned on then I assume you are never suppose to
turn off the computer. You are suppose to let this feature manage the computer and it will go into Hibernation on it's own after 15 minutes.

If you turn this feature off then the computer works like a normal 486 and you can turn the computer off with just the Power button.

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2019-10-06, 09:45. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 17 of 23, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So you obviously disable the feature. After all you only play games on it as stated by your previous posts. So no precious data will be destroyed. Have you considered this quick resume feature may be the cause of your systems boot loop?

Reply 18 of 23, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Caluser2000 wrote:

That is ONE way not the ONLY way of shutting down a 386/486. The user may be using another hdd cache, no cache or any number of other configurations such as networking, TSRs etc needed to be shut down to power down.

Yes, I was only agreeing with that being the correct way to flush the SMARTDRV cache. Obviously that wouldn't apply if the user is not using SMARTDRV

Reply 19 of 23, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thought it was time to recap.

20191006_190829.jpg
Filename
20191006_190829.jpg
File size
1.22 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

20191006_200749.jpg
Filename
20191006_200749.jpg
File size
976.79 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception