VOGONS

Reply 20 of 29, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks, but how can I indentify the date you say?

IMG-20191008-220809.jpg

IMG-20191008-220821.jpg

So I go under the section Voodoo3 and download the driver near the release date of my video card? I take the glide2x.ovl and put it in the game directory?

Computer lover since 1992.
Love retro-computing, retro-gaming, high-end systems and all about computer-tech.
Love beer, too.

Reply 21 of 29, by Justin1091

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sound familiar, all I had to do was to put REM in front of device=c:\windows\emm386.exe iirc.

The creative drivers for Windows 95/98 should work fine with 98SE. I've Always used those. Take a look at falconfly.de

You can also try a game that doesn't need a CD and boot in DOS safe mode, that way you can make sure your drivers (glide2x.ovl) are ok. I've used Carmageddon 1 for this often, boot up in DOS safe mode, start the game and see if it freezes. If it doesn't there is something in your config.sys (like emm386 in my case) or your autoexec.bat that the game doesn't like. Could even be a mouse driver or whatever in your case?

Only other thing I can think of is a processor that's too fast, but that only happened with my v2 setup. Still might be worth a try to downclock your CPU to check if it still freezes.

Reply 22 of 29, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

From this forum's description:

Getting old DOS games working on modern hardware.

Ask Ask old hardware questions in Marvin. Marvin, the Paranoid Android

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 24 of 29, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Banshee needed patches for most glide games to work. Search the web and you might get lucky for some games. Otherwise try v2 patches or v3 or indeed the .ovl files from these cards. A lot of info can be found in this Voodoo 2 DOS Glide compatibility matrix and there are patches for v2 and v3 (v3 on later pages).

Screamer2 and Screamer rally can give you a hard time on anything that is not a voodoo1. I managed to get them working on v1, v2, v2 sli, voodoo3 and even a voodoo5 with AA so it IS possible on most voodoo's(but sorry, forgot the details/steps and didn't try Rush or Banshee). A lot of it is discussed in the above thread (search the later pages for screamer stuff). There are 2 executables for v2 for screamer2, find them both and try... If you use a no-cdrom version it will not work with these exectubles so you need a cd in your drive (will hang on black screen or display the cd message). Voodoo3 only works with the oldest driver .ovl, others will not work at all...maybe it works with the Banshee? BTW, some Rush patches work also fine on Banshee with some games.

All of this is the main reason you really want a voodoo1 card for dos. It simply works out of the box. But a lot of these dos glide games also work in win9x and there the driver can be easily altered in the settings tab and make it a bit more compatible (like the max. 2mb setting,can be done on the command line in real dos as well). So also try windows 95/98/ME for dos glide games.

I have a system build for every version of the 3dfx cards but I usually avoid using Banshee and Rush as these cards give me much more problems in glide games than v1,v2 and v3. Voodoo4 and 5 are also much less compatible out of the box but work great in the later windows glide games and give maximum performance/resolution (together with v3).

Keep us updated and write down the working steps if you get it working. Others will benefit as well in the future from your experiences!

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 25 of 29, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

oh my God this is so frustrating.

So pratically I can play with Glide only under Windows environment.

What a pity, this is incredibile.

Love retro-computing, retro-gaming, high-end systems and all about computer-tech.
Love beer, too.

Reply 27 of 29, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Cause I have this Voodoo Banshee for free, a friend of mine gave it to me.

Tonite I managed to make work GTA, I am running through 3DFX on 800x600x16 in my system now upgraded to K6-2+ 450MHZ cpu.
I am really impressed, on DOS it work really smoothly for that resolution.

This is the right way isn't it?

Can I try other games with this .ovl file or every one game needs of a different file/patch??

Thanks

Love beer, too.

Reply 28 of 29, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
biessea wrote on 2020-03-25, 22:55:
Cause I have this Voodoo Banshee for free, a friend of mine gave it to me. […]
Show full quote

Tonite I managed to make work GTA, I am running through 3DFX on 800x600x16 in my system now upgraded to K6-2+ 450MHZ cpu.

Can I try other games with this .ovl file or every one game needs of a different file/patch??

Thanks

That's the thing... Yes and no.
Yes, you can try to use this .ovl file with other games as well and...
Yes, you kind of have to try out which driver version (.ovl) works best / works at all with every individual game.
Especially when it comes to using a V2 or Banshee instead of a V1 for a game that expects a V1.
Unsurprisingly, older DOS drivers for the V2 give better results / sucessrates.

Reply 29 of 29, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jaZz_KCS wrote on 2020-03-26, 12:43:
That's the thing... Yes and no. Yes, you can try to use this .ovl file with other games as well and... Yes, you kind of have to […]
Show full quote
biessea wrote on 2020-03-25, 22:55:
Cause I have this Voodoo Banshee for free, a friend of mine gave it to me. […]
Show full quote

Thanks

That's the thing... Yes and no.
Yes, you can try to use this .ovl file with other games as well and...
Yes, you kind of have to try out which driver version (.ovl) works best / works at all with every individual game.
Especially when it comes to using a V2 or Banshee instead of a V1 for a game that expects a V1.
Unsurprisingly, older DOS drivers for the V2 give better results / sucessrates.

Ok thanks a lot.

Now I put the same glide2.ovl file in the Screamer Rally directory and it works flawless! I choose the video mode 3dfx from the setup and so on, the games starts regulary. WOW.

No I want to try with Screamer 2, and other titles and make you know.

At the moment so, I have GTA and Screamer Rally working.

I continue the test now that finally I can have a good feedback.

Love beer, too.