VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have this card, and I am using a homemade breakout cable to get S-Video out from it. Except, I can't seem to get any video whatsoever in MS-DOS. The cable was made according to these pinouts and I triple checked it to make sure it is correct: https://pinouts.ru/Audio-Video-Hardware/ati_v … ut_pinout.shtml

At this point I can only speculate that this card's TV Out functionality needs to be enabled by a Windows driver or something and does not work in MS-DOS; but I can't find a way to verify this in any way. If anyone has this card and can check their TV-Out works in MS-DOS or not, I would be very grateful.

ATI-All-In-Wonder-Pro.jpg

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1 of 10, by RaverX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have the card, the layout its a bit different, it has a slot for extra ram, but it's almost identical. It was my main card back in the days (1998) in a Cyrix 233 computer. The problem is that I don't have any device with S-Video input to test it. I think I still have somewhere an external TV Tuner that might have S-Video input, but I'm not sure. If I find it I'll try to test. I assume you want to know if the card can boot from start with S-Video output (BIOS, DOS).

Reply 2 of 10, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RaverX wrote on 2020-02-12, 15:34:

I have the card, the layout its a bit different, it has a slot for extra ram, but it's almost identical. It was my main card back in the days (1998) in a Cyrix 233 computer. The problem is that I don't have any device with S-Video input to test it. I think I still have somewhere an external TV Tuner that might have S-Video input, but I'm not sure. If I find it I'll try to test. I assume you want to know if the card can boot from start with S-Video output (BIOS, DOS).

That is exactly what I want to know, and I would be incredibly grateful if you can test that out!

Reply 5 of 10, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote on 2020-02-12, 20:24:

That page is the video out pinout..

This page? The one titled "ATI All-In-Wonder input from S-Video / composite Video / Audio cable pinout" ?

Reply 6 of 10, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I found a pinout here (second picture) that I haven't verified yet, could be for another AIW card as well. Give it a shot maybe?

Btw: if that's an original picture your card may have a remainder of the original cable still stuck in the Video Out port.

Reply 7 of 10, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

...Actually, now that I think about it again, there was an occasion when I was trying to get my AIW Pro to do TV-out, and it refused to do it at boot until I finally gave up, plugged in a monitor, and enabled TV-out in Windows. Then it would do TV-out at boot. I can't recall any details like if it would stop working if I did a hard reset.

Reply 8 of 10, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote on 2020-02-12, 21:51:
appiah4 wrote on 2020-02-12, 20:24:

That page is the video out pinout..

This page? The one titled "ATI All-In-Wonder input from S-Video / composite Video / Audio cable pinout" ?

Page title is wrong if you check the card manual still hosted on AMD site miraculously that cable is an AV Out cable. The AV in cable has red/white female tos plugs.

Reply 9 of 10, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote on 2020-02-13, 03:13:

...Actually, now that I think about it again, there was an occasion when I was trying to get my AIW Pro to do TV-out, and it refused to do it at boot until I finally gave up, plugged in a monitor, and enabled TV-out in Windows. Then it would do TV-out at boot. I can't recall any details like if it would stop working if I did a hard reset.

That is how I think it is. Some confirmation would be awesome.

Reply 10 of 10, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Doornkaat wrote on 2020-02-12, 23:31:

I found a pinout here (second picture) that I haven't verified yet, could be for another AIW card as well. Give it a shot maybe?

Btw: if that's an original picture your card may have a remainder of the original cable still stuck in the Video Out port.

That is the cable for Radeon AIW cards.

I removed the part in that socket after I took the photo and realized it was there 😁