VOGONS

My Pentium III build

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 54, by khyypio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RoyBatty wrote:

It's well put together. My only advice is to relax.

Your English is clear enough for me to understand fine and I speak it natively.

Looking forward to more.

Thanks! Yes, my on-screen presence is very tense because of my inexperience. Surely my appearance will become more relaxed and natural over time.

Reply 21 of 54, by khyypio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I upgraded my retro-PC:

- Pentium 3 800EB > Pentium 3 1.4 GHz-S Tualatin
- nVidia GeForce 2 GTS > nVidia GeForce 2 Ultra
- SB Live! CT4830 > SB Live! SB0100
- Improved cable management
- Better paintjob

1.jpg
Filename
1.jpg
File size
1.73 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
2.jpg
Filename
2.jpg
File size
1.87 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
3.jpg
Filename
3.jpg
File size
1.16 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I´m also working on a video about the project 😀

Reply 22 of 54, by texterted

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Looks really good, with nice attention to detail.

Looking forwards to the video.

Cheers

Ted

98se/W2K :- Asus A8v Dlx. A-64 3500+, 512 mb ddr, Radeon 9800 Pro, SB Live.
XP Pro:- Asus P5 Q SE Plus, C2D E8400, 4 Gig DDR2, Radeon HD4870, SB Audigy 2ZS.

Reply 23 of 54, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Your first video is really impressive!

The picture is great, and you yourself are a nice-looking guy! You also have this sort of dead pan delivery of jokes that works really nice for you.

What kind of equipment do you use for recording? I want to make videos myself, but always figured that I need to get better light in my house.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 24 of 54, by khyypio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jheronimus wrote on 2019-12-28, 17:21:

Your first video is really impressive!

The picture is great, and you yourself are a nice-looking guy! You also have this sort of dead pan delivery of jokes that works really nice for you.

What kind of equipment do you use for recording? I want to make videos myself, but always figured that I need to get better light in my house.

Well, thanks! 😁 Photography has been my addiction for almost 8 years now, so I was able to implement my gear and experience into making videos. I have Canon 6D Mark II, Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD and Sigma APO 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM readily to be used in video making. I just had get a wireless mic (Saramonic SR-WM4C) and a light. For the light solution I bought an Walimex Spiral Daylight Lamp (50W, E27), which I managed to mod into a speedlight softbox.

Reply 26 of 54, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Very nice work.
Your English is fine.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 27 of 54, by khyypio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

One of my desires, regarding retro gaming, is getting modern controllers to work on Windows 98 system, specifically wireless controllers. And there´s been a development: https://youtu.be/lNddWqHl5WM

Yes, I finally got first hand confirmation that wireless Dualshock 4s WORKS on Windows 98! However, there are some problems that I need a little help with but before I dive into it, I´d also like to show this:

gamepads.jpg
Filename
gamepads.jpg
File size
1.41 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Those are USB-wired Spartan Gear Oplon controllers, they are very cheap and you can choose whether you wan´t to use DirectInput or XInput, DirectInput obviously being the preferred choice. And yes, you can use two of those bad boys at once if you wan´t to play with a friend! You need a USB 2.0 PCI adapter, nusb36.exe driver file and you Windows 98 installation CD. When you´ve installed your adapter and USB drivers, just plug your first gamedpad on your PC and install drivers from your Win98 CD. After this, plug your second gamepad in and repeat.

I can confirm that this particular controller doesn´t require any other drivers, but this isn´t the case with all gamepads. Some controllers need their own drivers and those typically won´t work with Windows 98. So don´t buy the first DI controller you find, make sure it doesn´t need its own drivers!

Now, I bought this

bt dongle.jpg
Filename
bt dongle.jpg
File size
1.33 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

from a certain Nordic online shop because according to the description in both the website and the product, it´s suppose work on Windows 98. It doesn´t. The installer in the driver disc won´t finish and give´s this notification:

error.jpg
Filename
error.jpg
File size
743.02 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I also can´t find suitable drivers from the internet. So if you´re thinking about buying this dongle for your Win98 rig, DON´T!

Then I tested a Billionton UBTBR2 dongle, a very old Bluetooth 1.2 stick. It will detect and sometimes even pair with DS4 but it simply works unreliably and doesn´t connect again after rebooting. Not fun! If anybody has experience getting Bluetooth dongles (USB 2.0) working under Windows 98, PLEASE share your thoughts! Obviously, the newer the BT version, the better.

Regarding my videos, next I will make a video about getting USB file transfer and a wireless mouse to work on a Win98 rig, and after that a video about the Oplon gamepads. Wireless DS4s will be a video subject only when they work perfectly stable. 😀

Reply 28 of 54, by BX300A

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Great thread. I love seeing a good Tualatin build. Your vids are nicely shot, excellent lighting. Keep up the good work.

386DX40, Amiga 600, Pentium 75, Celeron 300A, Pentium III-S 1.4, Athlon XP2400+, Pentium 4 I do not care for, Pentium M 780, Core 2 Q6600, i7 3770K

Reply 30 of 54, by khyypio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I couldn´t find any videos on how to get wireless mouse working on Windows 98, so here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAvUllPhWnQ

Edit.: Thanks, BX300A & foil_fresh! That means a lot!

Reply 32 of 54, by khyypio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I´m starting to feel like this is the never-ending project...

GeForce2 Ultra was part of my last upgrade last December, but I thought I might as well take it up a notch and found this GeForce4 Ti4200:

IMG_20200326_190319_01.jpg
Filename
IMG_20200326_190319_01.jpg
File size
1.44 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I have no idea what brand this is, don´t ask 😁 Someone in Facebook thinks it´s Palit Daytona... doesn´t matter to me, it works great. Since I was tired of my previous GPU fans screaming like nobodys business, I started to look for passive coolers and ended up with Zalman ZM80C-HP.

cooler.jpg
Filename
cooler.jpg
File size
1.67 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

The original Teapo caps on my motherboard started to bulge and some of them were leaking. I replaced them with a nice set of Panasonic FR caps.

2200uf.jpg
Filename
2200uf.jpg
File size
1.68 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
1500uf.jpg
Filename
1500uf.jpg
File size
721.13 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I wiped the leaking caps before taking the photos but the bulging is visible, although I know we´ve all seen worse. Still, why replace just one when you just have replace another later? Old Teapo caps retached:

oldcaps.jpg
Filename
oldcaps.jpg
File size
737.62 KiB
Views
File comment
Old Teapo caps
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 34 of 54, by khyypio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2020-07-08, 20:40:

How are your temps with the passive heatsink? It's a great system your building.

Well, it heats which is good, means the heat transfer works like it should 😁 I didn´t measure any data to benchmark, but 3DMark 2001 demo has been running on loop for about an hour and the temperature has been steady for a while now. The cooler is hot but not too hot to touch, I can keep my fingers for a few seconds on it where the chip is located.

Reply 35 of 54, by bofh.fromhell

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
khyypio wrote on 2020-07-09, 17:08:

How are your temps with the passive heatsink? It's a great system your building.

Well, it heats which is good, means the heat transfer works like it should 😁 I didn´t measure any data to benchmark, but 3DMark 2001 demo has been running on loop for about an hour and the temperature has been steady for a while now. The cooler is hot but not too hot to touch, I can keep my fingers for a few seconds on it where the chip is located.

Just watched your video with the loud GF2-U fan.
There are brand new replacements available.
Just search for "Nv-1017".
Even matches the color of your Elsa!

Reply 36 of 54, by gex85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I really like those Zalman GPU heatsinks. I had one back in the day for my GF2 Ti and now I try to buy them whenever I can get them cheap.

My retro computers

Reply 37 of 54, by khyypio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bofh.fromhell wrote on 2020-07-11, 16:00:
Just watched your video with the loud GF2-U fan. There are brand new replacements available. Just search for "Nv-1017". Even mat […]
Show full quote
khyypio wrote on 2020-07-09, 17:08:

Just watched your video with the loud GF2-U fan.
There are brand new replacements available.
Just search for "Nv-1017".
Even matches the color of your Elsa!

Thanks for the tip, I´ll keep that in mind!

gex85 wrote on 2020-07-11, 18:40:

I really like those Zalman GPU heatsinks. I had one back in the day for my GF2 Ti and now I try to buy them whenever I can get them cheap.

Yeah, they are getting difficult to find. I got really lucky with mine.

Reply 39 of 54, by khyypio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sketching custom wallpapers and splash screens...

1_startup.jpg
Filename
1_startup.jpg
File size
1.21 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
2_wallpaper.jpg
Filename
2_wallpaper.jpg
File size