VOGONS

Reply 1020 of 1699, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
elianda wrote:

Hmm, this makes me really wonder, because recording straight from the game should be in principle authentic.

Provided the initial SysEx transfer was problem free.

elianda wrote:

One thing that could be an issue is that I use a Old MT-32 and RetroGC uses a New MT-32 ?

I do not think old vs new MT-32 could cause such huge difference. The problem in your recording sounds to be instrument upload related. The MT-32 version designates Channel 6 as a quasi drum channel in case of this theme. One of the custom instruments on Channel 6 is 'Hi-Hat----'. In your recording this instrument sound like a bird whistle. It's definitely not right. The other problematic custom instrument is 'HeavyBass-' on Channel 4. In your recording this also sounds off, more like a square wave than a bass.
Try to play this on your old MT-32 and report back (no external syx file is required, all necessary SysEx messages are included in the Midi file itself):

Filename
07 - Rulers of Arrakis.zip
File size
10.11 KiB
Downloads
78 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 1021 of 1699, by Roland User

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Falcosoft wrote:

I think using such phrases as 'not correct' and 'destruct melodies' is a little bit exaggerated. Of course Youtube's compression (and conversion to 44.1 kHz) is not ideal but it's far from being 'destructive'. Not everyone is such perfectionist as you. For the majority of us content like this can be very useful.
Also if you want to use a Youtube channel to share content ( as many others do) you have no other format options anyway.

I understand , but will better if easy uploading examples in flac or any other lossless coder on any other file-sharing. For example https://www.dropbox.com/ )

Reply 1022 of 1699, by RetroGC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Roland User wrote:

RetroGC
Your records created not correct , if you wanted what be we can hear as work real hardware , you need recorded as Lossless FLAC or TAK or WavPack ) but not youtube , insofar as youtube use MP4 128 and very destruct melodies.

Hi,
first of all thanks for this advise (this time my track was correct btw errors could happen and when i found errors I reupload after a new recording/encoding all video again). I use youtube for my soundtrack's project, that's true and that's for visibility youtube can give too 😀 , btw, all my soundtrack's video are encoded with audio 320kbs and then uploaded. maybe just my first 700 video uploaded was not so good, but now I've learned how to use ffmpeg, and automated a few the process, so i think i've raised about 5000 video. Now I've Mt-32 not connected (all my external synth to say the truth: when I've few time I just upload songs, with some DSP enhancements such as dynamic eq, limiter etc; when I've a lot of time I record MIDI). About MT-32 mine is the new version (if i don't remember wrong).
Aldo

Last edited by RetroGC on 2019-10-03, 07:59. Edited 1 time in total.

My Videogames Music Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/c/RetroGamesClub

Reply 1023 of 1699, by RetroGC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
elianda wrote:

@RetroGC could you specify that in the video descriptions?

I'll do that but before I want to check it again.

Reply 1024 of 1699, by RetroGC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Falcosoft wrote:

I don't know what can cause this difference exactly (maybe some SysEx transfer related issue) but according to the recording at Video Game Music Preservation Foundation RetroGC's recording is correct (but it is not normalized)...

normalized ??? What does this mean?

Hope you'll find a few time for some new feature... for example and external 16channel mixer (working with external synth as well as soundfont).

And just a little new request: do you think it would be possible to load 2 soundfont files and assign them to tracks according to user's preferences? For example soundfont file 1 for track 1to9 and soundfont 2 for track 10 and 11 to 16? And Then... to use a soundfont for some track... and an external synth for others always specyfing the tracks? To do this now i've to record the track i need twice and then merge... I'm doing dome experiment with GBA GM Soundtrack.

Thank you. Aldo

Reply 1025 of 1699, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RetroGC wrote:

normalized ??? What does this mean?

The audio part is not (peak) normalized to 0 dBFS. If you check your video's statistics on Youtube you can see that content loudness is -11.8dB (unnecessarily too quiet).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_normalization
https://www.homebrewaudio.com/audio-normalization-care/

Compare your video's audio level to this recording and I think you will understand what I mean:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQ5NUEuim8A
http://www.vgmpf.com/Wiki/images/b/be/107_-_D … _of_Arrakis.ogg

RetroGC wrote:

And just a little new request: do you think it would be possible to load 2 soundfont files and assign them to tracks according to user's preferences? For example soundfont file 1 for track 1to9 and soundfont 2 for track 10 and 11 to 16? And Then... to use a soundfont for some track... and an external synth for others always specyfing the tracks? To do this now i've to record the track i need twice and then merge... I'm doing dome experiment with GBA GM Soundtrack.

As I said before for such tasks you should use a DAW or sequencer not a Midi Player. So I'm sorry to say that apart from the fact that nowadays I have no time to add more features I do not think this will be the 1st one I will implement when I will have more time.

Reply 1026 of 1699, by RetroGC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Falcosoft wrote:

As I said before for such tasks you should use a DAW or sequencer not a Midi Player. So I'm sorry to say that apart from the fact that nowadays I have no time to add more features I do not think this will be the 1st one I will implement when I will have more time.

I'll always have faith and patience... no ways... for MIDI files, IMHO your software is unbeatable. Try to imagine: for example with a mixer I can set the otpimal settings for a soundfont (or a couple 😀 ) or an external synth and then record maybe 100 tracks of a game with your batch procedure... Or maybe with the other feature I requested I can change on the fly the over 1000 instruments an external synth provide and determine best settings for a game and play the whole playlist... I'll wait, and I hope to support again your software in future.

elianda wrote:

@RetroGC could you specify that in the video descriptions?

I've checked: I've the first MT-32 release. I'm going to update (asap) my video descriptions.

Aldo

Reply 1029 of 1699, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
KainXVIII wrote:

Can i crank the volume of midi playback past maximum? Usually its pretty quiet in games with Roland SC VSTi..

If I remember correctly you have already solved this problem by using LoudMax:
Re: Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player

KainXVIII wrote:
Falcosoft wrote:
@ KainXVIII: As James-F has already pointed out in his SC-VA topic SC-VA's maximum volume is intentionally low. FSMP has nothing […]
Show full quote

@ KainXVIII:
As James-F has already pointed out in his SC-VA topic SC-VA's maximum volume is intentionally low. FSMP has nothing to do with it. But as a fortunate FSMP user you have many possibilities since VST effect plugins (gain/normalizer etc.) are also supported 😀 . I currently use this plugin with SC-VA to get some volume gain:
http://loudmax.blogspot.hu/
Video as I'm using it. But definitely S-YXG50 does not need it...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8qfXEpifvI&feature=youtu.be

Thanks, works like a charm!

You can also use SimpleGainVst that can be found in MidiPlayer's package. Contrary to LoudMax it simply applies gain unconditionally (without checking signal clipping). Maybe that's what you need.

Reply 1030 of 1699, by KainXVIII

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Falcosoft wrote:
KainXVIII wrote:

Can i crank the volume of midi playback past maximum? Usually its pretty quiet in games with Roland SC VSTi..

If I remember correctly you have already solved this problem by using LoudMax:

Solved and forgot about it 😵 Sorry.

Reply 1031 of 1699, by RetroGC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RetroGC wrote:
Hi, just to know, if there are any news about this. […]
Show full quote
Falcosoft wrote:
If you had read the post and the one above it I referenced in my previous post you should have noticed that my response was refe […]
Show full quote

If you had read the post and the one above it I referenced in my previous post you should have noticed that my response was referring to a similar idea:
file.php?id=30941&t=1

Hi,
just to know, if there are any news about this.

Then I would like to ask a feature, if possible, that would really help me with mixing (when working with tons of sound).
Is it possible to have a testbox in a separate small window (like the one for ecample where i write sysex messages) where some one could set a message like this...

Channel, Prog, MSB, LSB, New Prog, New MSB, New LSB
example:

2 ....

(This would change acoustic piano to bright piano and nylon guitar to muted guitar)

so it would be possible to change on the fly settings, before playback again midi file... this would be really usefull, to me for example, for midi obtained from Super nintendo original's SPC, trying to get a similar sound to the one of the Snes Syntethizer and when working with excternal synth and tons of sounds....
I think that this would be a super faster way to change on the fly... whole songs settingsm, trying to mix it. If software find this info in the text box... just change on the fly... the value contained in the midi file.... Just an Idea, thank you for your help.

Aldo

Hi.
This is just a try. If my Youtube project, and uploaded songs are growing, it's just thanks to your Software. I'm just trying to ask again, for the above features which could allow me to change with an easy textbox all the necessary info to test (on the fly) a lot of external synth's sounds without using a daw, and maybe do a best remix before... batch recording.
Thank you.
Aldo

Reply 1032 of 1699, by kvazar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Some wishes to the midi player:
1. The "Shuffle" button turns off each time the program is restarted. I wish to save it on if it was turned on before turning off the program
2. The next song button launches the next file in the playlist even when the "Shuffle" mode is on. You have to rewind to the end of the song so that the song jumps to the random one and not to the next one on the list. I wish in the "Shuffle" mode the button "Next Song" to execute a random track, not next in the playlist
3. When you turn on the program, the first song in the playlist always starts. If "Shuffle" mode is enabled, then a random track should be launched
4. Add column with a track number in the playlist
5. Can you add a "Convert" mode? I want to convert a folder with midi files to mp3 without listening them all. Or only option is a Batch mode + listening them all several hours?
6 . Add a fast filter for search in the playlist
7. Add jump to filename if user press name chars on the keyboard (like files in the Windows Explorer)
8. Add column with a music number in the playlist
9. How to add a unique soundfont for each midi track in the playlist? Add an option to Mouse Context Menu "Set soundfont to this track..." ?
10. Add "Show on/off" checkbox for each column in the mouse context menu
11. Add a configurable global keyboard shortcuts (next track, previous track, pause, mute)

Last edited by kvazar on 2020-02-23, 17:29. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1033 of 1699, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kvazar wrote on 2020-02-23, 16:47:

Some wishes to the midi player:...

As you may have noticed there have not been any new versions released lately. It's because I have no much free time nowadays. So I cannot promise your wishes will be implemented in the near future. Regarding point 9 on your list it's already implemented. From the Readme file:

15 .Real time soundfont loading from playlist. Place your midi and sf2 file in the same directory with the same name, or postfix your sf2 file with the required bank number eg. mysong.mid mysong.sf2 loads the soundfont to bank 1, but mysong_008.sf2 loads the soundfont to bank 8.

Also you can place an SF2 file with the name 'Folder.sf2' in a given folder and all Midi files in the same folder will use it.

Reply 1034 of 1699, by nmonte

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, Falco! I've got a pair of MT-32 banks somewhere from the internets in SYX format, could they be loaded into MuntVsti somehow? I've tried loading with Hermann Seib's VSTHost (Engine->Send SysEx file) and with your MidiPlayer (SysEx options->Select/Send custom SysEx) to no avail.
Aforementioned files are zipped and attached to this message.

Attachments

• Filename
    mt32sounds.zip
    File size
    8.91 KiB
    Downloads
    65 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1035 of 1699, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
nmonte wrote on 2020-02-27, 23:06:

Hi, Falco! I've got a pair of MT-32 banks somewhere from the internets in SYX format, could they be loaded into MuntVsti somehow? I've tried loading with Hermann Seib's VSTHost (Engine->Send SysEx file) and with your MidiPlayer (SysEx options->Select/Send custom SysEx) to no avail.
Aforementioned files are zipped and attached to this message.

It's hard to test syx files without accompanying Midi files that were intended to play with them.
What have you expected and what have you experienced instead?
As for my short tests:
1. DrA_bank.syx is completely broken, it renders channel 1 to all parts and completely mutes instruments.
2. MT32TIM1.SYX seems to work perfectly. It adds new instruments to channel 10/drum part and also some melodic instruments such as Prrogram 10 'Spheres'. So the easiest way to test new instruments is to test them as new Drum notes. If you use the virtual keyboard of Midi Player you should set channel to 10 and use your mouse on the keyboard. On the interface of MuntVSTi you should see the names of the new instruments at channel 10 (such as 'WHY?' , 'SquEchO' etc.)

@Edit: You have to set MuntVsti into GM mode first for the new instruments of MT32TIM1.SYX to work. So it seems even this syx file has problems (missing parts?).

If you need further help please attach the accompanying Midi files also.

Reply 1036 of 1699, by nmonte

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Falcosoft wrote on 2020-02-28, 00:34:

DrA_bank.syx is completely broken, it renders channel 1 to all parts and completely mutes instruments.
2. MT32TIM1.SYX seems to work perfectly. It adds new instruments to channel 10/drum part and also some melodic instruments such as Prrogram 10 'Spheres'. So the easiest way to test new instruments is to test them as new Drum notes. If you use the virtual keyboard of Midi Player you should set channel to 10 and use your mouse on the keyboard. On the interface of MuntVSTi you should see the names of the new instruments at channel 10 (such as 'WHY?' , 'SquEchO' etc.)

Thank you, at least now I know now that it works.
Seems like it's not the intended way of playing the bank as drums, for it should be a bank of melodic instruments, as the readme suggests.
I've attached the original archive where those banks were found. There were no midi files, unfortunately.

Attachments

• Filename
    mt32sounds.rar
    File size
    7.93 KiB
    Downloads
    65 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1037 of 1699, by RetroGC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,
I was trying to recording music from a game, but I think I've found an issue, because, as each midi I'm loading has the relative soundfont, midiplayer is loading Soundfont incrementing the bank... so when i load this 32 midifiles... I've In the soundfont column... band10 to bank 330...I'll attach files with the first 5 midis and relatives soundfont. Thank you for your help.
Aldo

Attachments

• Filename
    Again.rar
    File size
    3.3 MiB
    Downloads
    64 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1038 of 1699, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RetroGC wrote on 2020-03-10, 06:25:

I was trying to recording music from a game, but I think I've found an issue, because, as each midi I'm loading has the relative soundfont, midiplayer is loading Soundfont incrementing the bank...

Hi,
Actually It's not an issue, it's a feature 😀
More precisely a side effect of this feature:

15 .Real time soundfont loading from playlist. Place your midi and sf2 file in the same directory with the same name, or postfix your sf2 file with the required bank number. eg. mysong.mid mysong.sf2 loads the soundfont to bank 1, but mysong_008.sf2 loads the soundfont to bank 8.

Namely if the last 3 digits of the SF2 file name can be interpreted as number FSMP thinks you deliberately assigned a Bank number to file name.
The simplest way to avoid this is to rename the files in a way that the last 3 digits cannot be interpreted as Bank numbers.
E.g:
BGM0010_.mid
BGM0010_.sf2

Later I will modify the code that in case of same named mid+sf2 files last 3 digits of SF2 file should not be interpreted as bank number, only when sf2 bank number is an additional postfix.

@EDIT:
OK, you can download the modified exe from here:
http://falcosoft.hu/midiplayer_58_test.zip

For all:
Since I have not released a new version for a long time (and I also do not see when I will have time to continue development I) have also added the x64 version with the latest fixes to the test package above.

Reply 1039 of 1699, by RetroGC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Falcosoft wrote on 2020-03-10, 07:40:

For all:
Since I have not released a new version for a long time (and I also do not see when I will have time to continue development I) have also added the x64 version with the latest fixes to the test package above.

But please, don't give up on this marvelous software. When you'll have time, try to implement it a few.
And thanks Again.
Aldo