Topic actions

Reply 32800 of 52694, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bought this Vibra 16 last week, but it arrived today -

0PwIeeFl.jpg

To be honest it was originally a mistaken purchase. By the time I'd noticed my error, I'd already purchased it.

But I'm not going to resell it as it will be a nice fit should I ever get around to building a DX4 + VLB system at some point in the next couple of years. I pretty much just need a case + suitable motherboard to complete that build now.

Reply 32801 of 52694, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Unknown_K wrote on 2020-03-04, 14:25:

Kind of a shame prices started to skyrocket after I got into them but I was lucky enough to snag 70+ classic Amiga boxed games for a couple bucks each back in the very early 2000's when they were being dumped.

You are a smarter man than I. I've mentioned this before in a forum somewhere, but in the late 90s I dumped two tubs of boxed Atari ST games. They were not all in perfect shape, but what a shame. I picked them all up for like $20 at the time.

Reply 32802 of 52694, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PTherapist wrote on 2020-03-04, 14:55:
Bought this Vibra 16 last week, but it arrived today - […]
Show full quote

Bought this Vibra 16 last week, but it arrived today -

0PwIeeFl.jpg

To be honest it was originally a mistaken purchase. By the time I'd noticed my error, I'd already purchased it.

But I'm not going to resell it as it will be a nice fit should I ever get around to building a DX4 + VLB system at some point in the next couple of years. I pretty much just need a case + suitable motherboard to complete that build now.

Curious, what did you think it was? It is a nice OPL3 Vibra16..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 32803 of 52694, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2020-03-04, 15:42:

Curious, what did you think it was? It is a nice OPL3 Vibra16..

I knew it was a Vibra16 & it's general specs etc, but I was specifically looking for a card with IDE to connect a CD-ROM and miscounted the number of connectors. This Vibra16 only has Pansonic, Mitsumi & Sony connectors.

Having a proper Yamaha OPL3 is pretty much the reason I'm keeping it, otherwise I'd have resold it.

Reply 32804 of 52694, by CharlieFoxtrot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got this lot for 20€. Everything has been working when they have been removed from computers back in the day and stored indoors, but only optical drives have been tested recently and SHOULD work. Most of it is pretty underwhelming, but for the price, I can't complain.

puotyxS.jpg

From top left down:
Aztech Multimedia Pro 16 IIB-3D
IBM MWave

From top middle down:
2xSB16 Vibra CT4180 (yuck)
ExpertColor MED3931 V2.0

From top right down:
Panasonic and Samsung 1.44MB FDD
ATi Mach64 ISA
Trident 8900C ISA

And finally, bunch of unused IDE and floppy as well as CDROM sound cables. Optical drives are LG GSA-4160B IDE DVD recorder and HP CD Writer PLUS 8200 series.

Finally working Gravis Pro for 14€ including shipping:

KvFCVfU.jpg

Reply 32805 of 52694, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I found this little guy for a future 386 build.

Attachments

Reply 32806 of 52694, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wiretap wrote on 2020-03-04, 10:37:

The Amiga came today.. just waiting on my power supply, video cable, and external floppy adapter to convert to an external Gotek for the boot drive. 😀

I am assuming you got a mouse with the thing correct?

My first Amiga was an A500 with 512K trapdoor RAM/RTC, an external Amiga 1011 floppy drive plus a Workbench 1.3 disk allowing me to use Amiga Explorer to make working game disks using a PC and serial cable. Fun little gaming machine that started me collecting other Amigas since. Kind of a shame prices started to skyrocket after I got into them but I was lucky enough to snag 70+ classic Amiga boxed games for a couple bucks each back in the very early 2000's when they were being dumped.

Not an Amiga mouse, but I purchased a PS/2 adapter converter for it.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 32808 of 52694, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bought a 486sx-16 today .. Just waiting for it to be shipped from Russia to Denmark 🤣

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 32811 of 52694, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just spent $50 on these... a bit steep but it seems to be really hard finding them.
the only other ones I ever found are from a seller wanting €70 for two and they didn't want to go down in price or bundled with really expensive CD-I systems, so I guess it's still a good deal ^^
here's me hoping that I can get my 1988 LMSI/Philips CM121 working 😀

sellers picture, as I'll have to wait for them to arrive from the US ^^

s-l1600.jpg
Filename
s-l1600.jpg
File size
234.95 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 32812 of 52694, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
imi wrote on 2020-03-04, 18:06:
Just spent $50 on these... a bit steep but it seems to be really hard finding them. the only other ones I ever found are from a […]
Show full quote

Just spent $50 on these... a bit steep but it seems to be really hard finding them.
the only other ones I ever found are from a seller wanting €70 for two and they didn't want to go down in price or bundled with really expensive CD-I systems, so I guess it's still a good deal ^^
here's me hoping that I can get my 1988 LMSI/Philips CM121 working 😀

sellers picture, as I'll have to wait for them to arrive from the US ^^

s-l1600.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong, but do old Apple SCSI optical drives also use these? They seem to be the same.

Reply 32815 of 52694, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
imi wrote on 2020-03-04, 18:28:

apple just used the "regular" caddy drives afaik, I think most of them were sony drives.

All right, that explains the price.

Reply 32817 of 52694, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wiretap wrote on 2020-03-04, 16:45:
wiretap wrote on 2020-03-04, 10:37:

The Amiga came today.. just waiting on my power supply, video cable, and external floppy adapter to convert to an external Gotek for the boot drive. 😀

I am assuming you got a mouse with the thing correct?

My first Amiga was an A500 with 512K trapdoor RAM/RTC, an external Amiga 1011 floppy drive plus a Workbench 1.3 disk allowing me to use Amiga Explorer to make working game disks using a PC and serial cable. Fun little gaming machine that started me collecting other Amigas since. Kind of a shame prices started to skyrocket after I got into them but I was lucky enough to snag 70+ classic Amiga boxed games for a couple bucks each back in the very early 2000's when they were being dumped.

Not an Amiga mouse, but I purchased a PS/2 adapter converter for it.

Smart. I had to buy new micro switches for a few of my original Amiga mice plus paid $20 a long time ago for a NIB Amiga/ST mouse. Keyboards are another issue when collecting big box Amigas.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 32818 of 52694, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
liqmat wrote on 2020-03-04, 15:01:

Kind of a shame prices started to skyrocket after I got into them but I was lucky enough to snag 70+ classic Amiga boxed games for a couple bucks each back in the very early 2000's when they were being dumped.

You are a smarter man than I. I've mentioned this before in a forum somewhere, but in the late 90s I dumped two tubs of boxed Atari ST games. They were not all in perfect shape, but what a shame. I picked them all up for like $20 at the time.

Well I am the same person who dumped a garbage bag full of boxes for my old DOS games in the late 1990's because of space (kept the manuals and media). We all make mistakes.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 32819 of 52694, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got some really fine Socket 4 stuff today

and also got a hard to find 133 MHz Socket 4 Pentium overdrive CPU for it (looks brand new):

uafku56.jpg

I really wanted those for by Socket 4 comparison project.

Last edited by mpe on 2020-03-09, 20:17. Edited 1 time in total.

Blog|NexGen 586|S4