Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
aha2940 wrote on 2020-04-04, 04:15:
Hi […]
Show full quote

Hi

I just tested HWinfo on my PC, and it worked fine. All I noticed was:

- Did not detect the NIC card at all (3Com 3C509B ISA)
- Detected the soundcard as an ESS688. It is an ESS1688F.

Would that log be interesting?

Thanks, yes, a log will be interesting !
Is the "Check 3Com EtherLink III Adapter" option enabled? At which I/O port is the 3Com card configured? HWiNFO currently checks 0x110 only.

Reply 161 of 881, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mumak wrote on 2020-04-04, 07:50:
Hi […]
Show full quote

Hi

Is the "Check 3Com EtherLink III Adapter" option enabled? At which I/O port is the 3Com card configured? HWiNFO currently checks 0x110 only.

Hi, I think that's the issue, the NIC is manually configured (PnP disabled) to 0x210 IIRC. I'll generate the log and see how to get it out the machine, since it has no working floppy drive and no CD burner...I'll have to use the NIC, 🤣.

Reply 162 of 881, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
aha2940 wrote on 2020-04-04, 14:17:
Hi […]
Show full quote

Hi

Hi, I think that's the issue, the NIC is manually configured (PnP disabled) to 0x210 IIRC. I'll generate the log and see how to get it out the machine, since it has no working floppy drive and no CD burner...I'll have to use the NIC, 🤣.

Sorry, I was a bit wrong with the statement. The 3Com EtherLink III uses 2 sets of ports: 200-3E0 is the standard port, but it also uses an ID port, which is in the 1x0 range. Can you determine which one is your card using? I have double-checked the code and it should work and properly detect the card.. unless the card would be somehow else configured...

Reply 163 of 881, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, I tested hwinfo dos 604 with my other 486 eisa computer (micronics asic eisa mainboard).
It worked quite good, everything was detected well, but ....
Showing Video Information made the program stuck.

I needed to reboot.

I ran it again with -r -v parameter, waited some time and then rebooted, see the log file.

Attachments

• Filename
    HWINFO.LOG
    File size
    10.15 KiB
    Downloads
    64 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 164 of 881, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-04-04, 17:11:
Hi, I tested hwinfo dos 604 with my other 486 eisa computer (micronics asic eisa mainboard). It worked quite good, everything wa […]
Show full quote

Hi, I tested hwinfo dos 604 with my other 486 eisa computer (micronics asic eisa mainboard).

I needed to reboot.

I ran it again with -r -v parameter, waited some time and then rebooted, see the log file.

Can you please take a picture where exactly it got stuck? Did it look same as in the report file?

Reply 165 of 881, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mumak wrote on 2020-04-04, 17:25:
Hi, I tested hwinfo dos 604 with my other 486 eisa computer (micronics asic eisa mainboard). It worked quite good, everything wa […]
Show full quote

I needed to reboot.

Can you please take a picture where exactly it got stuck? Did it look same as in the report file?

First screen was OK, but there were some garbage characters for BIOS INFO. It got stuck after pressing enter in the videp screen.
So yes exactly like in the log file.

Reply 166 of 881, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-04-04, 17:43:
Show full quote

I needed to reboot.

First screen was OK, but there were some garbage characters for BIOS INFO. It got stuck after pressing enter in the videp screen.

Please try this build if it's OK now:

Filename
HWINF604.ZIP
File size
962.74 KiB
Downloads
83 downloads
File license

Reply 167 of 881, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mumak wrote on 2020-04-04, 18:38:

HWINF604.ZIP

Everything looks correct now. Good job. I attached a log file

Attachments

• Filename
    HWINFO.LOG
    File size
    27.88 KiB
    Downloads
    64 downloads
    File license

Reply 168 of 881, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-04-04, 19:06:
Mumak wrote on 2020-04-04, 18:38:

HWINF604.ZIP

Everything looks correct now. Good job. I attached a log file

Perfect 😀 Thanks!

Reply 169 of 881, by Lylat1an

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here's the 6.0.4 report from my machine in case it's useful to you, Mumak.

Attachments

• Filename
    HWINFO.LOG
    File size
    152.87 KiB
    Downloads
    65 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 171 of 881, by Lylat1an

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mumak wrote on 2020-04-04, 20:35:
Lylat1an wrote on 2020-04-04, 20:11:

Thanks! Have you maybe noticed any issues or wrong information?

Sorry, I wasn't home when it ran, I made a bootable floppy with the -r switch and let it run while I got groceries.

When I got home it was at the A: prompt and the log file had been created.

I did glance through the log and found one thing that may be wrong: My Nvidia GeForce 6200 is in a PCI slot, not AGP.

It MIGHT have a PCI adapter chip, but I'm not sure.

Reply 172 of 881, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Lylat1an wrote on 2020-04-04, 22:18:
Sorry, I wasn't home when it ran, I made a bootable floppy with the -r switch and let it run while I got groceries. […]
Show full quote
Lylat1an wrote on 2020-04-04, 20:11:

Sorry, I wasn't home when it ran, I made a bootable floppy with the -r switch and let it run while I got groceries.

I did glance through the log and found one thing that may be wrong: My Nvidia GeForce 6200 is in a PCI slot, not AGP.

That should be OK, HWiNFO says:
Video Card Bus: PCI

Reply 173 of 881, by Lylat1an

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mumak wrote on 2020-04-04, 22:34:
Lylat1an wrote on 2020-04-04, 22:18:
Sorry, I wasn't home when it ran, I made a bootable floppy with the -r switch and let it run while I got groceries. […]
Show full quote

That should be OK, HWiNFO says:
Video Card Bus: PCI

Ah, all seems okay to me then. 😀

Reply 174 of 881, by mateusz.viste

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello Martin, I am glad to see HwInfo DOS having a reboot! I have a somewhat formal request though: could you please clarify the licensing terms? I assume HwInfo DOS is now "freeware, use at your own risk", is that correct? Is it okay to repackage it for further distribution, keeping all the original files intact? Specifically I'd be interested in adding HwInfo into the http://svarog386.sourceforge.net distribution, if that would be an acceptable thing to do.

http://mateusz.viste.fr | gopher://gopher.viste.fr

Reply 175 of 881, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mateusz.viste wrote on 2020-04-06, 11:44:

Hello Martin, I am glad to see HwInfo DOS having a reboot! I have a somewhat formal request though: could you please clarify the licensing terms? I assume HwInfo DOS is now "freeware, use at your own risk", is that correct? Is it okay to repackage it for further distribution, keeping all the original files intact? Specifically I'd be interested in adding HwInfo into the http://svarog386.sourceforge.net distribution, if that would be an acceptable thing to do.

Yes, HWiNFO DOS is freeware now and you can include it in that package under the mentioned conditions.

Reply 176 of 881, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mumak wrote on 2020-04-04, 15:30:
aha2940 wrote on 2020-04-04, 14:17:

Sorry, I was a bit wrong with the statement. The 3Com EtherLink III uses 2 sets of ports: 200-3E0 is the standard port, but it also uses an ID port, which is in the 1x0 range. Can you determine which one is your card using? I have double-checked the code and it should work and properly detect the card.. unless the card would be somehow else configured...

Hi! I attached the log generated by hwinfo on my PC. Strange things I noticed:

- The voodoo 3 card is detected as having only 4MB of RAM, when in fact it has 16MB.
- It says the voodoo card has SGRAM, but it has SDRAM.
- It says my soundcard is an ESS688, but it's an ESS1688F.

On a positive note, the 3Com Etherlink III card got detected correctly, I think it had issues before because the packet driver was not working correctly.

Attachments

• Filename
    HWINFO.LOG
    File size
    97.87 KiB
    Downloads
    64 downloads
    File comment
    DOS PC log file
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0

Reply 177 of 881, by zyzzle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@Mumak

Thanks for resurrecting HWiNFO for DOS! I registered just to say "thank you", but also to ask a vexing question:

Please, please re-enable Sensor support. That was always the most useful feature of Hwinfo for me. As well as the "Benchmark" section. These were fantastic features. Removing support for "modern" systems seems to also cripple the program greatly. There *are* a few of us still using DOS on the latest 9th and 10th generation i5, i7, and i9 systems!

Over at DOS Ain't Dead forum, there is a post about your reanimation of the program. That's how I was directed to your thread at Vogons.

"If you run out of conventional memory, why not create seperate modules as adjuncts to the main .exe file? I quote from a relevant post over at Dos Ain't Dead:

The idea is restore the funtion by an external sensor status module of the program, or an auxiliary program of HWInfo.

Similar to what happens in Norton Commander: ncedit.exe, term95.exe, packer.exe.."

I've been using it since the beginning, so please don't consider me ungrateful! This is just a question that perhaps you can answer if I am not too far out of line.

Reply 178 of 881, by roytam1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hwinfo 6.04 hangs in QEMU 0.9 - 0.15.
running hwinfo.exe without switch will see version dialog, hangs upon OK button is pressed and dialog disappears.
running `hwinfo -r` gives attached screenshot and hangs.

Filename
qemu-0.15.png
File size
9.38 KiB
Downloads
No downloads
File license
Public domain

Reply 179 of 881, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
roytam1 wrote on 2020-04-08, 06:07:
hwinfo 6.04 hangs in QEMU 0.9 - 0.15. running hwinfo.exe without switch will see version dialog, hangs upon OK button is pressed […]
Show full quote

hwinfo 6.04 hangs in QEMU 0.9 - 0.15.
running hwinfo.exe without switch will see version dialog, hangs upon OK button is pressed and dialog disappears.
running `hwinfo -r` gives attached screenshot and hangs.
qemu-0.15.png

HWiNFO was not designed to be run under virtual systems, I don't see a point of doing this as the 'hardware' in this case is not real, but virtualized. And the VMM will never be able to completely emulate all the special quirks of early systems.
Anyway, I will have a look at this.