VOGONS

Common searches

DOSBox-X branch

Topic actions

Reply 1860 of 2397, by pantercat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, still having same SM bug with 0.82.23 🙁 at least on my system: Debian x64 and dosbox-x compiled with ./build-debug

sm segment:offset af -> byte becomes 00
sm segment:offset bf -> byte becomes BF (OK)
sm segment:offset cf -> byte becomes 00
sm segment:offset df -> byte becomes 00
sm segment:offset ef -> byte becomes EF (OK)
sm segment:offset ff -> byte becomes FF (OK)

Same behaviour with "sm segment offset" syntax.

If you need more details or something you can ask, or if I can do something for fixing it.

Regards.

Reply 1861 of 2397, by hail-to-the-ryzen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It may not be reproducible, but where a large time delay occurs at startup (such as loading cd audio), then sometimes movement of the parent window before the shell loads will lead to a sudden exit.

Reply 1862 of 2397, by pantercat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I've manage to locate where the problem is.

For anyone interested the following patch will let you write bytes AC, AF, CF and DF in memory.

--- debug.cpp.ORIG	2019-12-01 01:27:21.000000000 +0100
+++ debug.cpp 2019-12-04 13:19:02.243257342 +0100
@@ -1330,10 +1330,6 @@
else if (strncmp(hex, "FS", 2) == 0) { hex += 2; regval = SegValue(fs); }
else if (strncmp(hex, "GS", 2) == 0) { hex += 2; regval = SegValue(gs); }
else if (strncmp(hex, "SS", 2) == 0) { hex += 2; regval = SegValue(ss); }
- else if (strncmp(hex, "AC", 2) == 0) { hex += 2; regval = GETFLAG(AC); }
- else if (strncmp(hex, "AF", 2) == 0) { hex += 2; regval = GETFLAG(AF); }
- else if (strncmp(hex, "CF", 2) == 0) { hex += 2; regval = GETFLAG(CF); }
- else if (strncmp(hex, "DF", 2) == 0) { hex += 2; regval = GETFLAG(DF); }
else if (strncmp(hex, "ID", 2) == 0) { hex += 2; regval = GETFLAG(ID); }
else if (strncmp(hex, "IF", 2) == 0) { hex += 2; regval = GETFLAG(IF); }
else if (strncmp(hex, "NT", 2) == 0) { hex += 2; regval = GETFLAG(NT); }

When I type "SM some:addr XX" I want to write opcode XX in memory, not 0 or 1 based on some flag value for XX=AC, AF, CF or DF.

Patch tested with last dosbox-x release: 0.82.24

Happy debugging 😀

Reply 1863 of 2397, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I believe the register/flag name parsing was originally intended to be for SR only, not for SM.

Does it work to write register values into memory (e.g. SM 0000:0200 AX)? If so, it may have been intended as a feature, but the collision between flag names and hex values could have been overlooked.

Reply 1865 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Found a bug in INT 10h AX=101Ah that was fixed for a game.

The function in DOSBox behind it reads the Attribute Controller in a way that leaves the screen blank.

You'd never notice in DOSBox SVN because SVN does not correctly emulate the display blanking caused by attribute controller programming (bit 5).

Prior to the change the function INT10_GetDACPage() was exactly the same in DOSBox-X as it was for DOSBox SVN.

https://github.com/joncampbell123/dosbox-x/issues/1362

DOSBox-X project: more emulation better accuracy.
DOSLIB and DOSLIB2: Learn how to tinker and hack hardware and software from DOS.

Reply 1866 of 2397, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I actually saw some of the issues on the projects github page, and one of them was a problem to run Photoshop on Win 3.x. Well, I have the same issue. It works for me with DosBox and cputype pentium_slow, but only after 2 or 3 attempts to run the software. Meanwhile, in DosPad, a port of dosbox for iOS, I can’t make it work. Since dospad is a very old port, is full of errors. But at least it runs my games and win 3.x.

I believe the issue (not only for dospad, but also for any version of dosbox including yours) is related to the cpu type.

While on vmware fusion, I can run the software well.

Edit: for what it is worth, I was attempting to run versions 3.0.4 and 3.0.5. All give me the same problem with win32s (even though I had it installed).

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 1867 of 2397, by Majinken

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I just registered and am not sure if this is the right thread to post this question...

Has anyone tried playing Defender of the Crown? All of the versions I tried have garbled sound/music when playing but works fine when I used normal dosbox. I even followed the conf file of the regular dosbox but still failed.

I am trying the Tandy and EGA version for anyone's reference. Thank you!

Do note that I have bought copies from both GOG and Steam but want to try Tandy version due to the music but it just hangs.

Reply 1868 of 2397, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Majinken wrote on 2020-04-15, 12:45:

Hi, I just registered and am not sure if this is the right thread to post this question...

Has anyone tried playing Defender of the Crown? All of the versions I tried have garbled sound/music when playing but works fine when I used normal dosbox. I even followed the conf file of the regular dosbox but still failed.

Looking at mobygames, there seem to be 3 PC versions.
- Original CGA only version for DOS
- re-released CGA/EGA version for DOS (not sure if this supports Tandy)
- PC Booter version with CGA/EGA and Tandy.

I have the PC Booter version, and when I start it in DOSBox-X with the default machine type, I gives me the choice for CGA or EGA graphics. And I get PC-Speaker sound.
If I instead start it with machine=tandy, it gives me the option between CGA and Tandy graphics, and I get Tandy sound.

Playing a bit with the Tandy version, I did not notice any corruption.

Reply 1869 of 2397, by Majinken

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
_Rob wrote on 2020-04-15, 16:34:
Looking at mobygames, there seem to be 3 PC versions. - Original CGA only version for DOS - re-released CGA/EGA version for DOS […]
Show full quote

I have the PC Booter version, and when I start it in DOSBox-X with the default machine type, I gives me the choice for CGA or EGA graphics. And I get PC-Speaker sound.
If I instead start it with machine=tandy, it gives me the option between CGA and Tandy graphics, and I get Tandy sound.

Aside from changing the machine type to "Tandy" on your conf, is there anything else you changed? Where did you purchase your PC Booter version? Why is it that when I play the Steam and GOG version in DOSBox-X, it get muffled or distorted sound? 🙁

Also, are you using the latest version of DOSBox-X?

Reply 1870 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Looking at mobygames, there seem to be 3 PC versions. - Original CGA only version for DOS - re-released CGA/EGA version for DOS […]
Show full quote

The Tandy emulation in DOSBox-X was inherited from DOSBox SVN when the two projects forked, so it should not differ too much. The only change is to the mixer code so that rapid changes are reflected properly so that games like Skate or Die can play digitized guitar samples through one of the Tandy voices and similar changes to Adlib emulation so some old 1990-era games can play digitized speech through the Adlib FM channels.

DOSLIB and DOSLIB2: Learn how to tinker and hack hardware and software from DOS.

Reply 1871 of 2397, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TheGreatCodeholio wrote on 2020-04-15, 17:35:
Show full quote

The Tandy emulation in DOSBox-X was inherited from DOSBox SVN when the two projects forked, so it should not differ too much. The only change is to the mixer code so that rapid changes are reflected properly so that games like Skate or Die can play digitized guitar samples through one of the Tandy voices and similar changes to Adlib emulation so some old 1990-era games can play digitized speech through the Adlib FM channels.

I have the latest development build, but for this test I purposely used the last released version of DOSBox-X (0.83.0). And I only set machine=tandy. My config is simply

[dosbox]
machine=tandy
[autoexec]
boot Defender_of_the_Crown.img

Reply 1872 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
_Rob wrote on 2020-04-15, 18:01:
I have the latest development build, but for this test I purposely used the last released version of DOSBox-X (0.83.0). And I on […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

I have the latest development build, but for this test I purposely used the last released version of DOSBox-X (0.83.0). And I only set machine=tandy. My config is simply

[dosbox]
machine=tandy
[autoexec]

What happens if you use core=normal and a fixed cycle count?

Reply 1873 of 2397, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TheGreatCodeholio wrote on 2020-04-16, 02:10:
I have the latest development build, but for this test I purposely used the last released version of DOSBox-X (0.83.0). And I on […]
Show full quote

[dosbox]
machine=tandy
[autoexec]

I tried with core=auto and cycles=1000 and cycles=10000, and with core=normal and again cycles=1000 and cycles=10000 and could not notice any difference.
Also tried it with vanilla dosbox 0.73-3, and to me (I'm definitely no audiophile) it again all sounded the same.

It sounded just like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekHDC5POPwQ

Reply 1874 of 2397, by Majinken

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Show full quote

[dosbox]
machine=tandy
[autoexec]

Thanks for the help, unfortunately, here are the results:
1. If I try to play using Tandy, it boots and just hangs on a blackscreen
2. When I use the EGA version, it runs but with the muffled/distorted dos-ish music/sound

I am attaching my conf settings for your reference... note that I'm using the Steam version (the DOS one).

Attachments

• Filename
    defender_tandy.7z
    File size
    28.55 KiB
    Downloads
    91 downloads
    File comment
    Video when I run the Tandy version
    File license
    Public domain
  • Filename
    defender_001.7z
    File size
    276.13 KiB
    Downloads
    70 downloads
    File comment
    Video of when I run the game (muffled / distorted sound)
    File license
    Public domain
  • Filename
    doc.conf
    File size
    9.44 KiB
    Downloads
    89 downloads
    File comment
    Defender of the crown Conf file
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1875 of 2397, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Majinken wrote on 2020-04-16, 10:34:
Thanks for the help, unfortunately, here are the results: 1. If I try to play using Tandy, it boots and just hangs on a blackscr […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

[dosbox]
machine=tandy
[autoexec]

2. When I use the EGA version, it runs but with the muffled/distorted dos-ish music/sound

I am attaching my conf settings for your reference... note that I'm using the Steam version (the DOS one).

I tried you config file, and after adjusting the autoexec part, it seems to work just fine with the PC Booter version of the game. So must be something with the DOS version...

Reply 1876 of 2397, by Majinken

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
_Rob wrote on 2020-04-16, 12:16:
Thanks for the help, unfortunately, here are the results: 1. If I try to play using Tandy, it boots and just hangs on a blackscr […]
Show full quote

I tried you config file, and after adjusting the autoexec part, it seems to work just fine with the PC Booter version of the game. So must be something with the DOS version...

Thanks! Did you get to hear what sound I'm hearing for the CGA and EGA versions? Weird thing is it only happens when I use DOSBox-X. The original fork doesn't have this problem (well maybe the sounds aren't as nice as the Tandy version and the sound also goes fast then slow at times on the original fork). At any rate, I hope this can be fixed for this fork. 😀

Reply 1877 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Show full quote
Show full quote

[dosbox]
machine=tandy
[autoexec]

Try turning off the sample accurate setting. Sample accurate rendering is possible in the latest code without setting that option.

EDIT: In fact, sample accurate mode clashes badly with the PC speaker emulation because of the way PC speaker emulation was/is written.

Reply 1878 of 2397, by Majinken

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
TheGreatCodeholio wrote on 2020-04-16, 15:46:
Show full quote

Try turning off the sample accurate setting. Sample accurate rendering is possible in the latest code without setting that option.

EDIT: In fact, sample accurate mode clashes badly with the PC speaker emulation because of the way PC speaker emulation was/is written.

@TheGreatCodeholio: Wow! Disabling the accurate mode fixed the muffled/distorted sound. Tandy still doesn't work though 🙁 Still just the black screen... But thank you on the tip, at least the EGA/CGA now works good, just gotta figure out how to make Tandy work 😀

@_Rob: If you don't mind me asking, where did you purchase your PC Booter version? Or is it something you had from the old times?

Edit: Ok, I'm thinking that the Steam and GOG versions are cracked or hacked versions that's why the Tandy version doesn't work. However, I was able to get the bootable disk version but it included 2 disks. So I did this to my conf file...

mount c ..\games\dotc\
c:
boot DOTCEGA1.IMG DOTCEGA2.IMG

Now, when I run the game either on EGA or Tandy, it now works but I get stuck when it asks me to insert disk 2... I press CTRL+F4 to change disks but it doesn't seem to work? I also tried F11+F4... what's the shortcut to change or swap between disks in DOSBox-X?

Edit: Nevermind, got it, thanks! 😀 😀 😀 I'm now a happy camper!

Reply 1879 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Majinken wrote on 2020-04-16, 16:15:
@TheGreatCodeholio: Wow! Disabling the accurate mode fixed the muffled/distorted sound. Tandy still doesn't work though :( Still […]
Show full quote
TheGreatCodeholio wrote on 2020-04-16, 15:46:
Show full quote

@TheGreatCodeholio: Wow! Disabling the accurate mode fixed the muffled/distorted sound. Tandy still doesn't work though 🙁 Still just the black screen... But thank you on the tip, at least the EGA/CGA now works good, just gotta figure out how to make Tandy work 😀

@_Rob: If you don't mind me asking, where did you purchase your PC Booter version? Or is it something you had from the old times?

Edit: Ok, I'm thinking that the Steam and GOG versions are cracked or hacked versions that's why the Tandy version doesn't work. However, I was able to get the bootable disk version but it included 2 disks. So I did this to my conf file...

mount c ..\games\dotc\
c:
boot DOTCEGA1.IMG DOTCEGA2.IMG

Now, when I run the game either on EGA or Tandy, it now works but I get stuck when it asks me to insert disk 2... I press CTRL+F4 to change disks but it doesn't seem to work? I also tried F11+F4... what's the shortcut to change or swap between disks in DOSBox-X?

Edit: Nevermind, got it, thanks! 😀 😀 😀 I'm now a happy camper!

Thought so. The way PC speaker code renders audio works fine for the 1ms increments it normally renders but it breaks when asked to render one sample at a time.

Assuming the Tandy version is not a booter... does running LOADFIX before executing the program get it to work?

A surprising amount of DOS executables fail if loaded to low in memory, including the EXEPACK code Microsoft's Linker used which causes the "Packed file is corrupt" message. This is the reason recent commits to DOSBox-X raise the default minimum MCB segment back up to MS-DOS 7.0-like defaults.