VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is there a special kind of Slocket/Slotket required for running Tualatin/Tualeron CPUs in Slot-1 motherboards, or do Coppermine Slocket/Slotkets simply work if you have a BIOS that supports it and a voltage regulator capable of 1.3V all it takes?

Asking because I have a P2B-F with a HIP6019BCB regulator, and I want to know if the slockets I have at hand will be fine for running a Celeron 14oo on it.

Slotket-AA370-TS-Ver1-0.jpg Slotket-ASUS-S370-DL.jpg Slotket-Savecom-370-CPU.jpg

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1 of 4, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Intel changed the pinout of the Tualatin cpu's in such a way that they are not backwards compatible with Coppermine motherboard. You need a special slotket like Upgradeware Slot-T

upgradewareslott.jpg
Filename
upgradewareslott.jpg
File size
30.31 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

orPowerleap:
http://www.duhvoodooman.com/powrleap/PLintro.htm
Alternatively you can do the modification yourself:
http://www.geocities.ws/tuacubx/reads/MSMG.htm

Reply 2 of 4, by flupke11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Lin-lin adapter and the Slot-T will allow the system to boot by switching the pinout back to something the mainboard understands. However, the mainboard must be capable of delivering the correct voltage (max 1,475V). If it is unable to do so, it might not boot, or feed the CPU Coppermine voltages (1,75) which is not too healthy for the Tualatin.

That is the huge advantage of the Powerleap active Slot adapter, it has its own VRM and whatever V is given by the mainboard will be correctly adjusted to fit the Tualatin's needs.

Sadly, these Powerleap adapters have become very rare.

Reply 3 of 4, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
flupke11 wrote on 2020-04-30, 12:26:

The Lin-lin adapter and the Slot-T will allow the system to boot by switching the pinout back to something the mainboard understands. However, the mainboard must be capable of delivering the correct voltage (max 1,475V). If it is unable to do so, it might not boot, or feed the CPU Coppermine voltages (1,75) which is not too healthy for the Tualatin.

OP wrote he has a P2B-F with a HIP6019BCB regulator wich is VRM 8.4 compliant and able to deliver 1.3v to 2.05v in 0.05 increments.

Filename
hip6019b.pdf
File size
420.55 KiB
Downloads
35 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 4, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This adapter will also work:

tualatin.jpg
Filename
tualatin.jpg
File size
99.29 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

You place it over the pins and then weld a couple of solder joints.

The adapter itself is very affordable, the problem is that shipping from Korea is absurdly expensive right now with the current pandemic.

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png