VOGONS

Reply 20 of 28, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is a c64 emulator for Win9x that sets the 800x600 in 50hz on my eizo L367 tft.
beside that, I cannot benefit from real 50hz on my retro machines.
therefore I am collecting stuff that uses 60hz like some mame/snes/neogeo titles and play them on OS9 on my g4-cube.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 22 of 28, by GordonFreeman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
imi wrote on 2020-05-05, 14:09:
well there's not much important to translate there, just use the formulas but if you want to know anything specific just ask ^^ […]
Show full quote

well there's not much important to translate there, just use the formulas
but if you want to know anything specific just ask ^^

if you go 320x200 that would result in:
horizontal: 320 / 359 / 399 / 438
vertical: 200 / 202 / 204 / 217
pixel frequency: 438x217x70 = 6.65Mhz

that would be about 15.2kHz at 70Hz

Modeline "320x200@70" 6,65 320 359 399 438 200 202 204 217 -hsync -vsync

just need to try it I guess ^^

I guess my only question is where in the registry are you supposed to insert this line? I forgot to mention that I can't really use my monitor right now, though I should be able to soon. So I can't try this right away, but soon.

I was talking to my dad about this (he's a programmer) and he said I could write a batch file that would do this, which could prompt you to set options, etc. Otherwise, if I wanted it to have an interface, I could probably do it in Visual Basic.

One thing I'm not sure about is how this will work with DOS games. That person's thread that I linked to before said that they were using DOSBox, not running natively in DOS like I want to do, and they said that DOSBox had to be set to force "640x200" in games. I wonder if something like this is necessary if you're running the game in DOS within Windows 98. If it is, then I don't think it would work. I guess I won't know until I try it.

I think the best way to do this the first time would be to backup the registry immediately before I try it, that way I can just restore the registry if it causes any problems.

Reply 23 of 28, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
maxtherabbit wrote on 2020-05-05, 14:45:

Games that supported EGA were clearly intended to be scanned out at 15kHz on a real CGA/EGA monitor. Just so happened that they were forward compatible to VGA as well

Hi, but wasn't EGA 21,8 KHz normally (vertical) ? 😕
Or I'm missing something and it's just about CGA compatible "modes" with EGA palette ?

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 24 of 28, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

21.8KHz is the 350 line mode, other lower res modes are 15KHz

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 25 of 28, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

AdvanceMAME used(?) to supply a standalone utility called ADVCAB that would reprogram all the stock VGA modes to 15kHz (until you reboot.) Some games work with it, mostly stuff that used a standard BIOS mode like 13h. Others that use a custom video mode will reset the timing and go out of sync.

AFAIK it works on ALL VGA-compatible cards - it certainly does on everything I've tried. Reprogramming the pixel clock is part of the VGA spec. A Voodoo3 should be no problem.

There's no mention of the util it on the AdvanceMAME website anymore?? I'm guessing they incorporated it into MAME itself. However, you can still download my old VGA tweakmode stress testing suite which includes it. Run ntsc.bat or pal.bat to try it out.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 26 of 28, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jo22 wrote on 2020-05-07, 07:39:
maxtherabbit wrote on 2020-05-05, 14:45:

Games that supported EGA were clearly intended to be scanned out at 15kHz on a real CGA/EGA monitor. Just so happened that they were forward compatible to VGA as well

Hi, but wasn't EGA 21,8 KHz normally (vertical) ? 😕
Or I'm missing something and it's just about CGA compatible "modes" with EGA palette ?

There were some (few) games that used the EGA medium-res mode, but the majority of them stuck with the 15kHz mode for compatibility with CGA screens.

Reply 27 of 28, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
xjas wrote on 2020-05-07, 10:39:

AdvanceMAME used(?) to supply a standalone utility called ADVCAB that would reprogram all the stock VGA modes to 15kHz (until you reboot.) Some games work with it, mostly stuff that used a standard BIOS mode like 13h. Others that use a custom video mode will reset the timing and go out of sync.

AFAIK it works on ALL VGA-compatible cards - it certainly does on everything I've tried. Reprogramming the pixel clock is part of the VGA spec. A Voodoo3 should be no problem.

There's no mention of the util it on the AdvanceMAME website anymore?? I'm guessing they incorporated it into MAME itself. However, you can still download my old VGA tweakmode stress testing suite which includes it. Run ntsc.bat or pal.bat to try it out.

Oof, dusty memories...

As far as I know, the final standalone version of AdvanceCab was 1.1.4. These are among the few mentions Google can find on the website:
http://www.advancemame.it/cab-history.html
http://www.advancemame.it/cab-readme.html

1.1.3 you can find here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/advancemame/ … vancecab/1.1.3/

As you can see, it's really just an SVGALIB update between 1.1.3 and 1.1.4.

not sure where 1.1.4 is now. I think he may have retracted it, or never actually released a build of it, but don't quote me.

Modern AdvanceMAME includes "advv - Video configurator for DOS and Windows NT/2000/XP" but AdvanceCAB's main utilities (AdvanceVBE, AdvanceVGA, AdvanceVIDEO, AdvancePORTIO, AdvanceOFF) aren't included.

To answer any other questions, you should ask Andrea Mazzoleni over at advancemame.it, he's still around.

EDIT: Would you believe I made a thread about this utility back in 2002? 😳
Ann.: AdvanceCAB v1.0.0 Released!

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 28 of 28, by NightSprinter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For DOS, I know there was bith VGA15, and another utility specifically for certain cards like the Voodoo3. It wouldn't run at 70Hz, but it did output the 15.75KHz HScan rate desired. The only issue is, games that used the Tweaked ModeX (in-game for Epic Pinball, Jazz Jackrabbit, and Extreme Pinball), a custom modeline (the fullscreen option in Pac-PC2 and Ms. Pac-PC), or higher resolution than Mode13h (the "High-Res" mode in the 21st Century Entertainment pinball series) would give a completely scrambled screen.

Strangely-enough, I managed to get the fantastic DOS port of "X-Men: Children of the Atom" (a VESA 320x240 game) to display at 15KHz. Lemme tell ya, that game was like playing the arcade original as a result visually.