VOGONS

Ann.: AdvanceCAB v1.0.0 Released!

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looking for an alternative to UNIVBE when running under DOS? Look no further...

AdvanceCAB is a collection of various utility to help the use of a PC with Arcade Monitors or TVs. Part of this colletion are th […]
Show full quote

AdvanceCAB is a collection of various utility to help the use of a PC with Arcade Monitors or TVs. Part of this colletion are the utilities: AdvanceVBE, AdvanceVGA, AdvanceVIDEO, AdvancePORTIO, AdvanceOFF.
AdvanceVBE is a TSR (Terminate Stay Resident) VBE BIOS wrapper that substitutes the default list of avaliable VBE video modes with a list of the favourite modes which work with your video hardware without any restrictions of size and frequencies.
With this utility you can play all the DOS games that use the standard VESA VBE services with your TV or Arcade Monitor.

The 16 bit vbe utility supports only some of the vbeline video drivers: 3dfx, savage, sis6326, neomagic, s3, trident, cirrus and vbe3. The 32 bit vbe utility supports all the svgaline video drivers. See the AdvanceMAME DOS card list for a complete list of the supported cards by these drivers.

A project very similar to AdvanceVBE is Mon-ARC. The only big difference it's that with AdvanceVBE you can create your preferred video modes, and obviously you can share the same modes you use with AdvanceMAME. Some of the video drivers used by AdvanceVBE were originally written by Saka, one of the authors of Mon-ARC.

Another usefull project is UniRefresh for VBE3 cards and VBEPlus for multisync monitors.

AdvanceVGA is a TSR VGA BIOS wrapper that substitutes the default list of VGA video modes with a list of the favourite modes which work best with your video hardware.

AdvanceVIDEO is an utility to control the video output in your config.sys and autoexec.bat

AdvancePORTIO is an utility to control any device connected to your parallel port.

AdvanceOFF is an utility to shutdown your PC.

You can see the whole documention in the Documentation page.

It's been out for a while now, but this is a new version. Here's what's new:

ADVANCECAB VERSION 1.0.0 2002/10 ================================== * Added the VBE32 utility. It's a new 32 bit VBE BIOS whi […]
Show full quote

ADVANCECAB VERSION 1.0.0 2002/10
==================================

* Added the VBE32 utility. It's a new 32 bit VBE BIOS
which supports all the new video boards.

See the VBE32 documentation here

It's interesting to note that it supports TONS more video cards than UniVBE (and possibly SciTech's Nucleus/SNAP too). If someone could figure out how to "port" this to Windows NT/2000/XP, I'd be happy as a clam, as the lead programmer has no interest in doing so. He's happy with just Linux and DOS. But I digress. This should be a most interesting program. It would be cool if someone with an ancient videocard that was supported by both UNIVBE and AdvanceCAB did some speedtesting... 😀

Anyhow, get it HERE. 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 2 of 7, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

AdvanceCAB v1.1.0 Released!

Here's what's new:

ADVANCECAB VERSION 1.1.0 2002/11 ================================== […]
Show full quote

ADVANCECAB VERSION 1.1.0 2002/11

The first version with a preliminary Windows NT/2000/XP support. No configuration tools are available for Windows. You must use one of the preconfigured .rc files or create a new one in DOS.

* Added the VIDEOWIN utility. It's able to set an arbitrary modeline in Windows NT/2000/XP. It supports all the most recent boards.

LIMITATIONS
=============

* The program can only set the resolutions originally supported by Windows. It cannot create new resolutions.
* If the video board or the video driver doesn't support interlaced modes, these modes are simulated skipping every odd row. It doesn't look very good.
* The program doesn't stay resident, any successive mode change will reset the original video mode.

Another cool utility from Andrea Mazzoleni!

Get it here:
http://advancemame.sourceforge.net/cab-download.html

Note: AdvanceCAB for DOS has also been updated, as well as the sourcecode, all available there as well.

Stiletto

Reply 3 of 7, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Now v1.1.1:

ADVANCECAB VERSION 1.1.1 2002/11 ================================== […]
Show full quote

ADVANCECAB VERSION 1.1.1 2002/11

* Added the ADVV utility for Windows NT/2000/XP.
* Added an new option at the VIDEOW utility to enable the
hardware mouse pointer.
* Added an new option at the VIDEOW utility to change the
scanline size.

The `ADVV' utility is the main video configuration program
for AdvanceMAME, AdvanceMESS, AdvancePAC, AdvanceMENU,
AdvanceVBE and AdvanceVGA. It selects, creates and tweaks video modes interactively.

Get it here:

Note: AdvanceCAB for DOS has also been updated, as well as the sourcecode, all available there as well.

Stiletto

Reply 4 of 7, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Don't think I haven't been watching this thread...I have it's just that the prog doesn't work under NT for my 9700. 🙁 Gonna look at this latest ver tonight.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 7, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Make sure to submit bug reports to Andrea. The best way would be the advancemame-users mailing list (http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?forum_id=718). But you have to have a SF ID and register for the mailing list. Or you could email Andrea direct at email.png

Stiletto

Reply 6 of 7, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

AdvanceCAB has been updated to version 1.1.2. Here's what's new:

[…]
Show full quote

• The VIDEOW utility now correctly detects the current bytes per scanline.
  • Updated the Windows SVGAWIN.SYS driver to the 1.1 version.
  • Fixed a slowdown bug on the SVGALIB video board detection.
  • Fixed a bug on the DOS/Windows SVGALIB Radeon driver. It should help with the video modes at lower frequency generally used in Arcade Monitors and TVs.
  • Minor changes at the docs.
  • Better error reporting on the DOS/Windows SVGALIB drivers.
  • The VIDEOW utility now uses the `device_video' to force a specific video driver.

That's right, DOSFreak, a fix for the Radeon driver. Maybe it will fix your issues. Enjoy!

Get it here:

Stiletto

Reply 7 of 7, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

AdvanceCAB v1.1.3

Here's what's new:

• Fixed the abort bug for the SVGALIB Rage 128/Radeon video boards and probably others

😀

Download here:

Stiletto