VOGONS

Common searches

Problematic Windows games list

Topic actions

Reply 100 of 256, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I managed to fix/workaround a bunch of bugs in Interstate '76 and published a patch for it. Made a topic here.

Arthur Schopenhauer wrote:

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone; and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.

Reply 102 of 256, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Need for Speed Special Edition for Windows(not the DOS one) doesn't work on any OS past Win 2000. No fix available for it. The setup has a problem with memory

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 103 of 256, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2020-05-09, 19:37:

The Need for Speed Special Edition for Windows(not the DOS one) doesn't work on any OS past Win 2000. No fix available for it. The setup has a problem with memory

I have been able to run it on WinXP but not properly on 7. Here's the fix for XP:

Filename
NFSSE_fixes.rar
File size
603 Bytes
Downloads
142 downloads
File license
Public domain

Reply 104 of 256, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
filipetolhuizen wrote on 2020-05-09, 22:00:

I have been able to run it on WinXP but not properly on 7. Here's the fix for XP:
NFSSE_fixes.rar

OK I tried it out and saw that my XP machine al ran it without the patch(I installed it and the uninstalled). On Windows 10, it gives the error in event viewer:
0xc0000005

Reply 105 of 256, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
HunterZ wrote on 2020-05-09, 19:03:

Moved Interstate '76 discussion to UCyborg's thread to keep it all in one place. Thanks everyone.

You moved some unrelated discussion there for the game Incoming.

Arthur Schopenhauer wrote:

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone; and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.

Reply 106 of 256, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HunterZ wrote on 2020-05-09, 19:03:

Moved Interstate '76 discussion to UCyborg's thread to keep it all in one place. Thanks everyone.

The second post I made in this thread wasn't Interstates 76 related, it was on Incoming game

Reply 107 of 256, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
filipetolhuizen wrote on 2020-05-09, 22:00:

NFSSE_fixes.rar

"Not properly on 7" What did you get when you play on 7?

Reply 108 of 256, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

MDK 2 was the most magical game. At some point, the game doesn't detect any OpenGL driver. The workaround I found is, use Compatibility on WinXP Sp3. This problem usually occurs if game stops unexpectedly at some point, by quitting through alt+f4 or crashing or any other. Happened on Win7,8.1 and 10

Reply 109 of 256, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I still need help with figuring out patching Gunmetal to run at a proper timing with the DirectX version, as well as preventing that version from hard-freezing a entire PC.

I've had it lock up a Windows 7 PC to the point it wouldn't respond to ALT-TAB or CTRL+ALT+DEL. Only one compatibility shim seems to really have any important effect on the game and that's the 2GB memory lie.

The DOS version is still pretty stable as long as you're running from a pure MS-DOS environment with only a mouse driver present in memory. (And as long as you have 32 MB of RAM or more)

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 110 of 256, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Games that use the first Unreal engine, such as Deus Ex, Unreal Tournament, and Unreal, have problems running on modern CPUs, due to those CPUs having features that the Unreal engine isn't prepared for, such as multiple cores, variable speeds on one CPU, a very high CPU speed, etc/

There's a good explanation of this problem in relation to the game Unreal Tournament at:

http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/forum/view … &t=2809&start=0

Fortunately, there are several fixes available, made by talented fans of the games, for example there is this launcher for many of the Unreal games:

http://coding.hanfling.de/launch/

For the game Unreal, there's a comprehensive patch that fixes this problem and more:

https://www.oldunreal.com/oldunrealpatches.html

For Deus Ex, you can use this launcher, which also includes some bug fixes and a mod launcher:

https://kentie.net/article/dxguide/

Reply 111 of 256, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kerr Avon wrote on 2020-05-18, 13:18:
Games that use the first Unreal engine, such as Deus Ex, Unreal Tournament, and Unreal, have problems running on modern CPUs, du […]
Show full quote

Games that use the first Unreal engine, such as Deus Ex, Unreal Tournament, and Unreal, have problems running on modern CPUs, due to those CPUs having features that the Unreal engine isn't prepared for, such as multiple cores, variable speeds on one CPU, a very high CPU speed, etc/

There's a good explanation of this problem in relation to the game Unreal Tournament at:

http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/forum/view … &t=2809&start=0

Fortunately, there are several fixes available, made by talented fans of the games, for example there is this launcher for many of the Unreal games:

http://coding.hanfling.de/launch/

For the game Unreal, there's a comprehensive patch that fixes this problem and more:

https://www.oldunreal.com/oldunrealpatches.html

For Deus Ex, you can use this launcher, which also includes some bug fixes and a mod launcher:

https://kentie.net/article/dxguide/

Interesting!

On 3 of my PCs all these games worked fine only if I used a different DSOUND, D3DIM and DDRAW dlls. My Ryzen and Pentium G cpus don't have any problem in running these games. Sometimes the game had low cpu usage and low framerate, but I fixed it in all Unreal games by upscaling it.

Reply 112 of 256, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Riana Rouge is a Windows game from 1997 that's pretty much impossible to play natively on modern Windows. I could only get it to work properly on up to Windows 98, and on Windows XP it gave me an invalid Win32 application error from what I remember. Since it's not a high priority title at all, I don't know of any fixes.

Reply 113 of 256, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Update on Virtual Pool Hall: Runs with CD image mounted using WinCDEmu. However, other minor issues appears: will crash on launch if the game's resolution is higher than 1280x960, so you have to edit it in regedit before running it and choose the desired resolution again.
Cannot get South Park (not Rally) to run under Win7 64 bits at all. Tried all available compatibility fixes, including DxWnd and XP fixed .exe (this combination will make it run to the menu until I start a new game and then it crashes). This really deserves a Gog version. If they did Turok 1 and 2, they sure can do this.

Reply 114 of 256, by SpinalBlood

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ZellSF wrote on 2020-01-28, 20:19:
Second was Nectaris, which is a bit more interesting. Supposedly freeware too. The western (PC release was Japan only) version w […]
Show full quote

Second was Nectaris, which is a bit more interesting. Supposedly freeware too. The western (PC release was Japan only) version was known as Military Madness and was a fairly popular turn based strategy game for the PC Engine/Turbografx. It got a Windows release which had some nice features not available in all ports: a map editor, mouse control and the ability to save mid-game. It had two issues on newer Windows versions. One (broken fullscreen) was easy to fix with dgVoodoo. Dialog windows forcing the game windowed until manually set to fullscreen again might seem like a dgVoodoo bug, but it's how the game behaves on Windows 95 too.

The second problem was new to me. Whenever the game tried to play a new midi file, it would freeze for a few seconds. This got infuriating fast. Apparently, it's a known issue with playing midi files through MCI on systems newer than XP, documented here:
http://www.virtualdub.org/blog/pivot/entry.php?id=77
The documentation is lacking why Microsoft implemented this delay, but there's instructions on that page on how to remove it. In case the link dies I followed this advice by Phaeron (talking about editing mciseq.dll):

Phaeron wrote:

The code that foxyshadis patched is in the LeaveSeq() function whose disassembly is above — so you are looking for a hex pattern of 68 __ __ __ __ FF 15 __ __ __ __ 6A 04 __ __ __ __ C3. Underscores represent bytes that may be different due to a different base address. The 04 should be patched to 00, and then the PE header checksum at 00000130 should be cleared by patching to 00 00 00 00.

Once I did that, Nectaris started playing back midi instantly, without freezing the game for seconds. I actually found this page first:
https://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?t=19307
Indicating that Transport Tycoon Deluxe also has this problem. I have to assume other games have this problem too, but I haven't run into any.

I would like to write more about this since I had this problem for years in the past, until I followed the instructions in 2014 and they worked for me;

Actually, this problem affected also Windows XP and Windows 2000 (windows 95 and 98 worked fine. I can't say for ME or NT, I never used them)

WIth WinXP I used the already modified file posted by j7n in that Transport Tycoon Forums, but as he says his .rar contained a few more 32bit versions. Since his link is down, I'll upload the .rar in this post (the file is exactly as it was uploaded in that forum, I haven't modified it). I took the xp32_sp3_patch version, and it worked. I had to use safe mode with command prompt though, otherwise I couldn't delete mciseq.dll in \system32 (they were automatically restored like 10 seconds after);

For Windows 7 64bit I manually did the modify in mciseq.dll in the Syswow64 folder. For some reason, the Syswow64 version was the SAME as "seven_32_sp1" patched from the rar, but it was DIFFERENT than mciseq.dll present in system32 of MY windows 7 64bit system. So I only modified the one in Syswow64 and ignored system32 (and also ignored amd64 / x86 folders). Again I used a third part program to get permission for modifying the .dll

Another annoying thing was the fact that windows update somehow messed up with the modified dll and I had to re-do the process again each time (there should be better solutions to this...).

About the games, it's interesting to quote this from that original post in that blog:

"and although it is avoided by playing MIDI files through DirectShow, that doesn't help old programs that use Media Control Interface (MCI) to play their music."

In fact i had some games that did NOT have this problem, while others had. I even have some (very oldschool) screensavers with midi files inside them, that had this problem, and were fixed after the dll change.

Filename
MCI_MIDI_Without_Pause_WinXP.rar
File size
35.19 KiB
Downloads
133 downloads
File license
Public domain

Reply 115 of 256, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HunterZ wrote on 2020-01-19, 04:12:
Hello everyone. I was thinking it might be helpful to maintain a list of older Windows games that don't run well on modern Windo […]
Show full quote

Hello everyone. I was thinking it might be helpful to maintain a list of older Windows games that don't run well on modern Windows. Post any info you have about problematic games and/or any possible workarounds or existing discussions on this forum, and I'll add it to the list.

Windows 10:

Windows 7:

• Final Fantasy VII - fixed by patches/Steam
  • MechWarrior 3 - works on Windows 10 w/just 1.2 patch - Win 7 workarounds: Re: Problematic games list
  • Need for Speed Special Edition - setup fails due to memory compatibility issue
  • Vietcong (2003)
  • Virtual Pool Hall - refuses to recognize CD
  • Wings over Vietnam (2004)

Jane's IAF can be run using dgVoodoo but if you select any higher resolution than the default resolution, then the game main menu becomes buggy. Also, the game graphics are glitchy with dgVoodoo too. But I know that's the only way to run it.

For Jane's USAF, the game directly runs with dgVoodoo without problems

Reply 116 of 256, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shagittarius wrote on 2020-01-24, 21:44:

Incoming! Is a game that has always vexxed me. Out of the 4 machines i have capable of running it only the one with a single core athlon and a ti4200 will run it properly, the xeons in win 98 and xp that have a 9800pro and 780ti respectivley, and my i9 9990k with 2080ti windows 10, all run at about 1/8 speed. However looking online it seems like im the only one to experience this. It seems weird given ive tried the original cd release, the steam release. And even the gog release...am i just kryptonite to this game?

I also used to have a single core p4 witha voodoo2 that would run it slow too...

That happens on the GeForce version of the game. I have the GeForce version and it runs at 1/4 of the speed on R5 1600. The Voodoo version works fine which GOG uses

Reply 117 of 256, by Agathosdaimon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Janes F/A-18 is nigh impossible to get working fully right on windows 10 - the best i have come up with is to install it, install its patches and the Team Super Hornet mod and then run it through DXWnd and with some compat settings - the game will start and run but the main menu will seem unresponsive, so you have to kind of move the the second window behind that is created and the game will be there and playable, but trying to touch the settings may cause a crash, and also the campaign will cause a crash if you attempt any of it - not sure if that is due to software issues with wndows 10 or due to the Team Super Hornet mod.

Reply 118 of 256, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SpinalBlood wrote on 2020-06-08, 02:29:

I would like to write more about this since I had this problem for years in the past, until I followed the instructions in 2014 and they worked for me;

Did you read the later post I made? There's a winmm patcher that might be easier:
https://w.atwiki.jp/nectaris/pages/22.html
Assuming it forwards all other winmm events correctly (cdda music and gamepad support are often controlled by winmm) which I haven't had time to test.

SpinalBlood wrote:

For Windows 7 64bit I manually did the modify in mciseq.dll in the Syswow64 folder

Overwriting the system file might not be necessary, it wasn't for Nectaris, I could just place a modified mciseq.dll in the game's directory.

Micro Machines V3 is another game that has the same problem.

Reply 119 of 256, by SpinalBlood

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ZellSF wrote on 2020-06-16, 13:49:
Did you read the later post I made? There's a winmm patcher that might be easier: https://w.atwiki.jp/nectaris/pages/22.html Ass […]
Show full quote
SpinalBlood wrote on 2020-06-08, 02:29:

Did you read the later post I made? There's a winmm patcher that might be easier:
https://w.atwiki.jp/nectaris/pages/22.html
Assuming it forwards all other winmm events correctly (cdda music and gamepad support are often controlled by winmm) which I haven't had time to test.

SpinalBlood wrote:

For Windows 7 64bit I manually did the modify in mciseq.dll in the Syswow64 folder

Overwriting the system file might not be necessary, it wasn't for Nectaris, I could just place a modified mciseq.dll in the game's directory.

Micro Machines V3 is another game that has the same problem.

Sorry I missed the post. Since my last OS reinstall I didn't tweak with the mciseq file yet, so I tried to put mciseq.dll in the screensavers (with midi included) folder and... it worked, I didn't think about this clever solution (it's true that often games can start with some dll in its folder rather than in windows system itself...) Thank you

About the winmm patcher I don't quite get how it works; I must patch that dll with the exe then put it in the app of choice folder?