Common searches

Problematic Windows games list

Topic actions

Reply 80 of 254, by Jiri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
collector wrote on 2020-02-14, 18:58:

I did installers for Titanic: Adventure Out of Time and Sanitarium for those that already have the games. http://sierrahelp.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3925

On your page is old Discworld Noir patch that I tried but did not work. You may take a look at patch by Loma and replace it or add link as an alternative option. Simple fix for Discworld Noir in WinXP-Win10

The Longest Journey for which you have an experimental patch now works with ResidualVM.

Reply 81 of 254, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had no problems running Discworld Noir (if there was an XP patch it was so easy to find I don't remember it being a notable obstacle) except for LAV filters crashing the game. There's quite a bit of games that crash if you have external video filters installed, so really recommend against that (just install a video player that has the filters internally).

Reply 82 of 254, by Jiri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ZellSF wrote on 2020-02-15, 12:53:

I had no problems running Discworld Noir .

You were lucky, Discword Noir was always known as very difficult to run on modern systems and net is full of complicated setups like this:
https://blog.ihobo.com/2015/02/how-to-run-dis … world-noir.html

Then finally Loma's fix solved that as is mentioned here:
https://www.payneful.co.uk/blogsplosion/2017/ … -on-windows-10/

Reply 84 of 254, by KainXVIII

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Original versions of Titanic: Adventure Out of Time and Timelapse still superior than Nightdive re-releases (16-bit/stereo sound vs 8-but/mono and working camera in Timelapse..)

Reply 85 of 254, by awgamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

>Transport Tycoon Deluxe Game freezes for 1 or 2 sec upon music track change

Until the windows issue is resolved a simple workaround is dosbox, runs without trouble, fm or midi, at super speed with max cycles.

Reply 86 of 254, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It hardly seems worth mentioning, but the original release of Final Fantasy VII had a rather infamous crash bug in XP and later releases – it would try to access a particular segment of RAM at a certain point in the game (probably to set a random number seed?) and Windows didn't like that at all. The video drivers had various problems as well.

But patches for those things have been readily available for a long time now, and anyone running the game can easily use the Steam release anyway.

Reply 87 of 254, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jiri wrote on 2020-02-15, 15:24:
You were lucky, Discword Noir was always known as very difficult to run on modern systems and net is full of complicated setups […]
Show full quote
ZellSF wrote on 2020-02-15, 12:53:

I had no problems running Discworld Noir .

You were lucky, Discword Noir was always known as very difficult to run on modern systems and net is full of complicated setups like this:
https://blog.ihobo.com/2015/02/how-to-run-dis … world-noir.html

Then finally Loma's fix solved that as is mentioned here:
https://www.payneful.co.uk/blogsplosion/2017/ … -on-windows-10/

Well those posts are from 2015 and 2017. I had no problems because by now, the fixes have been around for a while and are easy to find.

Jorpho wrote on 2020-02-17, 16:34:

It hardly seems worth mentioning, but the original release of Final Fantasy VII had a rather infamous crash bug in XP and later releases – it would try to access a particular segment of RAM at a certain point in the game (probably to set a random number seed?) and Windows didn't like that at all. The video drivers had various problems as well.

But patches for those things have been readily available for a long time now, and anyone running the game can easily use the Steam release anyway.

I haven't heard about that, but Final Fantasy VII has some infamous bugs with things running as fast as CPU allows it (battle swirl, minigames).

Also it uses MIDI playback. Not by itself a problem, MIDI playback works great in Windows 10, but selecting midi playback device is not working in Windows 10 without third party software (CoolSoft MIDIMapper). Though even if I knew that much I couldn't find a midi software synth that didn't ruin some of the songs (others sounded much better than the shitty PSX synth though). That last bit isn't a compatibility issue of course.

The rendering problems can all be fixed with dgVoodoo, so those aren't really problems any longer.

As you say there's a Steam release, but if you own the original don't waste money on it. There's a fan patch that fixes all the issues with the original 1998 port equally as well, and adds mod support (lots of Steam users probably convert their installs from Steam versions to 1998 versions just for this).

awgamer wrote on 2020-02-17, 08:10:

>Transport Tycoon Deluxe Game freezes for 1 or 2 sec upon music track change

Until the windows issue is resolved a simple workaround is dosbox, runs without trouble, fm or midi, at super speed with max cycles.

There are already two workarounds mentioned, but if you really want to play it today I think ignoring both the DOS and Windows versions and going for OpenTTD is better.

Reply 88 of 254, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ZellSF wrote on 2020-02-18, 08:46:
Jorpho wrote on 2020-02-17, 16:34:

I haven't heard about that, but Final Fantasy VII has some infamous bugs with things running as fast as CPU allows it (battle swirl, minigames).

Also it uses MIDI playback. Not by itself a problem, MIDI playback works great in Windows 10, but selecting midi playback device is not working in Windows 10 without third party software (CoolSoft MIDIMapper). Though even if I knew that much I couldn't find a midi software synth that didn't ruin some of the songs (others sounded much better than the shitty PSX synth though). That last bit isn't a compatibility issue of course.

There are patches to swap out the music engine as well. You can even use the original PSF soundtrack from the Playstation version. It's even easier with the Steam version, since the entire soundtrack is just .ogg files. (I would think someone out there by now must have made an MP3 recording of the soundtrack as rendered on an AWE card.)

I don't remember hearing about bugs with the battle swirl or the minigames. The crash I'm referring to happens with the Chocobo race.

Reply 89 of 254, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was referring to if you wanted to run the game without fan patches (or the Steam version). Just saying that it is possible.

There's been fan patches to make the game use alternative music files forever, and they've also been buggy forever. I'm hoping they've finally fixed it in the latest (Reunion) fan patch, but every time I've played Final Fantasy VII on PC before it has had some major music bug somewhere.

Reply 91 of 254, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Flanker27S wrote on 2020-02-28, 20:58:

I'm having trouble running Blitzkrieg (the 2003 RTS game) on Win10, the game just never launches, and I haven't found info as how to solve that... Even the Steam version doesn't react.

Blitzkrieg works perfectly on Windows 10.

Well, the GOG version does and it should be fairly identical to the Steam version. There might be a difference in copy protection, so try a no-cd.

Unfortunately for you, I sort of doubt that's the problem, or that would at the very least be apparent in the Steam discussion forum. Your problem is probably something that's very specific to your setup, and not a compatibility problem or a problem with the game itself. Trying to guess what that is is like finding a needle in a haystack — if you can, you should reinstall Windows.

Reply 92 of 254, by ShovelKnight

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Arcanum of Steamworks and Magick Obscura has huge problems with modern Nvidia drivers. I had to run it under Wine on my Mac and not on my Windows 10 machine with GeForce 1050Ti... The GOG version even warns you that Nvidia drivers after a certain version are not compatible wit the game.

Reply 93 of 254, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had no issues last time I played Arcanum. Sure it doesn't work out of the box, but it has a software rendering mode so I think at least one of the common wrappers would work (I used DxWnd, which admittedly needed some special options).

Reply 94 of 254, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote on 2020-01-22, 02:11:

Also virtual machine software can update and regress guest support.

You can always use older version.

You also can't assume all users also legally own the media of the older operating systems to VM with either.

I think all game oriented VMs are free now

Reply 95 of 254, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
robertmo wrote on 2020-03-30, 10:18:

You also can't assume all users also legally own the media of the older operating systems to VM with either.

I think all game oriented VMs are free now

leileilol is talking about the OS to install in the VM, not the VMs themselves.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 98 of 254, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Rune/Deus Ex may not run on Win10 if you use the Dsound.dll provided by Microsoft. I managed to fix it using the .dll provided by DSOAL

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058