VOGONS

First post, by Prez

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all !

I'm a good user of Vogons so i did some research, but didn't find answers for my problem.
I own a Toshiba Satellite Pro SP4270 wich has a Yamaha YMF744 and everything is perfect with drivers found here or at PhilsComputer Lab :
- Sounds with soundblaster pro settings in DOS
- OPL3 in DOS
- XG wavetable under W98SE and still OPL and SB Pro sounds

So its a nealry perfect labptop for MS-DOS gaming !

But i just got a Toshiba Tecra 8200 with a Yamaha YMF754, a bit more sexier machine. So, i tried at once the drivers i used on the 4270, but they don't work. No sound at all. When launching setupds /s , it tells me everything is using IRQ 5, but nothing works.

I went on trying to understand what are the 'big' differences between the SP4270 and the Tecra 8200 , I discovered they useda different chipset. The Tecra 8200 is based upon an Intel ICH2-M 81815 it seems, so i used the modified setupds.exe for Intel ICH2 and it does produce a slightly different result, i got music working under DOS (OPL) but still no SB sound at all. Setupds now tells me that it is IRQ11 which is used, and it seems i cannot change that (?).

If anyone can help me to understand, it would be great, thanks !

Best regards,
Philippe Dubois

Old computers and videogames freak
President of french association https://mo5.com
Get better, get old ! 😁

Reply 1 of 32, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm guessing that the Satellite Pro SP4270 has the PCI/PCI / SB-Link port hardwired which is the absolute best setup possible as far as laptops and the YMF7x4 chips go. Guessing the Toshiba Tecra 8200 doesn't so you need to use DDMA.

If there is no BIOS option to change the IRQ assignment, and I really doubt there is, you will be stuck at 11. See if there is an option to disable the IRQ for the video (vga).
What, if any options in the BIOS are there to adjust IRQ assignment? Is there a setting to change the assignment from PnP to manual?

In SetupDS, you may also want to try changing the DMA.

There is also a tool called YMFIRQ that will let you adjust the IRQ used by the sound card.

If you can get the tests working in SetupDS you should be good.

If not, then you may have to use DSDMA instead of DDMA.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 32, by Prez

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-06-18, 15:33:
I'm guessing that the Satellite Pro SP4270 has the PCI/PCI / SB-Link port hardwired which is the absolute best setup possible as […]
Show full quote

I'm guessing that the Satellite Pro SP4270 has the PCI/PCI / SB-Link port hardwired which is the absolute best setup possible as far as laptops and the YMF7x4 chips go. Guessing the Toshiba Tecra 8200 doesn't so you need to use DDMA.

If there is no BIOS option to change the IRQ assignment, and I really doubt there is, you will be stuck at 11. See if there is an option to disable the IRQ for the video (vga).
What, if any options in the BIOS are there to adjust IRQ assignment? Is there a setting to change the assignment from PnP to manual?

In SetupDS, you may also want to try changing the DMA.

There is also a tool called YMFIRQ that will let you adjust the IRQ used by the sound card.

If you can get the tests working in SetupDS you should be good.

If not, then you may have to use DSDMA instead of DDMA.

Hi !
Thanks, will have a look. It should be very surprising they didn't kept the SB Link inside.

Best regards
Philippe Dubois

Get better, get old ! 😁

Reply 3 of 32, by icebear

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
Sound in DOS (I'm just using win98 Dos Mode) works fine for old DOS Games with the ds-xg DOS Drivers.

For Games using DOS4GW, i'm using windows with the vxd drivers (win95 drivers)
https://support.dynabook.com/support/modelHom … 67&osId=3333621

With the wdm drivers sound in dos4gw did not work!

greets

Reply 4 of 32, by icebear

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So finally Sound in DOS works for me, even in Games using dos4gw. (Auto Sound detection in Setup Programs works now)

Im using the modded Setupds for ich2
setupds_ich2.7z on philscomputerlab)
(You also need the Yamaha Dos package)
In setupds you Should See "pc-pci" unter DMA Mode, irq cant be changed and is fixed to irq11)

That Games can access the soundchip on irq5 you need a little program called "swapirq"
Call it with "Swapirq /i11 /i5"
Now the program routes irq5 calls by Games to Hardware irq11 and everything should work fine.

icebear wrote on 2020-06-21, 15:02:
Hi, Sound in DOS (I'm just using win98 Dos Mode) works fine for old DOS Games with the ds-xg DOS Drivers. […]
Show full quote

Hi,
Sound in DOS (I'm just using win98 Dos Mode) works fine for old DOS Games with the ds-xg DOS Drivers.

greets

Reply 5 of 32, by Prez

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
icebear wrote on 2020-07-12, 09:38:
So finally Sound in DOS works for me, even in Games using dos4gw. (Auto Sound detection in Setup Programs works now) […]
Show full quote

So finally Sound in DOS works for me, even in Games using dos4gw. (Auto Sound detection in Setup Programs works now)

In setupds you Should See "pc-pci" unter DMA Mode, irq cant be changed and is fixed to irq11)

That Games can access the soundchip on irq5 you need a little program called "swapirq"
Now the program routes irq5 calls by Games to Hardware irq11 and everything should work fine.

icebear wrote on 2020-06-21, 15:02:
Hi, Sound in DOS (I'm just using win98 Dos Mode) works fine for old DOS Games with the ds-xg DOS Drivers. […]
Show full quote

Hi,

greets

Thanks, will try !

Best regards
Philippe Dubois

Get better, get old ! 😁

Reply 6 of 32, by Prez

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
icebear wrote on 2020-07-12, 09:38:
So finally Sound in DOS works for me, even in Games using dos4gw. (Auto Sound detection in Setup Programs works now) […]
Show full quote

Hi !
Sorry it don't work 🙁
If i use setupds from standard installation and here is what it tells me under DOS :

20200811_234022.jpg
Filename
20200811_234022.jpg
File size
832.93 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

No sound, no music, nothing work.
If i launch setupds, i have this :

20200811_234036.jpg
Filename
20200811_234036.jpg
File size
250.73 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Now, if i use setupds from ICH2, i have this :

20200811_234050.jpg
Filename
20200811_234050.jpg
File size
226.51 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

And i can see all those options and everything works :

20200811_234216.jpg
Filename
20200811_234216.jpg
File size
228.42 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I can launch after that Descent and have music and sound ! Even with IRq5 or whatever (??).
But Doom don't give me sound. FM Music is okay.

I tried the swapirq trick /i11 /i5, but it doesn't help for Doom either.

Any idea ?

Best regards
Philippe Dubois

Get better, get old ! 😁

Reply 7 of 32, by icebear

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, just tried doom under DOS and got the same problems. Doom doesnt even start and hangs , if swapirq is present.
Anyway, doom runs fine under win98 with sound and music, if you have the vxd sound drivers installed.

greets

Reply 8 of 32, by Stainlesscat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hey there

if you are using the latest modified setupds driver with pc-pci dma setting, you shouldn't resort to using the pci's interrupt acknowledge "INTA" setting within driver "IRQ MODE" and stick to the the serialized interrupt setting "S-IRQ" to get it fully functional or else it will lead to no sound problems and crashes. (swap irq tool is unnecessary with this method, it should just work)

in the bios try to keep IRQ 5 or 7 free to avoid problems of irq conflict (although it shouldn't be a problem with pci irqs cos sometimes they can be shared with another device as compared to isa irq and shouldn't be necessary to use any bios settings if you using serialized-irq for the ds-xg sound card).

Reply 9 of 32, by Stainlesscat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

for games that want irq 5 or 7 exclusively, the included ymfirq irq tool within the driver package addresses this issue, as you shouldn't use an irq swapping tool that's mean't for isa sound cards. 😀

Reply 10 of 32, by Prez

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Stainlesscat wrote on 2020-09-08, 14:33:

for games that want irq 5 or 7 exclusively, the included ymfirq irq tool within the driver package addresses this issue, as you shouldn't use an irq swapping tool that's mean't for isa sound cards. 😀

Hi ! How do i use it ? When i type "ymfirq" it just accepts the IRQ 11 which is the one by default.

Best regards
Philippe Dubois

Get better, get old ! 😁

Reply 11 of 32, by Stainlesscat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

firstly your sound card should not be set on the irq mode "INTA#" in setupds.
it should be set to irq mode "S-IRQ" if you are using pc-pci dma mode with your yamaha sound card, or else ymfirq won't work if the sound card is configured wrong.
after changing the irq mode, you'll be able to pick any irq number under"IRQ CHANNEL" in setupds. although dos games only see IRQ 5 7 or 9 and DMA 0, 1 or 3 as an option.
your card won't work with anything because it is set to pci irq 11 in the PC's bios and setupds uses that as INTA# for an irq, sorry thats how ds-xg works.
you should only use irq mode INTA# if you configured the the sound card to make use of IRQ 5, 7 or 9 in the bios (make sure nothing the bios is using one of those IRQ'S OR THE CARD WILL USE A DIFFERENT IRQ NUMBER!).
the dma mode can optionally be set to "DDMA" if your computer does not have pc-pci.

after you set the card using either IRQ 5 or 7 in setupds "TRY IRQ 7", you can reboot the system to setup the card with the command "SETUPDS /S" and it will spit out a message with the correct irq number and dma channel matching the settings you made in setupds. then you can use ymfirq with the following commands.

Example in dos:

Example 1: YMFIRQ 5 "if you are using a different irq number other than one your card is currently using"

Example 2: YMFIRQ 7 "same as first example"

Optional:

YMFIRQ 5 EDGE "number 5 can be any irq number you chose"

(edge command allows irq level trigger setting)

Reply 12 of 32, by Prez

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi everyone !

I'm still trying to make my Tecra 8200 works under DOS. Here are some pictures and results, if you can help me understand (or state there is nothing to do at this point 😉 ) :

First, in the BIOS, IRQ 11 is settled for good for the PCI devices as the Yamaha YMF754B, you can't change that :

20201010_220020.jpg
Filename
20201010_220020.jpg
File size
165.2 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Then i'm booting using the common setupds.exe file from Yamaha, not a modified one, with the command line setupds.exe /s . It tells me that :

20201010_220232.jpg
Filename
20201010_220232.jpg
File size
163.34 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

When i launch setupds.exe to see what it says about irq and settings, here is the result :

20201010_220246.jpg
Filename
20201010_220246.jpg
File size
229 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

In the Sound test menu, i just have that :

20201010_220254.jpg
Filename
20201010_220254.jpg
File size
194.65 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Then, exiting from setupds, when i launch the setup program from Descent, i have this : Music works, but no sound effects at all :

20201010_220419.jpg
Filename
20201010_220419.jpg
File size
211.35 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Get better, get old ! 😁

Reply 13 of 32, by Prez

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Then, i replace the setupds.exe program by the modified one for Intel ICH2 (wich the Tecra 8200 is using) and i have this now :

20201010_220716.jpg
Filename
20201010_220716.jpg
File size
159.37 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

When i launch setupds.exe, i have a full more range of options now :

20201010_220727.jpg
Filename
20201010_220727.jpg
File size
239.08 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

And in the Sound test menu as well (everything here works) :

20201010_220734.jpg
Filename
20201010_220734.jpg
File size
266.28 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Then, launching again the setup from Descent, i can hear both Sounds effets (voice here) and the FM music as usual :

20201010_220932.jpg
Filename
20201010_220932.jpg
File size
231.34 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
20201010_220941.jpg
Filename
20201010_220941.jpg
File size
198.34 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

But when i try to launch DOOM or another game than Descent, no sound effects ever, whatever the settings (IRQ) i use !
Help please 😀

Get better, get old ! 😁

Reply 14 of 32, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ok, in your autoexec.bat you need:

SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4
C:\whatever folder\setupds /s (this initializes the card)

In setupds can you change the IRQ mode from INTA# to S-IRQ ?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 15 of 32, by Prez

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-10-11, 00:12:
ok, in your autoexec.bat you need: […]
Show full quote

ok, in your autoexec.bat you need:

SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4
C:\whatever folder\setupds /s (this initializes the card)

In setupds can you change the IRQ mode from INTA# to S-IRQ ?

That's what i put in my autoexec.bat file exactly.
When i change from INTA# to S-IRQ, a lot more options are available such as SBIRQ, but whatever i try here (5,7,9,10,11) it cannot save the paremeter or do anything, saying "IRQ x is not detected".

Best regards
Philippe Dubois

Get better, get old ! 😁

Reply 16 of 32, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I can help tomorrow when i get time since I got this working. Also you dont need to do swap IRQ. But you do need to go into the bios and change the parallel port so it doesn't use irq 7 and disable the parallel port.

On those laptops the codec does sit on IRQ 11 but the legacy support is mapped to IRQ 7

It doesn't work for you because you because u are using IRQ 5, only IRQ 7 works.

Reply 17 of 32, by Prez

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Warlord wrote on 2020-10-17, 00:51:

I can help tomorrow when i get time since I got this working. Also you dont need to do swap IRQ. But you do need to go into the bios and change the parallel port so it doesn't use irq 7 and disable the parallel port.

On those laptops the codec does sit on IRQ 11 but the legacy support is mapped to IRQ 7

It doesn't work for you because you because u are using IRQ 5, only IRQ 7 works.

Ah ? ok sir, i will try. Lets stay in touch, thank you !

Best regards
Philippe Dubois

Get better, get old ! 😁

Reply 18 of 32, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

K I got Descent working fine on my Toshihiba in pure dos using SBpro for effexts, and opl3 for music. However this is an inferior way to play the game on a yamaha XG.

In windows I got the game working using the general midi for music of the yamaha XG which is a superior way to play this game.

GM doesn't work in pure dos on XGs only OPL3. But XG has a powerful GS wavetable that works in DOSBOX on 98.

I am going to post my driver files for you and some screen shots. DOOM also work fine.

Reply 19 of 32, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In BIOS on 1st page you chose Parallel port std-bidirectional don't put ECP. Then 2nd page you want to put parallel port not used.
In windows it will add the parallel port regardless. So you want to manually configure and change to basic configuration 3 so it dont use IRQ. Then you want to disable it in windows.

You also want to manually configure the legacy sound system part. Change to IRQ 7 etc

Attachments