VOGONS

Reply 40 of 984, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This isn't worlds best video, but I was messing around & just wanted to share. Not too bad! I would've played this if it was what I had in 1993.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KMYSZfvCMHg9 … iew?usp=sharing

Fastdoom 0.4, 386DX/25, Cyrix FasMath 387, Tseng ET4000AX, Opti sound card, kinda cheap board with no cache.

Quake gets 1.1 FPS on the same system. 😜 Even vanilla Doom isn't really playable.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 41 of 984, by HandOfFate

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I used to play Doom on a 386 SX 25MHz (after we finally upgraded to 4MB(!) of RAM). Unplayable without cheats but still cool. Does the shotgun reload animation lag behind the sound for you too? I always thought it funny: hear boom, hear click-click, (delay), see click-click 😜

Am486 DX4 120MHz, no L2, 16MB, Tseng ET4000/W32 1MB VLB, ESS ES1869 /// 5x86 133MHz, 256kb L2, 64MB, S3 Virge/DX 4MB PCI, SB16 + Yucatan FX, PicoGUS /// Pentium III 1GHz, 512MB, Asus V7700 64MB AGP, SB Live!

Reply 42 of 984, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ViTi95 wrote on 2020-08-04, 13:11:

PS I'll bring back gamma correction support in the next version of FastDoom 😁

Yeah I can only seeing this happening to the palette and the tint lumps on load (cached in memory), and reloading them with new processing on F11 press. unless that's what doom already did (I know quake throws all current palette data through a gamma lookup immediately on change per frame - definitely slow, and quake doesn't have any pre-calc'd tint lumps unlike doom)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 44 of 984, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^^ neat! Hell of a lot more fluid than my 386. I don't know how much of that is CPU & how much is new optimizations, but I'm willing to bet my ET4000 wipes the floor with that OAK VGA card, at least.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 45 of 984, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ViTi95 wrote on 2020-08-06, 20:24:

New development video (FastDoom 0.5)

https://youtu.be/khVLctBY1GA

Curious, why the "age restriction"? There's plenty of videos of Doom that don't have that stretching as far back as 2007...

That option makes it impossible to watch the video anonymously without a user account involved which is what I typically view videos as. I only ever use my account to upload videos and change settings on videos Twitch exports because Twitch's system auto-inserts things I don't want auto-inserted.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 46 of 984, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wow, what a cool project! I will have to try this out on my 486DX33 with the ISA ET4000. The 80x200 is neat. Are you using Mode Y and writing to all bitplanes at the same time?

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 47 of 984, by ViTi95

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
xjas wrote on 2020-08-06, 20:50:

^^ neat! Hell of a lot more fluid than my 386. I don't know how much of that is CPU & how much is new optimizations, but I'm willing to bet my ET4000 wipes the floor with that OAK VGA card, at least.

486 processors are way faster than 386 due to the inclusion of the L1 cache, it's normal to run faster Doom in those processors. Having a fast video card it's important in Doom, but it is much more important to have a fast processor with lot's of cache (L1+L2).

DracoNihil wrote on 2020-08-06, 21:21:
ViTi95 wrote on 2020-08-06, 20:24:

New development video (FastDoom 0.5)

https://youtu.be/khVLctBY1GA

Curious, why the "age restriction"? There's plenty of videos of Doom that don't have that stretching as far back as 2007...

That option makes it impossible to watch the video anonymously without a user account involved which is what I typically view videos as. I only ever use my account to upload videos and change settings on videos Twitch exports because Twitch's system auto-inserts things I don't want auto-inserted.

Well the age restriction is gone, I didn't know how Youtube age-restriction policy worked really (so i avoided problems by restricting directly the content)

root42 wrote on 2020-08-06, 22:00:

Wow, what a cool project! I will have to try this out on my 486DX33 with the ISA ET4000. The 80x200 is neat. Are you using Mode Y and writing to all bitplanes at the same time?

Yes, Potato mode writes all the planes at the same time, using the same idea as the Low render quality mode. Write 1 pixel and you get 4 drawn, it helps a lot old ISA VGA video cards that have very limited bandwith. Even 8 bit ISA VGA cards run well in Potato mode.

EDIT:

Previous DEV build running on a 386SX

https://youtu.be/qDqr8cYOeOE

https://www.youtube.com/@viti95

Reply 48 of 984, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Potato mode might as well be SNES Doom mode, that's the huge vibe I get from the graphics looking that way.

Were you using a GUS for music in that video?

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 49 of 984, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Maybe Fastdoom could have the old scrapped "2MB RAM support" idea of loading only 3 generic sounds commonly applied to everything (Gun fire, Death OOGH, Door swish), as seen in the Nov 93 "A visit to id software" video

For all those potato fans (and haters that don't get the point), a reminder that Dark Forces had such a mode

Attachments

• df.png
    Filename
    df.png
    File size
    8.68 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 51 of 984, by HandOfFate

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DracoNihil wrote on 2020-08-06, 23:54:

Potato mode might as well be SNES Doom mode, that's the huge vibe I get from the graphics looking that way.

I think that card is an AWE64 Value

Am486 DX4 120MHz, no L2, 16MB, Tseng ET4000/W32 1MB VLB, ESS ES1869 /// 5x86 133MHz, 256kb L2, 64MB, S3 Virge/DX 4MB PCI, SB16 + Yucatan FX, PicoGUS /// Pentium III 1GHz, 512MB, Asus V7700 64MB AGP, SB Live!

Reply 52 of 984, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote on 2020-08-07, 00:23:

Maybe Fastdoom could have the old scrapped "2MB RAM support" idea of loading only 3 generic sounds commonly applied to everything (Gun fire, Death OOGH, Door swish), as seen in the Nov 93 "A visit to id software" video

For all those potato fans (and haters that don't get the point), a reminder that Dark Forces had such a mode

I had no clue Dark Forces had a "potato mode". Is this achieved by lowering the detail within the game or is this some sort of command line switch? I don't remember the in-game options lowering the details that much!

Reply 53 of 984, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Garrett W wrote on 2020-08-10, 12:20:
leileilol wrote on 2020-08-07, 00:23:

I had no clue Dark Forces had a "potato mode". Is this achieved by lowering the detail within the game or is this some sort of command line switch? I don't remember the in-game options lowering the details that much!

Yes you can limit the in-game detail to Atari 2600 level.

Reply 54 of 984, by ViTi95

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
HandOfFate wrote on 2020-08-10, 11:10:
DracoNihil wrote on 2020-08-06, 23:54:

I think that card is an AWE64 Value

You're right, it is an AWE64 Value. GUS support is problematic and I'm trying to fix it.

Reply 55 of 984, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ViTi95 wrote on 2020-08-10, 20:00:

You're right, it is an AWE64 Value. GUS support is problematic and I'm trying to fix it.

Man I'm dumb, yeah. It's hard to tell the difference between the AWE's ROM and the default GUS patch set.

I hope GUS support doesn't prove too impossible to fix, it never really worked properly in Doom at all because of DMX shortcomings.

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 56 of 984, by ViTi95

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

New release!

https://github.com/viti95/FastDoom/releases/tag/0.5

Changelog:

• Faster Potato mode. Now it's 100% native potato mode and doesn't use the LQ mode to draw the screen.
  • Fixed Sega Saturn shadows in potato mode.
  • Added "-init" parameter, it forces the user to press a key to start the game. This makes easier to see the initialization process.
  • Now it's possible to use "-nomonsters" without "-warp level". Change made to test the IA performance impact.
  • Fixed AWE32 music.
  • More rendering and main code optimizations.
  • Bring back the gamma correction, lot's of users with CRT monitors needed this functionality (F11 key)
  • Remapped autorun to F12 key

Reply 57 of 984, by HandOfFate

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Cool, I'll be sure to try it out (once my computer room is below Hell temperatures). I'm curious to see if the FPS has improved even more, compared to my earlier benchmarks.

What do you mean with Sega Saturn shadows? Was there something bad about the shadows in the that port?

Reply 58 of 984, by ViTi95

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
HandOfFate wrote on 2020-08-13, 16:41:

Cool, I'll be sure to try it out (once my computer room is below Hell temperatures). I'm curious to see if the FPS has improved even more, compared to my earlier benchmarks.

What do you mean with Sega Saturn shadows? Was there something bad about the shadows in the that port?

The implementation I made of the Sega Saturn shadows in FastDoom wasn't right while potato mode activated. The rendering was just wrong.

Attachments

Reply 59 of 984, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ViTi95 wrote:

Fixed AWE32 music.

I finally brought back online my PIII desktop retro PC a few weeks ago, and it has an AWE64 value inside it. Perfect timing !

Last edited by xcomcmdr on 2020-08-13, 20:20. Edited 1 time in total.