VOGONS

First post, by mvz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've completed setting up a HP T5710 Thin Client with MS-DOS 6.22
Everything works a charm, including SBPro using VIASBCFG / FMTSR.

The problem arises when I try to use a mouse in conjunction with a keyboard.
As soon as the mouse is thrown into the mix, keypresses on the keyboard get stuck and you keep moving in the direction you were going.

Opening 'Edit' in MS-DOS and moving the mouse while depressing any key combination on the keyboard, shows the cursor jumping around eratically.
It does not matter which mouse driver I use, CTMouse, Logitech they all behave similarly.

Does anyone know whats going on? Is the poor machine chocking on too much input?
I've since ordered a serial mouse, which is on its way. I will let you know if that works better once it arrives.

collector wrote on 2020-08-31, 17:59:

Wrong forum. This forum is for DOS games on modern systems. Ask old hardware and driver/configuration questions in Marvin. Marvin, the Paranoid Android

Understood, the HP 5710 thin client isn't exactly old hardware for MS-DOS though..

Last edited by mvz on 2020-08-31, 18:27. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 10, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wrong forum. This forum is for DOS games on modern systems. Ask old hardware and driver/configuration questions in Marvin. Marvin, the Paranoid Android

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 3 of 10, by Benedikt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have the same type of thin client and am using it with FreeDOS, but have not encountered/noticed any such problem, yet.
What kind of mouse and keyboard have you been using?
Both were USB in my case.

Reply 4 of 10, by mvz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Benedikt wrote on 2020-08-31, 22:14:

I have the same type of thin client and am using it with FreeDOS, but have not encountered/noticed any such problem, yet.
What kind of mouse and keyboard have you been using?
Both were USB in my case.

Either the original HP PS/2 keyboard, or an HP USB keyboard.
I also found out that running games off a USB stick mounted as a harddrive in Dos 6.22 ( the T5710 allows this ) - makes for some odd behaviour and long loading times.
Running from the internal flash works a charm.

Reply 5 of 10, by Cydno

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mvz wrote on 2020-08-31, 13:37:
I've completed setting up a HP T5710 Thin Client with MS-DOS 6.22 Everything works a charm, including SBPro using VIASBCFG / FMT […]
Show full quote

I've completed setting up a HP T5710 Thin Client with MS-DOS 6.22
Everything works a charm, including SBPro using VIASBCFG / FMTSR.
The problem arises when I try to use a mouse in conjunction with a keyboard.
As soon as the mouse is thrown into the mix, keypresses on the keyboard get stuck and you keep moving in the direction you were going.

Hey I'm not crazy then! I've the same exact problem using MS-DOS 7.1 (CDU) & CTMOUSE 2.0 Alpha 4
I noticed this problem in Warcraft orcs & humans and in Duke 3D (though not in edit):
If I move the mouse, and at the same time I use the keyboard, to scroll the map in Warcraft, or to move Duke in game, the direction of scrolling or direction of Duke get stucked, apparently random, in one direction
I tried with usb mouse + usb keyboard and also with ps2 mouse + usb keyboard (with usb mouse disabled in bios & ps2 set on mouse in bios) with no success
I tried also as you suggested to move the game from usb pendrive to internal DOM but the problem persists
I tried also 3 different versions of warcraft, but with no success

I don't know what to do... maybe I can try to buy a ps2 keyboard...

Reply 6 of 10, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Stop using CuteMouse and give MS Mouse 9.x or one of these drivers a try :

Tiny mouse driver ?
Re: CuteMouse not working properly
Re: How do you get a serial mouse working

Or any other mice drivers you may find.
CuteMouse is meant to be small, not very compatible.
It works fine with certain hardware of the era it began being developed in,
but to my understanding makes low-level assumptions on the hardware that may not hold true before and after that.

🙂

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 7 of 10, by halfspec

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry to raise this thread from the dead. I just wanted to see if anyone still attached to it ever solved this issue?

I've got an 800Mhz T5710 running DOS 7.1 + Windows 98SE. I'm currently just booting straight to DOS 7.1 to run dos games and skip booting all the way into win98.
I'm having the exact same problems as @Cydno explained. Direction keys accompanied with simultaneous mouse movement seems to stick and continues moving uncontrollably until exiting the game.
Games that this is readily demonstrated are:

Doom
Doom 2
Duke3D
Quake

Things I've tried to isolate the problem:

Different keyboard and mouse combinations. I have a USB keyboard and mouse and a PS2 keyboard and mouse. I've tried every combination I can think of with identical results
Different mouse drivers. I've tried cutemouse drivers, logitech mouse drivers, MS mouse drivers, pmouse, etc etc etc.
Disabling internal devices. Internal parallel, serial, and NIC are disabled
VIASBCFG / FMTSR ON and OFF. Doesn't seem to matter.
Updated BOS to 1.08A / 786R1

I'm about to pull out my hair chasing this issue. Sure, mouse integration really isn't critical for DOS games, but I was really hoping I could get it straightened out for quake 🙁

Any help / suggestions are greatly appreciated
Lane

Reply 8 of 10, by bibo59

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
halfspec wrote on 2021-11-12, 14:20:
Sorry to raise this thread from the dead. I just wanted to see if anyone still attached to it ever solved this issue? […]
Show full quote

Sorry to raise this thread from the dead. I just wanted to see if anyone still attached to it ever solved this issue?

I've got an 800Mhz T5710 running DOS 7.1 + Windows 98SE. I'm currently just booting straight to DOS 7.1 to run dos games and skip booting all the way into win98.
I'm having the exact same problems as @Cydno explained. Direction keys accompanied with simultaneous mouse movement seems to stick and continues moving uncontrollably until exiting the game.
Games that this is readily demonstrated are:

Doom
Doom 2
Duke3D
Quake

Things I've tried to isolate the problem:

Different keyboard and mouse combinations. I have a USB keyboard and mouse and a PS2 keyboard and mouse. I've tried every combination I can think of with identical results
Different mouse drivers. I've tried cutemouse drivers, logitech mouse drivers, MS mouse drivers, pmouse, etc etc etc.
Disabling internal devices. Internal parallel, serial, and NIC are disabled
VIASBCFG / FMTSR ON and OFF. Doesn't seem to matter.
Updated BOS to 1.08A / 786R1

I'm about to pull out my hair chasing this issue. Sure, mouse integration really isn't critical for DOS games, but I was really hoping I could get it straightened out for quake 🙁

Any help / suggestions are greatly appreciated
Lane

Hello,
I had the same problem with a t5710 with doom and USB devices.
With a ps/2 keyboard there is no longer a problem but there are slowdowns when turning with a usb mouse.
I think it comes (keybord and mouse) from the legacy bios emulation,
I seems the best solution is to use a ps2 keyboard and mouse with a cable splitter.

Reply 9 of 10, by halfspec

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bibo59 wrote on 2022-03-06, 15:07:
Hello, I had the same problem with a t5710 with doom and USB devices. With a ps/2 keyboard there is no longer a problem but the […]
Show full quote

Hello,
I had the same problem with a t5710 with doom and USB devices.
With a ps/2 keyboard there is no longer a problem but there are slowdowns when turning with a usb mouse.
I think it comes (keybord and mouse) from the legacy bios emulation,
I seems the best solution is to use a ps2 keyboard and mouse with a cable splitter.

You are correct! I ended up taking a break from this then circling back a month or so ago and came to the same conclusion / solution. I meant to update this post but forgot.

The only thing I can add is that PS2 splitters are apparently not all built equally. I ended up going through 3 splitters before I found one that worked perfectly. The one that worked for me was sold by monoprice:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=119

Unfortunately it was hard to purchase and apparently is still having stock issues. I got backorder notifications from both their website and their ebay store. I finally got one though and it works!
The only gotcha is that you have to plug in your keyboard and mouse backwards and you may possibly be required to be on BIOS 786R1! I asked James Mackenzie about this in his most excellent video about the t5710 and he ended up blogging about it here.

Hope that helps folks in the future

Lane