VOGONS

How do you get a serial mouse working

Topic actions

First post, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is the pc im working with Project95 (MS5129 Upgrades & CR2032 Odin Mod) it has no ps/2 ports on it, I bought a pci card with ps/2 ports but that dont work with windows 95 at all. So im guessing my only hope is serial.

If anyone has a easy to follow tutorial and a driver that would be awesome, thanks in advance.

Motherboard Reviews The Motherboard Thread
Plastic parts looking nasty and yellow try this Deyellowing Plastic

Reply 1 of 65, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you have an actual serial mouse, it's super easy; just run ctmouse.

But when you try to use a PS/2 mouse with one of those adapter thingies, then things get tricky. The mouse has to have been specifically made to work with both PS/2 and serial ports, and you have to use the correct branded adapter. Usually the mouse will say on it whether it's one of those "combo" mice.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 2 of 65, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ok cool and yes i have a really clean bright white serial mouse.

Do I just go to control panel-->add device and point to the ctmouse file?

Also where could i find this said driver?

Reply 3 of 65, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Those PCI PS/2 cards are usually just a USB chip and a USB-PS/2 adaptor on the same card.

They probably won't work in anything under Windows 98.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 4 of 65, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yea it is just a usb card this is what I bought http://www.ebay.com/itm/181671723885?_trksid= … K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Reply 5 of 65, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh, sorry, ctmouse is for DOS, in Windows 95 just go to control panel-->mouse and hit the Device tab, then select the right driver for your mouse (Microsoft, Logitech, etc.) You shouldn't need more drivers than what comes with Win95

Reply 6 of 65, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok so i went into the control panel and selected the standard serial mouse driver and still nothing, the brand of this mouse is a mouse plus silver mouse s/n: 000003976 and there is a switch on the bottom to select either MS AM or PC AT and its set for PC AT

Reply 7 of 65, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You probably have the switch set right. Look to see if there is a mouse driver that better fits what's written on the mouse.
Or maybe the switch is wrong after all, try the other setting.

Reply 10 of 65, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I actually had on a few systems with serial Mouse and ctmouse driver a problem:
ctmouse loads fine and detects the Mouse, however it not responding to moves/clicks.
If I load in the same configuration ms-mouse or tmouse or another classic mouse driver the mouse works fine.

I tried also different ctmouse versions from 1.8 to the latest, but all seem to have this issue.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 11 of 65, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No it didn't work in dos either.

Reply 12 of 65, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

-Check the BIOS to make sure the port is enabled. Try something else on the same serial port (although I can't think of anything quick and easy), preferably using pure dos.
-Try the mouse on another pc to make sure it works.

Reply 13 of 65, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You're using AT case and motherboard, I would make sure the serial header is plugged the right way. Perhaps even test it with a multimeter and COM pinout.

Reply 14 of 65, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Quick and easy serial port test? Only one I can think of is a null modem connection, and try to transfer a file.

Reply 15 of 65, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In theory, you can do a "loopback" test just by plugging in a serial cable, and then jamming a paper clip into pins 2 and 3. Open up a terminal session on the serial port, and anything you type should be echoed back immediately.

In practice, I never managed to get that to work.

Reply 17 of 65, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oldskoolmaniac, uhm, may I ask what kind of serial mouse you're using ?
Maybe the mouse isn't detected because its not compatible with the Microsoft Mouse.
There were at least three types of different protocols in use : Logitech (or was it Genius ?), MS Mouse, and Mouse Systems.

Sometimes it was possible to "boot" the mouse in MS Mouse mode,
by holding a mouse button during power on. Some also had switch on the bottom.
It's just an idea, though. Maybe your problem is something else.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't notice you already mentionend the s/n number a few posts earlier.
Edit2: Please try the Sigma mouse driver for DOS. It often worked for me with troublesome mice..

Attachments

• Filename
    sigmaqm.zip
    File size
    242.32 KiB
    Downloads
    1004 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 18 of 65, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SquallStrife wrote:

Those PCI PS/2 cards are usually just a USB chip and a USB-PS/2 adaptor on the same card.

They probably won't work in anything under Windows 98.

Yes and it's even more complicated. Do these USB-PS/2 adapters on the card contain any electronics or are they just mechanical ?
If they're mechanical, that card is nothing more than a normal USB card with PS/2 connectors slapped on.
All the work then has to be done by the mouse itself (the mouse has to switch to USB mode). Older "true PS/2" mice with serial+ps/2 modes are then incompatible with the card.
Which makes the whole reason for that card to exist to appear absurd.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 19 of 65, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jo22 wrote:

There were at least three types of different protocols in use : Logitech (or was it Genius ?), MS Mouse, and Mouse Systems.

I had a Genius mouse once that normally worked in Mouse Systems Mode, but occasionally for no apparent reason the driver would spontaneously switch over to Microsoft Mode. The mouse wouldn't stop working, though: the cursor would just start jumping around uncontrollably and the buttons would randomly click – what fun! So I don't think it's a compatibility issue in that regard.