Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 35760 of 52691, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
aaronkatrini wrote on 2020-09-03, 20:04:

Don't know how FedEX works, but once I shipped a card to Lithuania with DHL for about 13 euro. That was what the customer paid and what I was charged from DHL, it seemed crazy knowing that they usually charge 50+ euro for a shipment like that. I guess sometimes they make promotional deliveries to "discover their services". Hope this is the case with you as well. Cheers!

well that's EU to EU though, so no customs and taxes and obviously in turn no fees for such services involved^^

Reply 35761 of 52691, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Royal Mail charge £8 to collect import taxes. I had a $20 package that I got charged VAT and duty on - I thought before that that you didn't pat taxes on imports under £30. VAT, duty and the £8 more than double my cost for a cheap graphics card that was woth the purchase price, but not worth the final cost. It's a legal scam enforced by governments. And after January 1st, they'll be charging for imports from our neighbours in the EU (political moan deleted)

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 35762 of 52691, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DHL is a scam, especially for international shipments. Either that or they "provide" the service but put prices so high that it is stupid to use them. Almost like they don't want to mess with having to deal with international shipments.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 35763 of 52691, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What's up with the duty fees and taxes in other countries? Is there some weird reason for price rape that high? I order stuff from all around the world on a weekly or bi-weekly basis and have never paid any import taxes or duty fees on anything. Also, DHL is usually the cheapest for me with international shipments and they've been pretty fast - especially China shipments where it arrives in just a few days for cheaper than I can ship internally within the US with the post office.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 35764 of 52691, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wiretap wrote on 2020-09-04, 14:20:

What's up with the duty fees and taxes in other countries?

In Russia we don't pay any import tax for parcels below EUR 200. And 15% tax on the amount that exceeds EUR 200. I.e. for a EUR 300 parcel I'd pay 15 euros tax.
This is still acceptable. But it used to be EUR 1000 threshold several years ago, then it was lowered to 500, and now 200...

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart
archive.org: PCMCIA software, manuals, drivers

Reply 35765 of 52691, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wiretap wrote on 2020-09-04, 14:20:

What's up with the duty fees and taxes in other countries? Is there some weird reason for price rape that high?

As mentioned above, it's basically a scam by governments that cannot pass up the opportunity of making some free money off the hard work of their citizens. The usual excuse to do this is always something like "we've got to protect internal commerce/industry!", "we have to get people to spend their money internally rather than it going somewhere else", but all of this crap makes no sense if we're talking about importing stuff that is not even produced locally nor competes with anyone else's job. But then they will claim that it's too difficult to decide which products to tax and which should be exempt, so they just tax everything. I'm not talking about VAT, but import taxes which are generally much higher.

Couriers like DHL then hop onto this bandwagon and add outrageous fees for "handling". In my country they don't even bother to charge the import taxes or deliver the package to your address (unless it's a shipment from Amazon Global), they just give you a bunch of papers so you can go to the airport and go through the customs hassle yourself. But they still charge you for delivering those papers (!!!). That's why I avoid DHL, Fedex and UPS like the plague for international shipments, and rely only on the local post or freight forwarders depending on the case, both of those do the customs paperwork and deliver the packages to my home for a much lower price.

Reply 35766 of 52691, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bondi wrote on 2020-09-04, 14:38:

In Russia we don't pay any import tax for parcels below EUR 200. And 15% tax on the amount that exceeds EUR 200. I.e. for a EUR 300 parcel I'd pay 15 euros tax.
This is still acceptable. But it used to be EUR 1000 threshold several years ago, then it was lowered to 500, and now 200...

That's still very good.
In Hungary the threshold is €45 when you buy from a natural person, €22 when you buy from a business.
From 2021 even this €22 threshold is gone because of a new EU directive and we have to pay import taxes even after a €1 package.
Fuck the EU.

Reply 35767 of 52691, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Miphee wrote on 2020-09-04, 16:56:
That's still very good. In Hungary the threshold is €45 when you buy from a natural person, €22 when you buy from a business. Fr […]
Show full quote

That's still very good.
In Hungary the threshold is €45 when you buy from a natural person, €22 when you buy from a business.
From 2021 even this €22 threshold is gone because of a new EU directive and we have to pay import taxes even after a €1 package.
Fuck the EU.

You can still buy from the whole EU marked so I dont feel sorry for you. That is a crapton better than Norway, import VAT on everything after €1. Used to be a free limit around €35, but they reduced it to €1 since EU was doing the same, but that argument was just a big fucking lie, as the EU still have their internal marked so it can't be compared. Lobbyist organisations made this happen on basis of "protecting local buisness"

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 35768 of 52691, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote on 2020-09-04, 17:02:

You can still buy from the whole EU marked so I dont feel sorry for you.

90% of my purchases are outside the EU so it doesn't give me much comfort. People in the EU are selling the same items for profit anyway so why would I buy from them? They act as the middle man and their prices are often many times higher.

Panasonic caps from China: 10 € cent.
The very same Panasonic caps from the UK: 75 € cent.

No way.

Reply 35769 of 52691, by Big Pink

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
debs3759 wrote on 2020-09-04, 11:11:

Royal Mail charge £8 to collect import taxes. I had a $20 package that I got charged VAT and duty on - I thought before that that you didn't pat taxes on imports under £30. VAT, duty and the £8 more than double my cost for a cheap graphics card that was woth the purchase price, but not worth the final cost. It's a legal scam enforced by governments. And after January 1st, they'll be charging for imports from our neighbours in the EU (political moan deleted)

They brought the £30 limit down to ~£15 about two years ago, which places a lot of items more common in the US out of reach. The personal gift limit also got reduced, which is a nice surprise on your birthday. Items flagged in customs are supposed to be segregated and held in the delivery office locker for collection, but if you're lucky it might get mixed in with general packets and if you are very lucky your postman might not care enough to hand it in. Happens less often now because HMRC is all over Royal Mail on lost customs revenue.

I thought IBM was born with the world

Reply 35770 of 52691, by martinot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TheMobRules wrote on 2020-09-04, 15:53:

As mentioned above, it's basically a scam by governments that cannot pass up the opportunity of making some free money off the hard work of their citizens. The usual excuse to do this is always something like "we've got to protect internal commerce/industry!", "we have to get people to spend their money internally rather than it going somewhere else", but all of this crap makes no sense if we're talking about importing stuff that is not even produced locally nor competes with anyone else's job. But then they will claim that it's too difficult to decide which products to tax and which should be exempt, so they just tax everything. I'm not talking about VAT, but import taxes which are generally much higher.

Well said. Totally agree that it is generally a 100% scam to extort money from people and companies for purely generating yet more financial income to the state budget.

Reply 35771 of 52691, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the explanations. Sounds like a nightmare depending on which country you live in. It's odd since they're all so close together. (like I couldn't imagine purchasing something from Ohio - 28 miles from me - and having to be charged a crap load of fees) 🤣

Anyhow, somewhat back on topic. I just now purchased an Indivision ECS V2 from Sweden for 115 EUR shipped.. Pretty good price considering international shipping and the exchange rate is pretty decent right now.

Edit: also just snagged a Creative CT3990 for $81.. Overpaid but I really wanted it since I have all the original packaging, cables, manuals, and disks for it and was just missing the card.

Last edited by wiretap on 2020-09-04, 19:37. Edited 1 time in total.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 35772 of 52691, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Miphee wrote on 2020-09-04, 17:14:
90% of my purchases are outside the EU so it doesn't give me much comfort. People in the EU are selling the same items for profi […]
Show full quote
vetz wrote on 2020-09-04, 17:02:

You can still buy from the whole EU marked so I dont feel sorry for you.

90% of my purchases are outside the EU so it doesn't give me much comfort. People in the EU are selling the same items for profit anyway so why would I buy from them? They act as the middle man and their prices are often many times higher.

Panasonic caps from China: 10 € cent.
The very same Panasonic caps from the UK: 75 € cent.

No way.

Won't be as bad as you think for small stuff from China. Norway got Ebay, Aliexpress, Amazon and all other big websites to collect VAT on behalf of them, following the same practice/standard EU will do in 2021. Bascially those 10 cent caps + shipping will be basis for your country's VAT. Seller marks package with a special ID and its scanned in customs automatically with no handling fees. If seller forgets, you have documentation that VAT is payed if its held back for inspection.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 35773 of 52691, by EvieSigma

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Picked up an IBM NetVista Pentium III machine, a Zenith "Turbo XT", and a ViewSonic Optiquest Q71 monitor for $150USD. All working, though the NetVista seems to have some kind of RAM related issue and the Optiquest has issues displaying certain resolutions properly.

IMG_20200904_121634.jpg

IMG_20200904_121758.jpg

Reply 35775 of 52691, by alienmannequin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
EvieSigma wrote on 2020-09-04, 20:29:
Picked up an IBM NetVista Pentium III machine, a Zenith "Turbo XT", and a ViewSonic Optiquest Q71 monitor for $150USD. All worki […]
Show full quote

Picked up an IBM NetVista Pentium III machine, a Zenith "Turbo XT", and a ViewSonic Optiquest Q71 monitor for $150USD. All working, though the NetVista seems to have some kind of RAM related issue and the Optiquest has issues displaying certain resolutions properly.

IMG_20200904_121634.jpg

IMG_20200904_121758.jpg

Wow, that finish on the Turbo XT is positively juicy. Anyone know how to replicate this whilst refurbishing?

Reply 35777 of 52691, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
wiretap wrote on 2020-09-04, 23:20:

The texture? Many clone systems came like that. One way to replicate it is to use crinkle (wrinkle) coat paint.

Ah, crinkle coat paint, like stipple ceilings or walls, but for a PC . 😉

I think I actually like it more than wood-grain .

Reply 35778 of 52691, by alienmannequin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The texture? Many clone systems came like that. One way to replicate it is to use crinkle (wrinkle) coat paint.

darry wrote on 2020-09-04, 23:26:

Ah, crinkle coat paint, like stipple ceilings or walls, but for a PC . 😉

I think I actually like it more than wood-grain .

Fantastic. Thanks all, will have to look into this - one of the only things I remember from early AT / XTs is how to metallic case felt. Definitely agree that it's better than woodgrain.

Reply 35779 of 52691, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Only one vintage gaming system looks good in woodgrain...

...nope, not LGR's 486 ;D but Atari 2600 😁

And yeah, there are 'effect' paints to achieve this sort of surface texture, but as to their scratch/chipping resistance - the mileage varies unfortunately...
Computer cases were usually powder coated from the factory which gives you this 'grainy' texture on metal parts and superb scratch/chip resistance.

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg