VOGONS

First post, by skel2raw

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys,
I am trying to setup my GA-486am/s board with my AM5x86-P75 (133ADZ) however I cannot figure out the right jumper settings since they are not properly documented.
Does anyone know whether they are documented anywhere or know at least the proper jumper settings?
Thx!

Reply 1 of 6, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

First, make sure you have the latest BIOS (late 1995 if I remember correctly).

I assume you have the manual for the basic jumper settings, for a 5x86 you need to set the following:

1. JP5 3-4 & 5-6, RN2 & RN5 installed ("Intel, AMD")
  2. JP8 2-3 ("Intel S Series, AMD Enhance Series")
  3. JP9 Open ("AMD, UMC")
  4. JP10 Closed ("Intel DX4 & AMD Enhance x 2") - this sets the 5x86 internal multiplier to x4
  5. JP12 1-2 ("AMD Enhance WB") - this sets L1 cache to WB
  6. JP13 Closed ("Others")
  7. JP22 Open, JP23 1-2 ("AMD 3.3V, 5V") - CPU voltage detection, it will use 3.3V for the 5x86

The rest of the settings should be the usual (33MHz base clock, DX-type CPU). And remember to set L1 & L2 to WB in the BIOS for best performance.

Reply 2 of 6, by skel2raw

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hm... something is weired... My mobo has the is revision 2.1
First the pins do not properly match: For instance JP8. Looking at the motherboard pin 2 can only either be closed with pin 1 or pin 4. Maybe they changed the pins between the revisions?
Also I found a bios in this thread: Ga-486AM/S jumper settings for Cyrix 5x86 100GP
But I cannot flash the chip with it. I think the chip and the bios image do not match? When I try to flash the award flasher says "The program file's part number does not match with your system!".
I also cannot flash it with my TL866CS programmer because the bios chip I have (SST PH29EE010) is not listed in the minipro programmer software.

Any ideas?

Reply 4 of 6, by skel2raw

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hm... I guess I need a bios update for the CPU to be properly recognized. It says I have an Am486DX4-S 100MHz cpu installed.
Any idea how I can flash the bios or does someone have a workign bios image?