VOGONS

First post, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are there any good plans to for 3d models that let you stick a standard 50 mm fan on a generic cheapo heatsink ( say 50x50x20mm ) and then snaps onto socket 3 clips?

The approximate glass transition temperature temperatures for common printable materials are:
PLA: 60˚C
PETG, high-temperature PLA: 95 ˚C
ABS: 105˚C
Nylon: typically 70˚C or above ("Nylon" is a large family of similar polymers)
Polycarbonate: 145˚C

Reply 2 of 15, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

First attempt didn't leave enough space to insert the chip and I had to Dremel.

Here's the second attempt to mount a 40x40x20mm head sink on a 486: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4659201

That's my first Thingiverse publication so I probably got something wrong.

And yes, I did affix the fan with some nasty ass salvaged screws, it's a little crooked, and it pushes out on the outside leg a bit--

This is the "Insert side". CPU goes in first

Photo Nov 19, 7 10 19 PM.jpg
Filename
Photo Nov 19, 7 10 19 PM.jpg
File size
215.15 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Here's the bottom:

Photo Nov 19, 7 10 02 PM.jpg
Filename
Photo Nov 19, 7 10 02 PM.jpg
File size
283.25 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Here's the "snug side".
The heat sink slides in from the open side. That caused the thermal paste dollop to form.
Takes a moderate amount of pressure to push the heat sink in, but it snaps in place with a satisfying pop.

Photo Nov 19, 7 09 36 PM.jpg
Filename
Photo Nov 19, 7 09 36 PM.jpg
File size
230.21 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 3 of 15, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This is interesting, particularly for those boards that do not have any of those socket tabs at all (early s3 CPU sockets).
I'm not sure if the board pictured here is the board you are trying to create this fan mounting printed assembly thingy for, but even with just the 2 tabs (1 each side) and both near the edge instead of centerlined) it's possible to mount a larger heatsink using one of those z-wire clips, like for instance this one here
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Pin_f … th_a_z-clip.png

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 15, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote on 2020-11-20, 20:14:

This is interesting, particularly for those boards that do not have any of those socket tabs at all (early s3 CPU sockets).
I'm not sure if the board pictured here is the board you are trying to create this fan mounting printed assembly thingy for, but even with just the 2 tabs (1 each side) and both near the edge instead of centerlined) it's possible to mount a larger heatsink using one of those z-wire clips, like for instance this one here

I made a Z clip out of low gage springing dental wire, but it had a bad habit of slipping off the clips and I was worried that it was going to fly off and short out the mobo one day.

Is there a place that sells socket 3 Z clips ?

Reply 5 of 15, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
douglar wrote on 2020-11-20, 21:37:

I made a Z clip out of low gage springing dental wire, but it had a bad habit of slipping off the clips and I was worried that it was going to fly off and short out the mobo one day

Valid concern indeed.

I never had to make my own as I had salvaged several off of some old P1-era machines.
The clips look like the one in this pic (bottom row, second most right one)
Picture%2520077.jpg
This pic was posted by Anonymous Coward back in 2012 here on Vogons.

Another pic showing the z-clip mounted onto a (quite small) heatsink here (pic by me) :
Metalcpuclip.png

Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 15, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is there a place that sells socket 3 Z clips ?

I just noticed your edit:

I don't actually know if it was ever sold. I got mines from larger passive heatsinks that were mostly used in P1 OEM machines.
There are chipset heatsinks that were sold which used similar clips BUT I don't know if these will fit s3/s5/s7/s370/s462 (all these sockets actually have the same dimensions).
Perhaps someone else here has an idea on how to get them, but I don't know alas 😒

Report spammers here!

Reply 7 of 15, by adalbert

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I once 3d printed some very thin clips, you just press fit them between heatsinks fins and clip the hooks to the underside of CPU. I made them 4 years ago and they didn't break. But it's worth mentioning that I am using regular white thermal paste, which is pretty sticky and its acting a bit like glue. Clips are attached only to two sides, but they are holding the heatsink in place pretty well.

Can't find the STL file, but it's a simple design. I printed it with ABS, it worked even without heatbed because it's a really small piece. Maybe PET-G would work too.

(that white clip on last photo was a prototype carved by hand)

Attachments

• IMAG2832.jpg
    Filename
    IMAG2832.jpg
    File size
    629.08 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IMAG2833.jpg
    Filename
    IMAG2833.jpg
    File size
    645.9 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 486_clip.jpg
    Filename
    486_clip.jpg
    File size
    289.04 KiB
    Views
    File license

Repair/electronic stuff videos: https://www.youtube.com/c/adalbertfix
ISA Wi-fi + USB in T3200SXC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX30t3lYezs
GUI programming for Windows 3.11 (the easy way): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6L272OApVg

Reply 8 of 15, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Put in a little raised bit in middle so the retainer will be under stress to hold heatsink on tighter. Think of the bow get bent under tension for shooting arrows.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 9 of 15, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote on 2020-11-20, 21:55:
Valid concern indeed. […]
Show full quote

I made a Z clip out of low gage springing dental wire, but it had a bad habit of slipping off the clips and I was worried that it was going to fly off and short out the mobo one day

Valid concern indeed.

I never had to make my own as I had salvaged several off of some old P1-era machines.
Picture%2520077.jpg

Another pic showing the z-clip mounted onto a (quite small) heatsink here (pic by me) :
Metalcpuclip.png

I posted a picture with similar Z clip for another vogons member back in the spring. Mine came off old P1 builds too but have always wanted to make my own.
My brother has a very good metal shop and figured if I could make the Z using good #8 steel wire and he could temper it so it would have spring tension.
Figured they would cost about 25 cents each to make (with tempering) but have yet to try it.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 10 of 15, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Horun wrote on 2020-11-21, 02:09:
I posted a picture with similar Z clip for another vogons member back in the spring. Mine came off old P1 builds too but have al […]
Show full quote
Tetrium wrote on 2020-11-20, 21:55:
Valid concern indeed. […]
Show full quote

Valid concern indeed.

Picture%2520077.jpg

Metalcpuclip.png

I posted a picture with similar Z clip for another vogons member back in the spring. Mine came off old P1 builds too but have always wanted to make my own.
My brother has a very good metal shop and figured if I could make the Z using good #8 steel wire and he could temper it so it would have spring tension.
Figured they would cost about 25 cents each to make (with tempering) but have yet to try it.

I know next to nothing about metal working from first hand and also don't have any workshop available to me 😐
But it should be a quite simple product to make.

Not only would it be cheap, but it would be possible to create z clips of different sizes, like for instance Socket 8 but also for Socket 7 with broken socket tabs to which a standard HSF won't seat properly anymore (like a certain ss7 board of mine for which I was unable to glue it back).

Report spammers here!

Reply 11 of 15, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the feedback. I was using 12 gauge wire, and I think it just didn't have enough strength. I'll use my printouts until I find some 8 gauge wire for Z-spring or until thermal fatigue breaks down the plastic filament.

Oven tests seem to show that the filament I used starts to get undesirably flexible at 150f/65c and starts to get ductile after 200f/95c

Reply 12 of 15, by adalbert

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
douglar wrote on 2020-11-21, 16:56:

Oven tests seem to show that the filament I used starts to get undesirably flexible at 150f/65c and starts to get ductile after 200f/95c

Which type of filament are you using? ABS in theory should work fine, PLA would be rather useless, PET-G might give various results. I have one spool of PET-G which has much lower softening temperature than it claims.

pentiumspeed wrote on 2020-11-21, 00:56:

Put in a little raised bit in middle so the retainer will be under stress to hold heatsink on tighter. Think of the bow get bent under tension for shooting arrows.

Thanks, good idea 😀

Repair/electronic stuff videos: https://www.youtube.com/c/adalbertfix
ISA Wi-fi + USB in T3200SXC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX30t3lYezs
GUI programming for Windows 3.11 (the easy way): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6L272OApVg

Reply 13 of 15, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
adalbert wrote on 2020-11-21, 17:23:

Which type of filament are you using? ABS in theory should work fine, PLA would be rather useless, PET-G might give various results. I have one spool of PET-G which has much lower softening temperature than it claims.

Don't know! I don't have a printer. I submit the .stl plans to my library and they print it out for me. It it's under 7 grams, it's free, so I can't really complain.