VOGONS

HWiNFO for DOS resurrected !

Topic actions

Reply 521 of 881, by ALEKS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the new version. I checked it right away. Can you put some quick release notes on the first page, as you did with the other versions (I think I said it before, I really miss the "hwinfo.his" and "hwinfo.lst" files)?
Apparently it still won't detect my I/O Interface.

Cheers,
A.

TX486DLC / 40 MHz | 32 Mb RAM | 16-bit ISA Backplane | Tseng Labs ET4000/W32i 2 Mb | I/O Interface | Audio Interface | PC Speaker Driver | Signal View Interface
3.5" & 5.25" FDD | 4 x 512 Mb CF | HP 82341D Interface | Intel EtherExpress 16

Reply 522 of 881, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ALEKS wrote on 2020-08-19, 17:20:
Thanks for the new version. I checked it right away. Can you put some quick release notes on the first page, as you did with the […]
Show full quote

Thanks for the new version. I checked it right away. Can you put some quick release notes on the first page, as you did with the other versions (I think I said it before, I really miss the "hwinfo.his" and "hwinfo.lst" files)?
Apparently it still won't detect my I/O Interface.

Cheers,
A.

Yeah, unfortunately I lost my interim notes for this version 🙁
All that I recall is: improved support of Trident graphics cards, IBM VGA and some CPUs.
It should also identify you IOIF-301 ISA I/O Interface in the BIOS extensions list.

Reply 523 of 881, by ALEKS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the updates on the release notes.
Now coming back to the BIOS extensions, in my case, HWiNFO lists none, as pictured.

hwinfo-no-extensions.jpg
Filename
hwinfo-no-extensions.jpg
File size
283.53 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

In this particular case, the ROM is placed at D000-D1FF (but can vary by DIP switches if there are other cards installed). As a side note, these are EEPROMs and have the /WE signal configured as writable from DIP switches. But that wouldn't pose any issues for detection as I don't think HWiNFO also tests for writable memory area.

Here is a screenshot of memory mapping from MSD. I intentionally unloaded everything from UMA so that it will list only ROM mappings.

msd-rom-mapping.jpg
Filename
msd-rom-mapping.jpg
File size
275.63 KiB
Views
File license

Cheers,
A.

TX486DLC / 40 MHz | 32 Mb RAM | 16-bit ISA Backplane | Tseng Labs ET4000/W32i 2 Mb | I/O Interface | Audio Interface | PC Speaker Driver | Signal View Interface

Reply 524 of 881, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ALEKS wrote on 2020-08-20, 06:20:
Thanks for the updates on the release notes. Now coming back to the BIOS extensions, in my case, HWiNFO lists none, as pictured. […]
Show full quote

Thanks for the updates on the release notes.
Now coming back to the BIOS extensions, in my case, HWiNFO lists none, as pictured.

hwinfo-no-extensions.jpg

In this particular case, the ROM is placed at D000-D1FF (but can vary by DIP switches if there are other cards installed). As a side note, these are EEPROMs and have the /WE signal configured as writable from DIP switches. But that wouldn't pose any issues for detection as I don't think HWiNFO also tests for writable memory area.

Here is a screenshot of memory mapping from MSD. I intentionally unloaded everything from UMA so that it will list only ROM mappings.

msd-rom-mapping.jpg

Cheers,
A.

Thanks. This is quite strange as HWiNFO scans from 0xC800 incrementaly by 0x100 and checks if there's an OROM present (starting with 0xAA55).
Then your OROM is being detected if offset 0x7 == "I/O-IF ROM".
I'm staring at the code but can't figure out why it didn't find it...

Reply 525 of 881, by ALEKS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried with older versions (V.5 and V.4.6.4) and both report no ROM extensions on this particular machine.
Maybe there is something wrong with the PC that I am using, that confuses HWiNFO's detection mechanisms.
Is there anything I can do (generate a report, or send you some information from BIOS or something similar) to help?

Later Edit: I checked NSSI, which I don't use that often, and it says an Unknown ROM is present at address 0xD000.

Reply 527 of 881, by ALEKS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have made a .ZIP file with the ROM images extracted with your utility.

Attachments

• Filename
    ROMS.ZIP
    File size
    63.42 KiB
    Downloads
    43 downloads
    File license

Reply 528 of 881, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks! Finally found the bug, it's my fault. Please try the attached build if it finds it now.

Filename
HWINF612.ZIP
File size
995.47 KiB
Downloads
79 downloads
File license

Reply 529 of 881, by ALEKS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the fix. It works correctly now!

hwinfo-detection.jpg
Filename
hwinfo-detection.jpg
File size
160.61 KiB
Views
File license

One more thing though. Not that it matters most, but launching the program by using a relative path to the .EXE file, from the current directory, still throws a < Cannot open "HWiNFO.DAT" ! > fatal error.
In other words, HWiNFO resides in C:\UTILS\HWINFO. I can reproduce the bug with the following sequence:

cd utils
hwinfo\hwinfo

Even using an absolute path before the filename would throw the same error.

c:\utils\hwinfo\hwinfo.exe

Cheers,
A.

Reply 531 of 881, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I currently have a Dell Precision Workstation 610 motherboard on the testbed because of some other work I was doing on it to adapt Dell power supply pinouts, Adapter cable for a 24-pin DELL ATX? It is a dual slot 2 Xeon system based on the 440GX chipset. I was having some trouble getting 2 GB of SDRAM working, Problem running 2 GB of SDRAM on a Xeon dual slot 2 440GX motherboard So I decided I would use HWINFO to read SPD values from the RAM modules. My findings are as follows:

1) HWINFO is reporting the manufacturer date as being in the future (2052 week 39). I'm not sure if HWINFO is to blame or if the SPD data is false. Of course there is a third possibility, but I don't think this went back in time on a time machine, and if it did, I'd sure hope that PC100 memory isn't still being produced 30 years from now.

2) Are you able to list other SPD values in the format CL-RCD-RP-RAS which is how Windows programs usually list them, e.g. 3.0-2-2-5?

Attachments

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 532 of 881, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
feipoa wrote on 2020-09-01, 01:56:

I currently have a Dell Precision Workstation 610 motherboard on the testbed because of some other work I was doing on it to adapt Dell power supply pinouts, Adapter cable for a 24-pin DELL ATX? It is a dual slot 2 Xeon system based on the 440GX chipset. I was having some trouble getting 2 GB of SDRAM working, Problem running 2 GB of SDRAM on a Xeon dual slot 2 440GX motherboard So I decided I would use HWINFO to read SPD values from the RAM modules. My findings are as follows:

1) HWINFO is reporting the manufacturer date as being in the future (2052 week 39). I'm not sure if HWINFO is to blame or if the SPD data is false. Of course there is a third possibility, but I don't think this went back in time on a time machine, and if it did, I'd sure hope that PC100 memory isn't still being produced 30 years from now.

2) Are you able to list other SPD values in the format CL-RCD-RP-RAS which is how Windows programs usually list them, e.g. 3.0-2-2-5?

CPU-Z also reads SPD data, maybe you could compare with its results .

Reply 534 of 881, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote on 2020-09-01, 01:56:

Problem with early DIMMs is that the format used to keep the manufacturing date was not fully defined in the specification. So each vendor used a different way of encoding and one can only guess this.
The other timings should be easy to calculate - 20 ns @ 100 MHz (= 10 ns) -> 2.

Reply 535 of 881, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mumak wrote on 2020-09-01, 07:20:

Problem with early DIMMs is that the format used to keep the manufacturing date was not fully defined in the specification. So each vendor used a different way of encoding and one can only guess this.

Ahh, too bad.

Mumak wrote on 2020-09-01, 07:20:

The other timings should be easy to calculate - 20 ns @ 100 MHz (= 10 ns) -> 2.

Are you willing to add these values pre-calculated in conventional form? I think most users would appreciate this.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 536 of 881, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is it normal that under "Drive info" there's no ATAPI CD-ROM ?

I'm using HWiNFO 6.1.2, Pentium III, Intel 815E chipset, Intel 82801BA ICH2X/M - Ultra-DMA/100 IDE Controller.
Primary Master - HDD, detected correctly
Secondary Master - CD-ROM, "<Empty>"
The CD-ROM is correctly detected by BIOS, Linux, Windows, and works fine.

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 537 of 881, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Grzyb wrote on 2020-11-22, 10:00:
Is it normal that under "Drive info" there's no ATAPI CD-ROM ? […]
Show full quote

Is it normal that under "Drive info" there's no ATAPI CD-ROM ?

I'm using HWiNFO 6.1.2, Pentium III, Intel 815E chipset, Intel 82801BA ICH2X/M - Ultra-DMA/100 IDE Controller.
Primary Master - HDD, detected correctly
Secondary Master - CD-ROM, "<Empty>"
The CD-ROM is correctly detected by BIOS, Linux, Windows, and works fine.

No, that's not normal. Is it a standard IDE/ATAPI CD-ROM? Can you try to open the Drives screen a few times if it will show up?

Reply 538 of 881, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mumak wrote on 2020-11-22, 10:31:

No, that's not normal. Is it a standard IDE/ATAPI CD-ROM? Can you try to open the Drives screen a few times if it will show up?

The CD-ROM is LG CRD-8522B
I tried entering "Drive info" multiple times, but it never shows up.

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 539 of 881, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Grzbyb - Try Navratil system info, if it display it correctly.. it means that HW is ok and could be detected.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.