Reply 40 of 87, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
root42 wrote on 2020-11-23, 12:28:
Bondi wrote on 2020-11-23, 12:00:
brostenen wrote on 2020-11-22, 09:46:

I find Adrians Digital Basement and Jan Beta more interresting than 8bit guy. Other great ones are Retrocengo, although it is about Amiga and Commodore64. Then there are GadgetUK164 and Nostalgia Nerd. Nostalgia nerd makes great videoes if Octavius kitten joins him. She just Troll's him so much. 😁

Maybe it's not the right place to ask, but and are there any good german speaking retro youtubers there? I try to keep my german alive somehow. I know Tuhl Teim DE but he's focused on more modern hardware.

I would actually love to make a German spinoff of my English YT channel, however I don't have the time and resources at the moment. But you might want to follow me, for when I actually get the time to make this a reality. 😀

the thing is that most german youtubers do their videos in english as well for a wider audience ^^

Reply 41 of 87, by held

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
shock__ wrote on 2020-11-23, 12:37:
Always felt like that with him. While he managed to sell his badly googled knowledge and retrobrite marathons quite well a while […]
Show full quote
held wrote on 2020-11-19, 19:48:

I've been watching the last video's of the 8-bit guy, and it feels like he has to do them.
Its not fun to watch anymore and I catch myself stopping them a couple of minutes in.
Its depressing to watch and feels like a chore.

Always felt like that with him.
While he managed to sell his badly googled knowledge and retrobrite marathons quite well a while back, his resignation is getting more and more obvious.
I'm sorry to say, but it shows if you're not fully passionate about the stuff you're presenting.
He should concentrate on music and programming vids, but I guess those don't throw off so much sweet, sweet youtube money. There are very few youtubers that have managed to go fulltime, yet maintain their level of quality (apart from the production value of the presentation maybe).
LGR is another offender in that category.

I have mixed feelings about Jan Beta but would still recommend him, Adrian is definitely a guy who got his things right.

Ohh, you picked up on that too 😁 I didn't want to be Mr. negative. I will check out Jan, thanks.

Reply 42 of 87, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
imi wrote on 2020-11-23, 14:20:
Bondi wrote on 2020-11-23, 12:00:

Maybe it's not the right place to ask, but and are there any good german speaking retro youtubers there? I try to keep my german alive somehow. I know Tuhl Teim DE but he's focused on more modern hardware.

I would actually love to make a German spinoff of my English YT channel, however I don't have the time and resources at the moment. But you might want to follow me, for when I actually get the time to make this a reality. 😀

the thing is that most german youtubers do their videos in english as well for a wider audience ^^

This reminds me of "Retro Snippets" channel by Scorpius. He does/did a lot of interesting videos in German about old consoles, arcades and pinball systems.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 43 of 87, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jo22 wrote on 2020-11-23, 16:35:

This reminds me of "Retro Snippets" channel by Scorpius. He does/did a lot of interesting videos in German about old consoles, arcades and pinball systems.

You see, he was active for about 8 years -- and what did he get? not even 8,000 subscribers, and probably equally small earnings. Love his dedication, though!

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 44 of 87, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's the problem with youtube.
It rewards massive output (4x 10 minute videos in 2 weeks), rather than sophisticated work (1x 40 minute video in 2 weeks).

While not exactly on the topic of retro computing, prime examples of channels done right are "Technology Connections" and "Chyrosran22" in my book. The topics are interesting, the production value is good, content is well researched and I love both guys' humour.

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 45 of 87, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
shock__ wrote on 2020-11-23, 17:37:

"Technology Connections"

I love that channel! In particular, I found his videos on laserdisc and Sony Trinitron very well made.

Guess I'll follow the current trend and recommend "This Does Not Compute" as a similarly underrated channel, with high production values and a lot of interesting of retro-themed content.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 46 of 87, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The real problem with YouTube is that most massive channels are grown from very early entries.

Meaning for most normal humans it’s too late to get a large channel on YouTube

The other way to become big is to be apart of YouTube poop and usually coming preloaded with a canned audience.

The number of decent paying YouTube slots is quite small and the pandemic has not improved matters, so the idea of becoming a paid YouTube personality has had its time come and go.

Reply 47 of 87, by Salient

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I remember a guy on YouTube called RetroAhoy. He doesn't have that many video's but he has some very elaborate ones. I especially liked the "Polybius" one. His voice is somehow also interesting to listen to.

MIDI comparison website: << Wavetable.nl >>
(Always) looking for: Any Wavetable daughterboard, MIDI Module (GM/GS/XG)

Reply 48 of 87, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That would be great! Will check out your videos now. And hopefully the german content will follow. 😀

brostenen wrote on 2020-11-23, 12:43:

I have come across a few. However they are mostly about Commodore stuff such as Amiga.
There is a channel called "Stefans Amiga Welt". It is not top pro like LGR and stuff.

Thanks for the hint. I'm not much into Amigas, but that's a good starting point for YT to suggest similar channels.

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart
archive.org: PCMCIA software, manuals, drivers

Reply 49 of 87, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It rewards massive output (4x 10 minute videos in 2 weeks), rather than sophisticated work (1x 40 minute video in 2 weeks).

While not exactly on the topic of retro computing, prime examples of channels done right are "Technology Connections" and "Chyrosran22" in my book. The topics are interesting, the production value is good, content is well researched and I love both guys' humour.

Heh.. easy fix for that is to make 1x 40 minute video and then chop it into 4 episodes.

I'm not entirely sure how a youtube channel would go over for me. I get really giddy when talking about stuff like old hardware I am interested in.

Maybe it would work... either that or I would just end up having a bunch of meme's made of me with screenshots of my videos... kinda like the "crazy girlfriend" memes.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 50 of 87, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Salient wrote on 2020-11-23, 18:35:

I remember a guy on YouTube called RetroAhoy. He doesn't have that many video's but he has some very elaborate ones. I especially liked the "Polybius" one. His voice is somehow also interesting to listen to.

Another good example for a quality channel.
While I didn't care about the Polybius video, his other stuff is usually very well researched.

[Z?]

Reply 51 of 87, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-11-23, 19:41:
Heh.. easy fix for that is to make 1x 40 minute video and then chop it into 4 episodes. […]
Show full quote

Heh.. easy fix for that is to make 1x 40 minute video and then chop it into 4 episodes.

I'm not entirely sure how a youtube channel would go over for me. I get really giddy when talking about stuff like old hardware I am interested in.

Maybe it would work... either that or I would just end up having a bunch of meme's made of me with screenshots of my videos... kinda like the "crazy girlfriend" memes.

Giddy is a form of enthusiasm which I am
Sure is fine for YouTube

Everyone is looking for a different angle

If you are made into a meme it’s a form of free advertising which should grow your base

The 8 bit guy wouldn’t be as popular as he is without stirring some controversy and ruffled feathers, no matter how you run things haters gonna hate

Reply 52 of 87, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Anyone else watching Retro Recipes? It's more style than substance sometimes but he does some fun projects and regularly makes me 🤣:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Perifractic

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 53 of 87, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nopes, exactly for the reasons you mention. His lego-C64 was quite a well built up project tho.

[Z?]

Reply 54 of 87, by Silanda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
badmojo wrote on 2020-11-23, 22:27:

Anyone else watching Retro Recipes? It's more style than substance sometimes but he does some fun projects and regularly makes me 🤣:

Their videos keep getting recommended to me, but I haven't watched many. This might sound a little strange, but parts of their fanbase put me off. Some of the people commenting on the videos sound like thirsty creeps, and what's worse is that Retro Recipes tends to love their comments.

Reply 55 of 87, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote on 2020-11-23, 22:27:

Yeah, the silliness of his videos becomes surprisingly catchy as you start watching more of them. 😄 It's retro entertainment pulling our nostalgia strings, with a high production value, but no deep dive stuff. Although I have to say that the restoration of that Atari 800XL home computer was seriously impressive. At the start of the video, you really think "How on Earth are you going to be able to restore something like that to anything even remotely close to mint condition again?" But the end result was quite amazing. (He gets a lot of help with many of his restoration videos and other projects, but he always gives the people who helped him a shout-out.)

Adrian's Digital Basement was rightfully mentioned before here. His videos are indeed quite fun to watch, as well as educational. Also, he just seems like a really sympathetic guy. And his enthusiasm is infectious. Strangely enough, he doesn't appear to have a Patreon account.

I'm still a fan of the 8-bit Guy. Like others, I'm going to ascribe his more stressful and somewhat less enthusiastic demeanour in his recent videos (as well as the lower number of videos lately) to the construction of that new shed/studio that has been keeping him busy. Let's see if he's back in form once that work is done and he's finally moved in and settled. I think he's been saving some good material for future episodes in the pipeline, waiting for the new studio to be complete before he commits on using them for future episodes. Give him time.

Reply 56 of 87, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bondi wrote on 2020-11-20, 11:07:

On a different note, I've been watching Adrian's Digital Basement videos recently and really enjoyed them. The true enthusiasm is there and narration is really pleasing. He resides in US, but his english sounds canadian, which is music to my ears.

Well spotted. I didn't pick up on his accent myself, but I heard him mention that he was originally from Montreal (or at least from Quebec) in one of his videos.

"Let's get right to it!"

Reply 57 of 87, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Carrera wrote on 2020-11-20, 11:24:
Subscription=$€ To subscribe you must log on. When you log on they know who you are When they know who you are they can find you […]
Show full quote

Subscription=$€
To subscribe you must log on.
When you log on they know who you are
When they know who you are they can find you.
When the find you they force feed your pets high-carbohydrate food.

Oh no, they do something far more evil:

They feed your information bubble with more similar stuff, ensuring you are ensnared in their cute little ecosystem of user-driven contents aka Web x.0 ake modern slavery where the content-producer is both the slave-driver and the slave. The algorithms are basically designed to work like some kind of drug-dealer, always feeding consumers with stuff that is likely to hold their interest (and therefore keep them locked in on the site in question, be it Youtube, Facebook, Twitter, or whatever other social media service).

I wish what I just wrote was only me being extremely cynical instead of being a cynical comment based on reality - the comparisons with drugs and slavery are mine, the rest unfortunately isn't. 😐

Big Pink wrote on 2020-11-20, 18:15:
newtmonkey wrote on 2020-11-20, 11:05:

I think I noticed a change with him after he put up (and then took down) that ridiculous AI video... I know he got a LOT of grief over that and I wonder if it might have soured him a bit on his fanbase or Youtube in general.

As for the AI video; it seems odd he had the balls to record himself declaring he could sit down and create AI if he really wanted to, but not to stand by that statement when the (presumably unforseen) audience reaction was negative. From what I can remember of it before he pulled the video, he did make some interesting points but they were lost amongst the more ridiculous claims. What could have been a video to stimulate discussion and debate instead became the 'social media' reality of being bombarded with negative comments day after day. Is it any wonder he's soured?

If only the people commenting had had any clue of the kind of stuff that gets called "AI" these days. Smart regular expressions are already considered "AI" by some, as do simple stochastic or iterative processes. The whole term has become a parody of itself, mostly thanks to The Industry(TM) completely misrepresenting it in the name of marketing.
Personally I simply substitute "AI" for "AS" (Artificial Stupidity) whenever I encounter the term. Seems more accurate, especially because most examples of AI research that get a lot of publicity always seem to have some kind of very obvious flaw or incorrect assumption that anyone who did some basic reading on human cognition could point out.

rmay635703 wrote on 2020-11-23, 19:57:
Giddy is a form of enthusiasm which I am Sure is fine for YouTube […]
Show full quote

Giddy is a form of enthusiasm which I am
Sure is fine for YouTube

Everyone is looking for a different angle

If you are made into a meme it’s a form of free advertising which should grow your base

The 8 bit guy wouldn’t be as popular as he is without stirring some controversy and ruffled feathers, no matter how you run things haters gonna hate

Dude (or Gal), you start off your post with something that reads like Poetry, and then totally ruin the effect with your last sentence. 😜

Reply 58 of 87, by Carrera

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
yawetaG wrote on 2020-11-24, 06:25:
Oh no, they do something far more evil: […]
Show full quote
Carrera wrote on 2020-11-20, 11:24:
Subscription=$€ To subscribe you must log on. When you log on they know who you are When they know who you are they can find you […]
Show full quote

Subscription=$€
To subscribe you must log on.
When you log on they know who you are
When they know who you are they can find you.
When the find you they force feed your pets high-carbohydrate food.

Oh no, they do something far more evil:

They feed your information bubble with more similar stuff, ensuring you are ensnared in their cute little ecosystem of user-driven contents aka Web x.0 ake modern slavery where the content-producer is both the slave-driver and the slave. The algorithms are basically designed to work like some kind of drug-dealer, always feeding consumers with stuff that is likely to hold their interest (and therefore keep them locked in on the site in question, be it Youtube, Facebook, Twitter, or whatever other social media service).

I wish what I just wrote was only me being extremely cynical instead of being a cynical comment based on reality - the comparisons with drugs and slavery are mine, the rest unfortunately isn't. 😐

Yep... hence the Internet makes you stupid and The Onion and The Register.co.uk are the only news I trust...
😁

Reply 59 of 87, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I only subscribe to LGR, Nostalgia Nerd, RMC The Cave and ADG. The others I'll catch when they show up in my recommendations. I also totally missed out on all the 8 Bit Guy controversy but I also don't watch every video although I mostly like his voice and editing. The music is okay too, I guess. I realise there is a vast cultural gulf separating me from someone who will bring a rifle to a restaurant to make a point but what can you do.

Mostly I try not to get too worked up about "free" entertainment.