VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 37020 of 52205, by torpedo_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SVD wrote on 2020-11-24, 18:33:

Some i already got but because of the overwhelming amount before I forgot about...
IBM 760ED missing powersupply... I can't seem to find a replacement. Proprietary 4 pin thing.

I'm using this adapter for my 760C.

Attachments

Reply 37022 of 52205, by torpedo_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SVD wrote on 2020-11-24, 21:00:

Thanks. Where did you get that?😊

Previous owner gave it to me. He didn't have original power adapter, only this extension. No clue if it can be found on eBay or similar pages.

Reply 37023 of 52205, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
psychofox wrote on 2020-11-24, 11:54:
Todays find - SB 2.0 combined with IDE and floppy controller. Pretty rare card i guess? Unfortunately it has no sockets for CMS […]
Show full quote

Todays find - SB 2.0 combined with IDE and floppy controller. Pretty rare card i guess?
Unfortunately it has no sockets for CMS chips 🙁

Capture-00050.jpg

It's a beautiful card. It'll be perfect for a late 286 or 386 machine.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 37024 of 52205, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HanJammer wrote on 2020-11-24, 15:25:
GL1zdA wrote on 2020-11-24, 12:09:
psychofox wrote on 2020-11-24, 11:54:

Todays find - SB 2.0 combined with IDE and floppy controller. Pretty rare card i guess?
Unfortunately it has no sockets for CMS chips 🙁

Nice find. I'm wondering where Avid used these cards. This one doesn't look like cards for video production, what Avid normally does.

Avid built complete system for video production. I guess it comes from one of these. Also it's cleary made by Creative Labs (even the typography seems familiar).

Yeah, I would expect it in one of their turnkey systems, but for what reason? The quality is definitely not for broadcast/production video, Avid used high-end AD/DA cards with big break-out boxes for this purpose. The copyright date (1991) is another interesting thing. In 1991 Avid's flagship product, the Media Composer, would still run on NuBus Macs, so it definitely wasn't used there. Maybe they used it in some utility appliance that just needed to communicate with the user and was so small, that the floppy and HDD controller had to be on a single card?

The font is indeed the one Creative used for their chips.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 37025 of 52205, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GL1zdA wrote on 2020-11-25, 08:27:
GL1zdA wrote on 2020-11-24, 12:09:

Nice find. I'm wondering where Avid used these cards. This one doesn't look like cards for video production, what Avid normally does.

Avid built complete system for video production. I guess it comes from one of these. Also it's cleary made by Creative Labs (even the typography seems familiar).

Yeah, I would expect it in one of their turnkey systems, but for what reason? The quality is definitely not for broadcast/production video, Avid used high-end AD/DA cards with big break-out boxes for this purpose. The copyright date (1991) is another interesting thing. In 1991 Avid's flagship product, the Media Composer, would still run on NuBus Macs, so it definitely wasn't used there. Maybe they used it in some utility appliance that just needed to communicate with the user and was so small, that the floppy and HDD controller had to be on a single card?

Another idea is that it was bundled with some of their software for consumer market.
They also sold re-branded SB Pro: https://www.amazon.co.uk/CREATIVE-Sound-Card- … d/dp/B009SFGBGK

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 37027 of 52205, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HanJammer wrote on 2020-11-25, 09:15:
GL1zdA wrote on 2020-11-25, 08:27:

Another idea is that it was bundled with some of their software for consumer market.
They also sold re-branded SB Pro: https://www.amazon.co.uk/CREATIVE-Sound-Card- … d/dp/B009SFGBGK

Never knew they basically rebadged Sound Blasters. Apparently the rebranded one is called "Sound Booster Pro" https://www.wavetable.nl/files/articles ... 20maak.pdf .

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 37028 of 52205, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I haven't been buying much lately but came across these for $20 and couldn't say no even though I don't need them:

Prolink-Pixelview-Ge-Force2-Ultra.jpg Fastware-TNT2-M64-PCI.jpg Intel-Pentium-III-1000-B-B.jpg

I had a GeForce2 Ti but the Ultra is substantially more rare unless I am wrong. A TNT2 M64 won't set the world on fire but it's PCI so that makes it a good pick for some Socket 7 through Socket 370 builds. The P3-1000 was just a last minute throw in.

I also got these from @dreamblaster. You make awesomesauce stuff my friend.

Serdaco-Yucatan-FX-Front.jpg Serdaco-Yucatan-FX-Rear.jpg

I also bought a FIC FR33E mATX Socket 370 board to replace the PC Partner PM601TMS3-T898C I currently have in there. Both are PLE133T boards, but this one supports VIA C3 which I plan to use for a DOS/Win9x frankenstein build.. I'll post photos of that one later.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 37031 of 52205, by Aublak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

More e-waste loot for $43

-MSI MS-4144 Socket 3 Motherboard
Its missing its BIOS chip, but there seems to be a dump on win3x.org. I'll see if I can program a chip.
Thank you, win3x crew.

-Winbound VLB IO card
-Trident Blade 3D

I just felt like I should own a terrible card.
-Trident Blade XP
confirmed broken upon closer inspection
-Voodoo2
has bad water damage on the back. Might be repairable.
-Geforce3
-Geforce256 DDR
-3x Tseng Hercules VLB
They all have rusty vga ouputs. I dunno how to replace vga plugs yet. Soldering them on shouldn't be a problem. Its just figuring out how to remove the rusty ones without damaging the pcb seems to be a problem.
-another Sound Blaster CT1350B
I suppose I have two now. The other one is a Rev. 4. I dunno which revision this is.
-Asus Geforce FX 5950 Ultra
Beautiful card. I pulled it straight from a computer. I just don't know what its good for. Its not really a win9x card and it doesn't seem to be an amazing winXP card when compared to later offerings. However, it is rare.
-3DFX Velocity
-2x Voodoo3 3000

only cards that I've tested and confirm working so far
-AEW32
some of the hackwork wiring that Creative did came undone. Should be easy to fix.
-Radeon 7500
at least I think so. Might be a 7000
-Promise Sata PCI card
should be useful
-S3 Vision968 PCI
Looks great, so I took it. Big lettering on the back; "Number Nine Visual Technology"

My PCChips M919 mobo that I posted earlier in this thread is working, but the ISA and VLB slots don't. Only plugging in a PCI video card works. Is there something I'm missing? Anything ISA doesn't work with it. Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

appiah4 wrote on 2020-11-25, 12:48:
I haven't been buying much lately but came across these for $20 and couldn't say no even though I don't need them: […]
Show full quote

I haven't been buying much lately but came across these for $20 and couldn't say no even though I don't need them:

Prolink-Pixelview-Ge-Force2-Ultra.jpg Fastware-TNT2-M64-PCI.jpg Intel-Pentium-III-1000-B-B.jpg

I had a GeForce2 Ti but the Ultra is substantially more rare unless I am wrong. A TNT2 M64 won't set the world on fire but it's PCI so that makes it a good pick for some Socket 7 through Socket 370 builds. The P3-1000 was just a last minute throw in.

I also got these from @dreamblaster. You make awesomesauce stuff my friend.

Serdaco-Yucatan-FX-Front.jpg Serdaco-Yucatan-FX-Rear.jpg

I also bought a FIC FR33E mATX Socket 370 board to replace the PC Partner PM601TMS3-T898C I currently have in there. Both are PLE133T boards, but this one supports VIA C3 which I plan to use for a DOS/Win9x frankenstein build.. I'll post photos of that one later.

Yes the Ultra seem to be quite a bit rarer.
M64 isn't a bad card really. Yours is PCI and has a beautiful fan on it. I'd say its a keeper for its sheer utility.

Attachments

• IMG_20201124_152522.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20201124_152522.jpg
    File size
    1.13 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    MSI MS-4144 Socket 3 Motherboard
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_20201124_185106.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20201124_185106.jpg
    File size
    1.39 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Loot 1
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_20201124_185823.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20201124_185823.jpg
    File size
    1.2 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Loot 2
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by Aublak on 2020-11-26, 07:00. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 37032 of 52205, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I didn't know Blade3D existed as discrete graphics cards..

Is that weird 3dfx card a Banshee or a Velocity 1000?

ALso, that Hercules VLB card that shoes only its back - what is that? Another Tseng?

Very nice haul. I am extra jealous of the super mint looking SB 2.0...

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 37033 of 52205, by Aublak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2020-11-25, 22:07:
I didn't know Blade3D existed as discrete graphics cards.. […]
Show full quote

I didn't know Blade3D existed as discrete graphics cards..

Is that weird 3dfx card a Banshee or a Velocity 1000?

ALso, that Hercules VLB card that shoes only its back - what is that? Another Tseng?

Very nice haul. I am extra jealous of the super mint looking SB 2.0...

I knew little about late Trident cards until I found one in a pile.

Yeah, its a Velocity

The Hercules showing its back looks the same as the card next to it, which is another Herc. The Hercules VLB in 'Loot 1' looks different from the two Hercules in 'Loot 2'.

Yeah, those early SB cards seem to be very sturdy. Every one I find is in perfect shape.

Reply 37035 of 52205, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bought Samsung Syncmaster 213T, which is 21.3" 1600x1200 LCD for my retro machines.

Perfect 1:2 scaling for 800x600 resolution. For lower resolutions, it just has a buttload of pixels to use, so hopefully a good upgrade over current 1280x1024 19" screen. 😀

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 37037 of 52205, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SVD wrote on 2020-11-26, 11:13:

Perfect scaling is only important for LCDs. CRTs have variable pixel size 😀 So get an CRT 😉

Sure. CRT also needs a lot of space...

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 37038 of 52205, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not really retro, just old, but I bought an old rackmount server cheap, which arrived today -

VEw03Etl.jpg

An Intel Server System R1304BTSSFAN, with Intel Server Board S1200BTS. Socket LGA1155, Intel C202 Chipset.

Installed CPU is Intel Xeon E3-1220, Quad Core 3.40GHz. Currently has 4GB DDR3 RAM installed.

Was surprised to see it has a PCIe x16 slot, not that it's particularly useful inside this case.

No idea what I'm going to use it for at present, possibly a secondary room PC for now. I quite like how easy it is to fit things inside, so quite possibly it could become a new server in the future,

Reply 37039 of 52205, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This stuff... the simulator thing is the one I showed few days ago on the seller's pics...

Attachments

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg