Common searches

DOSBox-X branch

Topic actions

Reply 2060 of 2397, by Arthandas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
TheGreatCodeholio wrote on 2020-12-01, 01:13:

as it would actually occur on real hardware.

Are you sure it would? I believe this is played in real DOS and there's no flicker:
https://youtu.be/BG1mbhc0Cv0

Reply 2061 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Arthandas wrote on 2020-12-01, 01:25:
TheGreatCodeholio wrote on 2020-12-01, 01:13:

as it would actually occur on real hardware.

Are you sure it would? I believe this is played in real DOS and there's no flicker:
https://youtu.be/BG1mbhc0Cv0

The video capture also seems to have a fairly choppy frame rate that generally hides the flickering. But notice at 4:25 that not even a low frame rate can not hide all the flickering.

At the right cycle count, the cursor seems to flicker such that it disappears and reappears every other frame. So in the first half, you're probably seeing the perfect timing that makes it appear solid. But then go to 7:26 and notice that the cursor is now invisible, meaning you're seeing every other frame where the cursor has been erased from screen, but not when it's drawn again.

I'd post a link with timecode but apparently it takes YouTube 5+ minutes to load the "share this video, here's the link" dialog when you click "share video".

Firefox_Screenshot_2020-12-01T01-33-41.018Z.png
Filename
Firefox_Screenshot_2020-12-01T01-33-41.018Z.png
File size
132.66 KiB
Views
File comment
YouTube: When even sharing a video is rocket science that requires the server to think long and hard about it >:(
File license
Public domain

DOSBox-X project: more emulation better accuracy.
DOSLIB and DOSLIB2: Learn how to tinker and hack hardware and software from DOS.

Reply 2062 of 2397, by Arthandas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
TheGreatCodeholio wrote on 2020-12-01, 01:35:

But notice at 4:25 that not even a low frame rate can not hide all the flickering.

You're right, I checked only the beginning to avoid spoilers. Guess I'll just have to live with it. Thanks for your time 😀

Reply 2063 of 2397, by willow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

"glide

Default value: false

Possible values: true, false

Enables high-level Glide API pass-through to the host OS. This requires that the host OS has a Glide API library (or Glide wrapper) installed, and in addition it requires the special GLIDE2X.OVL file provided by DOSBox-X.
"
https://dosbox-x.com/wiki/Guide%3ASetting-up- … OSBox%E2%80%90X

When I downloaded dosbox-x windows portable version, I don't find glide2X.ovl file special for dosbox-x. Where can I download this file ?

Reply 2064 of 2397, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The glide2x.ovl is found on the emulated Z: drive, but only if you successfully enable glide on the host (have the glide wrapper correctly installed) and have the glide option enabled.

Reply 2065 of 2397, by willow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
_Rob wrote on 2020-12-26, 23:19:

The glide2x.ovl is found on the emulated Z: drive, but only if you successfully enable glide on the host (have the glide wrapper correctly installed) and have the glide option enabled.

Thanks.
I have succeeded to enable glide on the host. I see 3dfx logo (I have copy 3dfxspl2.dll in doxbox-x folder).

I have a problem with screamer rally. When I launch SR, 3dfx logo is displayed but game doesn't launch. With dosbox ECE, it works. I don't know why.

Reply 2066 of 2397, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Perhaps best if you open an issue on github. Also, can you run other 3dfx titles correctly? For instance Tomb Raider?

In any case, I gave Screamer Rally a quick try on my Linux machine, and it worked fine with glide emulation mode with DOSBox-X SDL1, but trying it with the SDL2 binary resulted in a segfault when starting the game.

Reply 2067 of 2397, by willow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
_Rob wrote on 2020-12-27, 10:15:

Perhaps best if you open an issue on github. Also, can you run other 3dfx titles correctly? For instance Tomb Raider?

In any case, I gave Screamer Rally a quick try on my Linux machine, and it worked fine with glide emulation mode with DOSBox-X SDL1, but trying it with the SDL2 binary resulted in a segfault when starting the game.

I have tried with SDL2 version 32 bits on windows 10 64 bits. With sdl1 version, there is the same problem.

If I launch other versions than 3dfx version of SR, the game doesn't detect cd with dosbox-x. With dosbox ece or dosbox 0.74-3, it works. I don't know why.

I have tried 3dfx version of lands of lore 2 and it works with dosbox-x sdl2 32 bits version with windows 10 64.

Reply 2068 of 2397, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have only the 64bit binaries to test. I don't do any testing with 32bit.

In any case, regarding my segfault, I get the same thing with the SDL2 binary and GTA. So I have opened an issue on github for it.

Mounting a CD should be really easy, something like:

imgmount d c:\games\sr\cd.iso

No additional parameters are needed if it is a ISO or CUE file as it will be auto detected as a CD-ROM.

If your trying to mount a real physical CD with the SDL2 binary, there is a known issue that was recently fixed and should be in the next release, which should be out in a few days.

Reply 2069 of 2397, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Where on macOS is the dosbox.conf read by the app? I couldn’t find it, I was trying to set it up the easy way for my dad so he could play some SC2000

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 2070 of 2397, by willow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
_Rob wrote on 2020-12-27, 14:05:
I have only the 64bit binaries to test. I don't do any testing with 32bit. […]
Show full quote

I have only the 64bit binaries to test. I don't do any testing with 32bit.

In any case, regarding my segfault, I get the same thing with the SDL2 binary and GTA. So I have opened an issue on github for it.

Mounting a CD should be really easy, something like:

imgmount d c:\games\sr\cd.iso

No additional parameters are needed if it is a ISO or CUE file as it will be auto detected as a CD-ROM.

If your trying to mount a real physical CD with the SDL2 binary, there is a known issue that was recently fixed and should be in the next release, which should be out in a few days.

I use deamon tools lite and I have mounted cd image but with dosbox-x, I can access cd drive but when i Launch the game, it said that cd is not detected. With dosbox ece or dosbox0 74.3 and the same parameters, it works. With lands of lore 2, it works with dosbox-x.

I don't know why there is any difference with this game for dosbox-x.

Reply 2071 of 2397, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If it is an ISO or CUE/BIN file, why not mount it directly with dosbox-x instead of using an external mounting tool like Deamon tools?

As I said, just mount it with the IMGMOUNT command.

Reply 2072 of 2397, by willow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
_Rob wrote on 2020-12-27, 16:02:

If it is an ISO or CUE/BIN file, why not mount it directly with dosbox-x instead of using an external mounting tool like Deamon tools?

it's a cue/bin file
Because it's more simple for me and it should change nothing.
I mount lol2.iso with deamon tools and it works with dosbox-x.

_Rob wrote on 2020-12-27, 16:02:

As I said, just mount it with the IMGMOUNT command.

I have tried. Game launch but no cd music.

I don't know why it's strange.

Maybe a bug with dbgl.

EDIT :
I have tried to mount directly iso image with dbgl and not folder after mount with deamon tools. It works. Game is launched with cd music.
Nevertheless, 3dfx rendering is totally broken with dosbox-X 0.83.8+ nglide2.1.

Reply 2073 of 2397, by Wengier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

willow: I just tried Screamer Rally on my Windows 10 machine, using nglide on DOSBox-X 0.83.8 SDL1 32-bit build and dgvoodoo on DOSBox-X 0.83.8 32-bit SDL2 build. In both cases the game launches and I can see the tile screen. Then I need to press Enter a few times to go to the main game. I noticed that the font seems to be missing on the screen, but the graphics does show up (see attachments for screenshots when running in the Windows SDL2 build).

With OpenGlide I could also run it on Linux SDL1 build, although it will cause a segfault on Linux SDL2 build as mentioned by Rob. This is perhaps a bug of one of OpenGlide's functions.

Attachments

• sr1.png
    Filename
    sr1.png
    File size
    206.98 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • sr2.png
    Filename
    sr2.png
    File size
    593.63 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2074 of 2397, by willow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Wengier wrote on 2020-12-28, 02:28:

willow: I just tried Screamer Rally on my Windows 10 machine, using nglide on DOSBox-X 0.83.8 SDL1 32-bit build and dgvoodoo on DOSBox-X 0.83.8 32-bit SDL2 build. In both cases the game launches and I can see the tile screen. Then I need to press Enter a few times to go to the main game. I noticed that the font seems to be missing on the screen, but the graphics does show up (see attachments for screenshots when running in the Windows SDL2 build).

With OpenGlide I could also run it on Linux SDL1 build, although it will cause a segfault on Linux SDL2 build as mentioned by Rob. This is perhaps a bug of one of OpenGlide's functions.

I have tried and I have the same thing. Rendering of 2d elements is broken with dosbox-x. With dosbox-x, rendering is good

dosbox ece
dosboxece.jpg
Sans-titre.jpg

dosbox-x
dosbox-x-img2-sdl2-32.jpg
dosbox-x-sdl2-32.jpg

dgvoodoo 2 doesn't worked with sdl1 32 bits version.

Reply 2075 of 2397, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Bruninho wrote on 2020-12-27, 14:51:

Where on macOS is the dosbox.conf read by the app? I couldn’t find it, I was trying to set it up the easy way for my dad so he could play some SC2000

The default config file location on macOS, according to the dosbox-x wiki is:

~/Library/Preferences/DOSBox-X <version number> Preferences

https://dosbox-x.com/wiki/

Reply 2079 of 2397, by gfernval

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The source file sdlmain.cpp of DOSBox should have the variable curscr declared with other name than curscr, because it is in conflict with
curscr used in several modules of libpdcurses package included in DOSBox source code