VOGONS

Toshiba Satellite Pro 430CDT

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 63, by Gered

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
serenitatis wrote on 2020-10-22, 14:28:

Can you upload your utility for time setup on boot?

Sure, you can download the .exe and the .bas source code right here.

486DX2-66/16MB/S3 Trio32 VLB/SBPro2/GUS
P233 MMX/64MB/Voodoo2/Matrox/YMF719/GUS CD3
Duron 800/256MB/Savage4 Pro/SBLive (IN PROGRESS)
Toshiba 430CDT

Reply 22 of 63, by RetroLizard

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have one of these machines myself, but I'm unsure how to install MS-DOS 6.22/W3.1 on it without a floppy drive. Any way to get the machine to boot from CD-ROM, by chance? Or maybe a PCMCIA card with a USB floppy drive?

Reply 23 of 63, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got a 400cdt earlier this week, which was the one recommended by 8bitguy for dos gaming because of the 640x480 screen res. Sadly the seller didn't pack it well so it arrived with a cracked screen 🙁 Now I have to wonder how to find a replacement screen for it. Can't figure out how to open it to check what's the model number of the old screen either 🙁 BTW mine came with two external floppy drives that plug into a connector on the side of the laptop

1999 Dream PC project | DirectX 8 PC project | 2003 Dream PC project

Reply 24 of 63, by MAZter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
God Of Gaming wrote on 2020-11-21, 19:32:

Now I have to wonder how to find a replacement screen for it.

Screen is expensive today:

LTM10C021K
https://www.impactcomputers.com/p000204490.html

Not sure, if this screen interchangeable with one of this:

LTM10C021
LTM10C025

Doom is what you want (c) MAZter

Reply 25 of 63, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Damn, that is pricy. Thanks for letting me know the exact model, tho I will still need to figure out how to disassemble the laptop to replace it once I can get one. The upper part where the screen is seems to have no screws or anything, I have no idea how its supposed to open. I tried to open the bottom part where the motherboard is to take a look at it, but couldnt open that one either, after taking out the screws, and finding the plastic clips holding it together, something right in the middle was still holding it together not letting me completely open it, and I was afraid to pull any harder as I might break whatever its holding it together and it could be something important. Were these meant to be user servicable at all?

p.s. RIP screen, laptop was just 30 euros too, and now I have to spend more than twice that for new screen 😒 just because seller hadn't packed it well, was just inside cardboard box with no foam or padding, not even "fragile" sticker, and the couriers applied their "gentle touch" as usual
umhGuuv.jpg

1999 Dream PC project | DirectX 8 PC project | 2003 Dream PC project

Reply 26 of 63, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Damn, I had the same happen to a Toshiba Tecra 520CDT - the laptop was in absolutely perfect condition in the pictures. But the seller didn't pack it well in the laptop bag and a clip on the laptop bag, got pushed into it and broke the screen. Another one that's difficult to find the screens for.

With the Toshiba Satellite models - the 400CDT is shared with a whole bunch of Toshibas from the Satellite 100CT & 200CDT. I used the LCD from a Satellite 100CT (no soundcard!) where the BIOS battery had ruined the mainboard to repair my Satellite Pro 410CDT, which had an LCD that just displayed white. Perhaps get hold of a similar laptop that no longer turns on due to corrosion and repair it that way.
This covers how you remove the "Display Mask" then the screen: http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/manuals/Toshi … ce%20Manual.pdf

Reply 27 of 63, by Spitz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
serenitatis wrote on 2020-10-22, 14:28:

Yesterday I got Satellite 210CS which is very similar to 430CDT and find few tips very cool. fan.exe helps me to test fan (working OK) and vexp is also very useful. If they could to replace horrible CSTN matrix to TFT 😀 But my laptop is very reliable for Win95/DOS stuff. For DOS games I plan to use external monitor. Also my CD-ROM seems to be died at my hands. But I'm lucky one and have spare drive. Now my 210CS have 24x CD-ROM and ability to read CD-RW discs. Which is very useful for files exchange from modern PC.

Can you upload your utility for time setup on boot?

https://www.timesynctool.com/ That's the tool. I have Bunch of Sattelite/PRO first thing Im cutting off battery to prevent leakage.... Do it fin 1st place in Yours (it's just under they keyboard). I have one spare 210 CDT with TFT active matrix for parts too.

Well... I miss 80/90s ... End of story

Reply 28 of 63, by flyboypuoi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for making this post. I actually finally created an account to write this.
I recieved a Tecra 700CT for Christmas, which is quite similar. Mine is in pretty rough shape but it works.
I used your photos of the floppy drive to try and find a replacement, someone is selling an external drive which looks identical and I should be able to take it out of the sleeve and put it in the laptop, then still have the external option.
The fan hasn't ever come on on my one either. I'll see what fan.exe does.
I'm also curious about the screen stretching too.
All in all, thank you so much for writing all of this, taking many photos, and sharing links to those files. I really, really appreciate it.

Reply 29 of 63, by Gered

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No problem @flyboypuoi, glad it was helpful for you. 😀 Tecra 700CT is a nice machine!

Toshiba 430CDT

Reply 30 of 63, by maverick85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i have the 400cdt collecting the proverbial dust purchased for a princely sum of £39.40 on fleabay all inclusive in dec 2016 straight after watching 8bitguy
https://youtu.be/ceRRHqRJGrA

ASRock 98
Win98SE Desktop
ASRock
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz
1 x 512MB 667 MHz DDR2
Soundblaster SB0100 + Altec Lansing ADA885
ATi Radeon X800XT 256MB GDDR3
1 x SATA 120GB HDD
1 x SATA DVD-RW

Reply 31 of 63, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had no idea the Satellite 400CDT had a VGA rather than SVGA screen, that makes it potentially the best DOS laptop out there. No need for scaling and a nice compatible soundcard.

Reply 32 of 63, by Gered

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Definitely, the 400CDT would be the perfect DOS laptop as far as I'm concerned. They do seem to be quite uncommon compared to any of the other 4x0CDT models, however.

Toshiba 430CDT

Reply 33 of 63, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Back in the day, I expect that a VGA screen must have seemed quite paltry compared to the huge SVGA screen of later Toshibas 😀

I'll have to keep an eye out for another one, I've got the Panasonic Toughbook CF-41 mk3, which has a CD-rom drive just under the keyboard and a great VGA TFT screen, but the fan is too noisy.

maverick85: Please remove the batteries for the standby and CMOS battery under the keyboard, those can and frequently do destroy the motherboards!

Reply 34 of 63, by maverick85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Thermalwrong wrote on 2021-01-14, 01:35:

Back in the day, I expect that a VGA screen must have seemed quite paltry compared to the huge SVGA screen of later Toshibas 😀

I'll have to keep an eye out for another one, I've got the Panasonic Toughbook CF-41 mk3, which has a CD-rom drive just under the keyboard and a great VGA TFT screen, but the fan is too noisy.

maverick85: Please remove the batteries for the standby and CMOS battery under the keyboard, those can and frequently do destroy the motherboards!

how?

ASRock 98
Win98SE Desktop
ASRock
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz
1 x 512MB 667 MHz DDR2
Soundblaster SB0100 + Altec Lansing ADA885
ATi Radeon X800XT 256MB GDDR3
1 x SATA 120GB HDD
1 x SATA DVD-RW

Reply 35 of 63, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You need to remove the keyboard, from there you can kind of get to both batteries. See section 4.9 of this for some pictures: http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/manuals/Toshi … ce%20Manual.pdf

There are two batteries in there, one big sub-battery for its standby mode to swap batteries, and a smaller 3 cell CMOS battery. By this point, both will very likely have begun to leak. Just removing them should be fine. It will mean reconfiguring the CMOS each time it's powered off but I find that's quite easy on the Toshibas.

Reply 36 of 63, by dinth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gered wrote on 2018-08-10, 00:30:

A month ago I picked up this laptop from a local Kijiji seller for pretty cheap.

Hi Gered! I hope you are well. Sorry for refreshing an old topic, but i was wondering if you have any other photos from assembly/disassembly of this laptop?
I have bought same 400CDT in November last year to celebrate DOSember, unfortunately after bringing it home i found it doesnt work. I took it apart just to find that the batteries leaked and the motherboard is completely destroyed. Washed all the parts and started looking for a spare motherboard on ebay. After a couple of weeks i found one internationally and bought it, but when it arrived i noticed that the docking port is destroyed. After another few weeks i have managed to import 410CDT motherboard, apparently fully working. Unfortunately few months have passed since i originally took the laptop apart and i completely forgotten how to put everything back together, especially all those tiny pieces of shielding and plastic which covered the motherboard.

Reply 37 of 63, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dinth wrote on 2021-05-07, 05:28:

Unfortunately few months have passed since i originally took the laptop apart and i completely forgotten how to put everything back together, especially all those tiny pieces of shielding and plastic which covered the motherboard.

Hi there. I've taken the 400CDT apart and put it back together using the original maintenance manual:

https://usermanual.wiki/Collections/Product-M … Manual.pdf.html

Although the laptop is a bit of a pain to disassemble, the manual itself is excellent and should tell you everything you need to know.

Reply 38 of 63, by Gered

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi dinth! Sorry to hear about all the troubles you've gone through with this! :'( Here's the link to all of the photos I took during disassembly (plus a bunch more from before and after), but I don't think there is anything in there that will help you beyond what I already shared in the first post of this thread, unfortunately.

I would agree that your best bet at this point is probably to reference the manual that henryVK linked above. Personally, I found the manual to not be exactly "excellent" when it came to pictures/diagrams of certain things during my own disassembly, but regardless, it's still probably your best bet.

Toshiba 430CDT

Reply 39 of 63, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My sister had a Toshiba 17” Satellite for a few years but had to trade it in for a smaller laptop as it was to BIG to be mobile.
I was at a local used computer reseller store and found this “Gloss Black Toshiba”
This thing is a Cadillac. An 18” Satellite load with Harmon Kardon 2.1 audio.
It a real beauty with Aluminum keyboard. Executive class laptop.

Attachments