DOSBox Game Launcher (DOSBox Frontend)

Topic actions

Reply 1622 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
willow wrote on 2020-12-26, 12:14:

I have a problem with dosbox-x and dbgl. Some option supported by dosbox-x are grey.

Yeah, it's getting a bit silly trying to keep up with the ever-changing DOSBox-x features and settings. But most outdated settings ought to be fixed in beta8, so it should work better now.

In midi device, mt32 is not available. Dosbox-x support mt32 with the last version. With dosbox ece, mt32 is available. Is there any solution ?

There is, just make sure you're using this latest DBGL beta build, and make sure you add the value 'mt32' in the DBGL DOSBox version-specific dynamic options as shown here

All the latest files. To upgrade, just update dbgl.jar. If you're upgrading from the latest official DBGL release (0.92) you also need the replace the files in the lib folder.

Ronald

Reply 1623 of 1968, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Neville wrote on 2020-12-29, 17:50:

In midi device, mt32 is not available. Dosbox-x support mt32 with the last version. With dosbox ece, mt32 is available. Is there any solution ?

There is, just make sure you're using this latest DBGL beta build, and make sure you add the value 'mt32' in the DBGL DOSBox version-specific dynamic options as shown here

Somehow I think this is a step back. IIRC DBGL before didn't need this step. Can you do anything about this?

Reply 1624 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't see how, Neville. Several years ago it was somewhat plausible to detect special DOSBox versions such as the ones from Gulikoza or Daum based on the available options in dosbox.conf, but with so many (rapidly changing) special DOSBox versions floating around these days (and having such a wide array of extended functionality) that's practically undoable. Therefore, I think that - for the moment - it would be best to let the DBGL user decide him/herself on the required DOSBox options for a special DOSBox build. Unless someone can suggest a better solution, that is.

Reply 1625 of 1968, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The only alternative I see is to enable it for all builds of DOSBox. What would happen if regular DOSBox gets the command midi=mt32? If it switches to default, that would be OK. If it doesn't or or as a result it doesn't play any MIDI, then it's out of the table.

What do you think?

Reply 1626 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That is still possible by adding mt32 in the 'generic' dynamic options in File->Preferences->Dynamic Options. These are shared by all DOSBox versions that are not using version-specific settings. However, I'd rather not add these kind of options to DBGL's defaults as it would likely lead to questions from less informed users.

Reply 1627 of 1968, by Silverfish2910

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does anyone know why I am getting the message

Couldn't open file "O:\DBGL\DOSBox-0.74-3\dosbox.conf" whenever I try and open a game or edit a profile?

Already tried searching here for answers. Thanks.

Reply 1628 of 1968, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rcblanke wrote on 2020-12-29, 21:15:

That is still possible by adding mt32 in the 'generic' dynamic options in File->Preferences->Dynamic Options. These are shared by all DOSBox versions that are not using version-specific settings. However, I'd rather not add these kind of options to DBGL's defaults as it would likely lead to questions from less informed users.

That sounds sensible.

Reply 1629 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Silverfish2910 wrote on 2020-12-30, 02:57:

Does anyone know why I am getting the message Couldn't open file "O:\DBGL\DOSBox-0.74-3\dosbox.conf" whenever I try and open a game or edit a profile?

DBGL requires each configured DOSBox version to be able to load its defaults from dosbox.conf. Does the file at O:\DBGL\DOSBox-0.74-3\dosbox.conf exist, and is it readable? If it doesn't exist you should check the DOSBox version that you have confgured in DBGL, and allow it to create the dosbox.conf if it is indeed missing.

Reply 1630 of 1968, by Silverfish2910

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rcblanke wrote on 2020-12-30, 14:57:
Silverfish2910 wrote on 2020-12-30, 02:57:

Does anyone know why I am getting the message Couldn't open file "O:\DBGL\DOSBox-0.74-3\dosbox.conf" whenever I try and open a game or edit a profile?

DBGL requires each configured DOSBox version to be able to load its defaults from dosbox.conf. Does the file at O:\DBGL\DOSBox-0.74-3\dosbox.conf exist, and is it readable? If it doesn't exist you should check the DOSBox version that you have confgured in DBGL, and allow it to create the dosbox.conf if it is indeed missing.

Yes, "O:\DBGL\DOSBox-0.74-3\dosbox.conf" exists, but it's weird. My existing game profiles which I made with an earlier version of DBG, v0.82b I believe, no longer work because of the "couldn't open" file thing. Can't open, can't export, etc. Same error message.

When I upgraded, I just copied the new DBGL files over the old ones.

I am now on v0.93b8 and any NEW game profile I make works perfectly. I am hoping to salvage the 120+ games I already configured instead of starting over from scratch. What do I do? It looks like a database error.

Thanks.

Reply 1631 of 1968, by dossabossa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Note that http://members.quicknet.nl/blankendaalr/dbgl/ is no longer on the Internets, because the server has been shut down (during the years' turn)?

Is there a possibility to host the website elsewhere? 😀

Reply 1632 of 1968, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dossabossa wrote on 2021-01-08, 11:02:

Note that http://members.quicknet.nl/blankendaalr/dbgl/ is no longer on the Internets, because the server has been shut down (during the years' turn)?

Is there a possibility to host the website elsewhere? 😀

Perhaps something like github...

Reply 1634 of 1968, by Silverfish2910

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey, rcblanke.

I found out the problem.

I forgot to say that rather than exporting the games which would automatically upgrade, I had just simply Cut + Paste the old profile db and capture folder from my old DBGL directory to the new one.

Anyway, I found out that the DOSBOX Version I used to make the profiles was DOSBox-0.74 while I was using a new DOSBOX Version DOSBox-0.74-3.

My solution was to download a copy of DOSBox-0.74 and place in the dosbox.conf file in the folder.

That allowed me to open the files and more importantly export my entire game directory to new version directory.

I am now on DBGL v0.92 instead of the v0.93b8 and everything is working quite well.

Thanks.

Reply 1635 of 1968, by Johnnydement

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's been several years since last time I stalled dbgl, and I don't remember having any problem T_T

With current version in Windows 10, I keep getting this error when I click launch.exe: This application requires a java runtime environment 1.8.0_00 (64-bit)

When I click on OK I'm taken to https://java.com/en/download/, I've downloaded and installed 3 times already java, tried with the offline installer too, but keep getting the same error message.

How do I fix it?

Reply 1636 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Johnnydement wrote on 2021-02-20, 21:09:

With current version in Windows 10, I keep getting this error when I click launch.exe: This application requires a java runtime environment 1.8.0_00 (64-bit)
When I click on OK I'm taken to https://java.com/en/download/, I've downloaded and installed 3 times already java, tried with the offline installer too, but keep getting the same error message.

What DBGL version exactly are you trying to run; 0.83, 0.92 or one of the beta builds? In any case, you can try using this updated launch.exe to see if it resolves your issue.

Reply 1637 of 1968, by DOStopic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello to everyone!
I apologize for my incompetence: I'm using DBGL 0.93beta8 and I need to specify the CD label because the install routine of the DOS game "Noctropolis" expect this. I'm trying to modify the specific .conf file but i didn't understand where to put the "-label NOCTROP" command because i made several attempts but haven't solved yet.
Thanks in advance to anyone who will help me ...

Reply 1638 of 1968, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

IIRC:
Mount a Windows optical drive with a specific label inside DOSBox:

MOUNT D D:\ -t cdrom -label YOURLABEL

Mount a folder as a CDROM with a specific label inside DOSBox:

MOUNT D C:\YOURFOLDER -label YOURLABEL

See the wiki : https://www.dosbox.com/wiki/MOUNT