VOGONS

First post, by Riikcakirds

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

PLaying a lot of late Dos SVGA games recently and it seems most games used 8bit/256 color modes. like Heretic 2, Descent 2, quake, grand-prix 2, etc only 256 colors. Duke3d played at 1600x1200 also limited to 8bit/256 colors .

So did Dos games start using 16bit? Is there a list of dos games that support 16-Bit (HighColor) modes . Or even 15-bit 32K.
Hell do any commercial dos games even exist that use 24-bit (true colour) or 32bit color.

Reply 1 of 16, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Mostly only FMV type games I think, like Zork Nemesis and 7th Guest.
Sierra was too conservative to follow suit, Phantasmagoria 2 had 16-bit movies but rendered them using 256 colors under DOS.

It's a big jump to go from 8-bit paletted graphics to 15/16-bit hicolor without GPU acceleration unless you're just showing a static scene.

Reply 2 of 16, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Star Trek - A Final Unity was one that I seem to remember playing had several high res and high bpp display options, including, I think 15/16bpp.

Good game/story, too.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 3 of 16, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

All hardware accelerated games, including Descent 2.
Darklight Conflict
Archimedean Dynasty
Alien Trilogy

Darklight Conflict is probably the most noticeable example, with colored lightning, Gouraud shading, flashy transparent particles and explosions.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 4 of 16, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, I would say 16-bpp games for DOS = Voodoo.

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 7 of 16, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

GTA actually has a 24-bit graphics mode. Quite a bit more demanding that 8bit btw, it's also the standard color scheme under Windows I believe.

X-Men Children of the Atom I believe also had higher color depth, probably 15bit. It's a port of an arcade fighting game (most probably ported from the PS1 version) and it also used a somewhat odd screen resolution I think.

Reply 8 of 16, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Garrett W wrote on 2021-01-22, 06:03:

GTA actually has a 24-bit graphics mode. Quite a bit more demanding that 8bit btw, it's also the standard color scheme under Windows I believe.

Yeah, that's right. It's just confusingly called High Color mode (which usually refers to 16 bit)

IMG_2747.JPG
Filename
IMG_2747.JPG
File size
36.23 KiB
Views
File comment
GTA
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Here's what the readme says.

24 Bit Version -------------- If your computer starts up in the 24 bit version of the game with fuzzy looking graphics, try re-s […]
Show full quote

24 Bit Version
--------------
If your computer starts up in the 24 bit version of the game with fuzzy
looking graphics, try re-selecting the screen mode from the F11 menu. This
should cure this problem.

High colour GTA uses a built-in version of the "univbe" display driver to
provide its multitude of 15, 16 and 32-bit display modes. If your video card
is not recognised by the univbe check, or if you change your video card and
the check does not update to it, try running uvconfig.exe in the gtados
directory. If that doesn't work, try running 24-bit GTA by typing
"gta24 -nounivbe" in the gtados directory. This will cause it to skip univbe
and use your video card's native drivers instead. Alternatively, get hold of
the latest version of univbe from SciTech Software, and run it as a TSR before
running GTA.

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart
archive.org: PCMCIA software, manuals, drivers

Reply 10 of 16, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, I would say 16-bpp games for DOS = Voodoo.

No, that statement would be incorrect, because DOS had other HW accelerated games, which were not tailored for 3Dfx cards.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 11 of 16, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember that Screamer Rally allowed 16 bit colour, so I guess other Screamer games will too.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 12 of 16, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Links LS was a DOS game that supported up to 1600x1200x32bpp. Here's a few screenshots from my P200MMX system at 1024x768x32bpp with an STB Nitro3D VirgeGX 4MB PCI card.

Attachments

• linksls3.jpg
    Filename
    linksls3.jpg
    File size
    275.38 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • linksls2.jpg
    Filename
    linksls2.jpg
    File size
    269.98 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • linksls1.jpg
    Filename
    linksls1.jpg
    File size
    329.55 KiB
    Views
    File license

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 13 of 16, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've been hunting for a DOS game (also had a Windows launcher) that I bought new in 1997 that supported high color. I remember specifically buying it because it advertised 65,000 color support on the back of the box. Unfortunately, I found the RTS gameplay pretty lackluster. Anyway, after a ton of searching I finally found it. It's called Conquest Earth: First Encounter from Data Design Interactive/EIDOS. Runs perfectly fine in DOSBox, although, I did have to cycle down the CPU cycles quite a bit. The U.S. trapezoid box (not scanned @ MobyGames, but can be found on Ebay) is fairly uncommon and usually has a high asking price. Luckily, you can find the CD in just the jewel case for rather cheap.

Reply 14 of 16, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Extreme Assault is capable of using 16bpp VESA modes in addition to having a separate executable supporting 3dfx Glide.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 15 of 16, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
liqmat wrote on 2022-12-30, 02:58:

I've been hunting for a DOS game (also had a Windows launcher) that I bought new in 1997 that supported high color. I remember specifically buying it because it advertised 65,000 color support on the back of the box. Unfortunately, I found the RTS gameplay pretty lackluster. Anyway, after a ton of searching I finally found it. It's called Conquest Earth: First Encounter from Data Design Interactive/EIDOS. Runs perfectly fine in DOSBox, although, I did have to cycle down the CPU cycles quite a bit. The U.S. trapezoid box (not scanned @ MobyGames, but can be found on Ebay) is fairly uncommon and usually has a high asking price. Luckily, you can find the CD in just the jewel case for rather cheap.

Awards

Computer Gaming World
March 1998 (Issue #164) – Strategy Coaster of the Year

🤣

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 16 of 16, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
clueless1 wrote on 2023-01-01, 15:27:
Awards […]
Show full quote

Awards

Computer Gaming World
March 1998 (Issue #164) – Strategy Coaster of the Year

🤣

Ha! One of the downsides to pretty box art. It sucked me in like a moth to light. I spent good money on that game. I think I tolerated maybe an hour, tops, before I stuck the CD back in the box. That was about a year before I was on Ebay and no returns to Babbage's for open boxes. Yeah, I ate that one hard, but hey... it had 65,000 colors!!!