VOGONS

Reply 40 of 97, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

ya I do still want the ability to dual boot 98se so options are limited. 7800gs, x800 XT are the only higher end options makes me sad.

Attachments

• p4p.jpg
    Filename
    p4p.jpg
    File size
    91.66 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by Warlord on 2021-03-23, 17:08. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 41 of 97, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Warlord wrote on 2021-03-16, 16:14:
small update. That ramTurned out to be good over clockers after all and I just had PAT disabled Also I tightened the timings a […]
Show full quote

small update.
That ramTurned out to be good over clockers after all and I just had PAT disabled
Also I tightened the timings a bit to 3-3-3-7 T1 @ 533 Mhz , Its completely stable @ 2.65 V
This is about the max the board can go so I'm happy.

My sanda memory bandwidth score went up by another roughly 250 points so ya. Ita about 4800 MBs now. @ 2.4ghz.

So its beating both the reference 915 and 925x with Pentium 4 extreme editions. in memory bandwidth test.

Not to shabby.

Good work, do you run your ram divider at 1:1... so FSB 266 (1066) MHz? That is very fast, but doable. 😀
I am working on similar build - Pentium 770 + CT-479 + P4C800 Dlx. It runs perfectly at 12x225 = 2700 MHz + 4x512 MB DDR CL2.5-3-3-5. As for the GPU - I plan to use either FX 5900 (for compatibility) or X850 Pro (for performance). I have bad experience with GeForce 7 win98 drivers, so I try to avoid it.

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 42 of 97, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The 479 I used is 533 fsb. In BIOS I raised that from 133 to 200. At 200, 533mhz Ram clock becomes Available on that board. It won't go higher. The Divider is 3:4 Ram:CPU respectively. on the board currently. So the Ram is a bottleneck, So I set ram at 533 (266), lowered ram timings as much as my sticks would go and enabled PAT and its working like that. PAT is very stable with these ram modules.

The 2gb ram kit was the way to go becasue only 2 sticks doesn't stress the north bridge. They are rated at 2-3-2-5 I think. Which is decent for DDR400 1 gb sticks. 512 sticks clock better.

I have some of that Legendary Winbond BH5 that will clock 2-2-2-5 at DDR 400. But i didn't want to run 2gbs with 4 sticks becasue of north bridge strain. They also run HOT.

Loosening the timings a little let them hit 533 in dual channel to 3-3-3-7 T1 at stock voltages. The ram is extremely cool to the touch and doesn't get hot. Which is considered low latency for DDR2 533. But with DDR1.

I can probably push the CPU higher using 1x increments on the FSB but 12x multiplier is the fastest it will go on my cpu BIN. I don't think my CPU will hit 2700mhz. I might be able to get 2500.

Those CPUs are so cheap, I suppose I could buy a ton of them and bin a faster one. Not sure I care that much. Its still running very fast for a retro rig like that. I haven't pushed voltage or clocks to unstable levels so it should last a long time like that.

Last edited by Warlord on 2021-03-20, 01:26. Edited 8 times in total.

Reply 43 of 97, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Strongest card I have RN is a BFG 6800 GT OC. This is bench mark from 2001SE

This was done with Default settings. Games only.

Its beatingthe X800 XT PE on the AMD FX51 system from this page. and 6800Ultra there too.
I know that the ultra would be better but it shows the Pentium M CPU scaling pretty well. Opposed to other CPU of that ERA.

This is much faster than the Hexus.net test bench for 2004.
At this time my rig would of been the fastest computer at that time.

https://m.hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/804 … gt-gpus/?page=4

https://img.hexus.net/v2/graphics_cards/nvidi … ages/3dmark.png

Attachments

• asd.jpg
    Filename
    asd.jpg
    File size
    76.27 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • Clipboard01.jpg
    Filename
    Clipboard01.jpg
    File size
    68.47 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by Warlord on 2021-03-20, 18:16. Edited 17 times in total.

Reply 44 of 97, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here are some retro utilities. For my board with ct479. They are impossible to find anymore.

EIST--- CPU multiplier and Voltage
Tweak 865--- Ram multipliers
clockgen CG-ICS952607 v1.07.7z-----Adjust FSB

Attachments

• Filename
    eist.7z
    File size
    81.64 KiB
    Downloads
    42 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    Tw865.7z
    File size
    71.65 KiB
    Downloads
    45 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    clockgen_CG-ICS952607_v1.07.7z
    File size
    120.31 KiB
    Downloads
    44 downloads
    File license

Reply 45 of 97, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I might just keep the 6800 Since if I want a stronger rig I can use another computer. I might slap voodoo 2 sli on this rig for retro compatibility for since 6800 no fog table or paleted textures.

more to come...

Reply 46 of 97, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Playing Youtube win XP @ 720P 2GB ram no page file.

It's remarkable that it can do this.

Attachments

• Clipboard.jpg
    Filename
    Clipboard.jpg
    File size
    112.37 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 47 of 97, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

next comparison, i promise I'll get to real games soon.
Stock clocks on BFG 6800 GT OC or 370mhz
3dmark 03 1280x1024 4x AA 8XFA
compared to https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/gigabyt … -review,10.html

Pentium M wins again vs all cards. vs System below

ASUS A8V (AGP 8x enabled)
1024 MB DDR400 - Dual Channel
Radeon X800 Pro, XT, GeForce 6800 GT, Ultra
Athlon 64 3800+ ( June 1, 2004)

Attachments

• 03.jpg
    Filename
    03.jpg
    File size
    76.28 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 48 of 97, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Warlord, maybe you could contribute a Doom3 result here? Doom 3 timedemo shootout with period correct hardware.

I also had quite good success on my Pentium M playing Youtube videos. Did you try and change the Youtube codec from VP9 to x264? It helps on lower spec PCs!

Also if you get a Radeon 4XXX AGP card you can go up to 1080p without losing frames since it has better video decoding support.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 49 of 97, by nitrile

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Pentium M was such an interesting CPU at the time - the child that, even as the overachiever its parent really didn't want to love, because that wasn't the decided narrative. But eventually had to. It's no wonder Core came from that direction, rather than P4.

Netburst was interesting, even so. just not by enough, that public relations could take precedence over reality. as it were.

Very nice. they weren't common as desktops (to say the least; rare as hen's capacitors, comes to mind; ). I find it hard to remember if they were available commonly, outside of a laptop, or weird condensed density form factors - which is my angle:

A 'while' back, when taking part in developing DSP software, on a cluster - 1 banias (i think), to 10 p4's; the p4's (at about 140+ % the clock) were supposed to do the heavy lifting, with the pentium m being kind of the, controller. Eventually, 'someone' of course ran a part of the heavy dsp code on the M - which, per core beat the (more expensive, hotter, noisier; these were all kind of important factors) P4.

That was a bit of a surprise. Though it shouldn't have been. Of course, the hardware was bought by then.

thanks.

Reply 50 of 97, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vetz wrote on 2021-03-20, 20:02:

Warlord, maybe you could contribute a Doom3 result here? Doom 3 timedemo shootout with period correct hardware.

I also had quite good success on my Pentium M playing Youtube videos. Did you try and change the Youtube codec from VP9 to x264? It helps on lower spec PCs!

Also if you get a Radeon 4XXX AGP card you can go up to 1080p without losing frames since it has better video decoding support.

Found some of those brackets for the zalman. The ones to turn upside down. Now I just need to get motivated enough to install one of the 3 zalmans i got.

Shouldn't be a problem, but I am looking for a shim or something I can use for one to get even mounting pressure. Though about going to home depot and looing for a nylon washer that was round enough to go around the die and the right thinkness. But idk what else to use.

Lastly I'm not too confident in my CPU bin. I'll have to see how far I can push it with propper cooling and uping the voltage but It doesn't seem to want to push the FSB past 208 or so X12 without crashing right now.

As for DOOM 3 time demo1. At 2400mhz with stock clock on my 6800gt with 1024/768 and ultra quality settings its 94 FPS. like in that link. I'm guessing it could go higher with a higher overclock on the CPU probably not faster than a FX55 though. That puts it just a little faster than your Pentium 4 HT 1M 3.4ghz S478, ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe (stock setting)

In over clock setting as it sits right now on my open air test bench it be like #14 on the list. But I am now willing to settle for that result without a cooling mod and binned cpu. Cuz I know it will do better than that.

Overclocked It might be able to beat the FX55 at stock. thats my best guess or come very close.

Attachments

Last edited by Warlord on 2021-03-23, 16:17. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 51 of 97, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have the Zalman cooler installed without turning the brackets upside down. It sits well, just like in the photos here: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthrea … ll=1#post904604

Even though I can clock the FSB quite high (haven't found the limit, but 270 have worked), the CPU (Pentium M 780) seems to limit out on 2.8-2.9ghz. Adding more voltage doesn't help. I don't want to push it too far since the parts is getting quite old.

It runs everything I throw at it. With my Radeon HD4670 it even runs Bulletstorm in about 30 fps, so I don't really need the extra power. At the moment I'm dual booting between Voodoo 5 5500 PCI for Win98 and HD4670 in WinXP/Win 7, but I might swap out the HD4670 for an X850XT PE just to test compatibility with Win98 for a while. There isnt much info using X800's in Win98.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 52 of 97, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ya those are the brackets I found in my stash. What voltage should I try. RN my voltage is 1.31 without any voltage mod. I might voodoo 2 sli for win 98. Don't have any other voodoos, except a voodoo 3 agp

Quess I need to buy a bunch of pentium Ms for cheap to find a good one.

Reply 53 of 97, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

guess I was wrong. Pentium M can totally beat the FX55. Turned out that I wasn't using Doom 3 Ver 1.0

You get alot more FPS with that version. Now all I need to do is find a better CPU that can overclock more than 2400mhz

This is using rules of that thread 1024/768 Ultra settings

I 100% fully confident now that Pentium M can come in #1 spot on the over clocked period correct list.

Then I can show skyscrappers AMD what a real CPU looks like.

Unfortunatly the thread is rigged with a cut off date of DEC 31 2004.

And the Pentium M I'm using isn't released until 19 days later. 19 days too late to be period correct it seems. I guess 19 days =s a period.

I guess AMD wins this time on a technicality. Pretty sure the CPU was in the hands of actual people in 2004 though.

As the cpu says 2004 on it I guess thats not enough

Attachments

• s-l400.jpg
    Filename
    s-l400.jpg
    File size
    23.42 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Clipboard01.jpg
    Filename
    Clipboard01.jpg
    File size
    18.95 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 54 of 97, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Finally got motivated enough to do the zalman mod. disassembled the heatsink and modded the retention bracket. used a file to smooth the rough edges. Reheat treated them after I bent them for rigidity. added a couple washers for better mounting pressure. Then used a degital caliper to measure and mark holes for drilling. for a shim I just used the same 1mm thermal pads I used in the 6800gt rebuild. Except I left 1 side of the protective sticky on the pad so the heatsink wouldn't get stuck to the cpu. After I test it I just remove it to check to see if I'm getting proper mounting and it looks ok.
I am basically giving up on this cpu, and going to try and find another. I got it to boot at 210 fsb and running at 2500mhz. It didn't become any stable at all until I increase VCORE to 1.45v Then would finish super PI 2M until 1.5 vcore. At that doom time demo still would crash and giving it more voltage didn't seem to help it any.

So time to find another DOthan.

Attachments

Last edited by Warlord on 2021-03-22, 04:45. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 55 of 97, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

More pics

Attachments

Reply 56 of 97, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So .. Reading this thread and suddenly my eBay alert went off ..

Attachments

• CT-479.jpg
    Filename
    CT-479.jpg
    File size
    18.34 KiB
    Views
    File license

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 58 of 97, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Time to start assembly but before hand I needed to check something. Wow this looks bad. I cleaned this up and replaced the pad with some Noctua thermal paste.

Attachments

Reply 59 of 97, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My sexy case arrived awhile ago. I took apart the whole thing and gave it a bath. Motherboard is installed now the cable management nightmare begins.

Attachments