Common searches

Why DOS died...

Topic actions

First post, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can play Alleycat, Duke Nuk(u/e)m, millions of demos, tracker music, in the same time you can play DooM and Quake. There is
debate, what is the best platform. It is DOS.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 1 of 192, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Amiga was the king early 90s, the same way 3Dfx Voodoo was the king in the late 90s. They both were destroyed soon after. Pioneers are nice. But I have never played that dinasaur game, and I never will. Ok I like Tomb Rider blocky boobs.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 2 of 192, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

DOS is not dead.

That is all.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 5 of 192, by Byrd

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've not really used DOS in a main machine for twenty years - switched to Mac in the end - but I'm surprised how well DOS commands are etched in my head. It's a pretty good OS.

Reply 6 of 192, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't think Dos is dead at all. Though it was not the reason why AmigaOS died in a commercial context.

I believe there are lots of places that Dos are still in use. Mostly that would be a scenario in were you still have specific machines that require a program that only runs on Dos. I am talking about industrial use. Regarding the AmigaOS, then it is in no way as simple as "Dos killed AmigaOS". That in it self are not true, as the commercial death of AmigaOS are linked to other factors and not operating system in it self. Yes, Doom runs on Dos. However it is not the OS that prevents original doom to run on 1993 AmigaOS. In this case, it is the lack of chunky gfx in Amiga and nothing else. Yes. Even Amiga's and AmigaOS are still in use in rare cases, to drive stuff like climate controlling in more than 10 different schools, controlled by one single Amiga at the same time. C64 are another example, as you can find it in a few auto repair shops, were it is controlling the machine for balancing wheel's for cars.

These examples does not really say, that old platforms and operating systems are dead and gone. If you can find a Novell Netware 3.10 Server some were, then the boot OS are still Dos. Yet another example that Dos is not dead.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 7 of 192, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Horse and carriage is no longer the common way of transportation, but it once was the defacto standard. Same as horse and carriage wasn't supposed to be the end goal, just a stepping stone in the progress of transportation, and so were DOS and Amiga[OS]. Neither of those were the endgame, just stepping stones to the next innovation in the progress of computing. Is DOS dead? Who cares. Is Amiga dead? Who cares. Do you enjoy tinkering with DOS and/or Amiga? Great, do so and enjoy yourself. What a pointless discussion...

Reply 10 of 192, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DOS died because it's time had come.

It had a good run and served the world admirably for 2 decades, yet it's limitations eventually spelled it's doom.

So you are totally justified in having a drink to DOS, may it be remembered for bringing open computing to the masses ... and less for being the cantankerous and frustrating system it also often was.

Reply 12 of 192, by the3dfxdude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

DOS died because MS achieved dominance in the market due to the widespread PC adoption. And then they decided to kill it. MS-DOS 5 repaired the damage MS-DOS 4 was, and MS-DOS 6 was released because Windows & Windows NT as an OS was not ready by then so that became the last version. You can see in marketing of Windows 3.0 that they intended Windows to become an OS in its own right, which was from decision made by MS because OS/2 relationship broke down.

The Win9x series really was intended to kill DOS. The only reason why a true DOS kernel was available there was for compatibility reasons. But if you didn't know any better, you really were supposed to start using Windows for what DOS was used for. Some of the old features DOS shipped with was stripped out. WinME was definitely done on purpose. 😀 So it really just was a matter of time.

Last edited by the3dfxdude on 2021-04-21, 02:51. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 13 of 192, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DOS isn't dead, yes. But this statement does not really give the idea how alive it is.
I think we can use the Conservation status that is used for animals to unerstand where DOS actually is. It still can be found "in the wild" - rarely, but still used for some tasks, and kept and used by hobbyists. It can be also found in museums, which is more like being "in captivity".
So I'd give DOS the EN status. Which will change over time to CR 😀

red_list_categories_snip.jpg
Filename
red_list_categories_snip.jpg
File size
113.25 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart
archive.org: PCMCIA software, manuals, drivers

Reply 15 of 192, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
pan069 wrote on 2021-04-17, 06:43:

Horse and carriage is no longer the common way of transportation, but it once was the defacto standard. Same as horse and carriage wasn't supposed to be the end goal, just a stepping stone in the progress of transportation, and so were DOS and Amiga[OS]. Neither of those were the endgame, just stepping stones to the next innovation in the progress of computing. Is DOS dead? Who cares. Is Amiga dead? Who cares. Do you enjoy tinkering with DOS and/or Amiga? Great, do so and enjoy yourself. What a pointless discussion...

It is a bit like the Amish community are still using horse and carriage. They still use it, despite being a minority. And so, Dos are a niche.

Reply 16 of 192, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
the3dfxdude wrote on 2021-04-17, 14:53:

DOS died because MS achieved dominance in the market due to the widespread PC adoption. And then they decided to kill it. MS-DOS 5 repaired the damage MS-DOS 4 was, and MS-DOS 6 was released because Windows & Windows NT as an OS was not ready by then so that become the last version. You can see in marketing of Windows 3.0 that they intended Windows to become an OS in its own right, which was from decision made by MS because OS/2 relationship broke down.

The Win9x series really was intended to kill DOS. The only reason why a true DOS kernel was available there was for compatibility reasons. But if you didn't know any better, you really were supposed to start using Windows for what DOS was used for. Some of the old features DOS shipped with was stripped out. WinME was definitely done on purpose. 😀 So it really just was a matter of time.

No. Dos did not die. It is just a non commercial viable option, for modern computing in most places. The home as an example.

Reply 17 of 192, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
WolverineDK wrote on 2021-04-17, 12:07:

I feel this thread is one big haiku, but is it ?

I have no idea.

But maybe it is indeed a haiku.

Much HaikuOS much? 😉

Reply 18 of 192, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
badmojo wrote on 2021-04-17, 12:19:

I've run the numbers - it was ~4AM Saturday morning in Estonia when this thread was created. Prime drunk posting time 😂

Does Estonia have rot gut vodka dispensed in plastic bags?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 19 of 192, by gca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was still using DOS at work in the early 2000s. It was built into the Janus 2020 handheld bar code scanners we were using. Seemed fast and reliable enough at the time for that purpose.