VOGONS

Common searches

Leak of Windows 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 260 of 316, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-06-30, 19:41:

Cutting off even 5 years old systems sure seems to be unecological to a point that defies comprehension to me... For no good reason, to boot.

Most people will have no reason (or would even want to) upgrade to Windows 11 at launch. They don't have to do anything until those systems will be closer to 10 years when Windows 10 support stops and they will need to do something for security purposes. Even in that case, a lot of people probably just won't care about security and keep using their device.

You want to say there's an ecological crisis going on here, you're going to need more to go on.

Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-06-30, 19:47:
ZellSF wrote on 2021-06-30, 19:37:

That has nothing to do with the post you quoted.

Go reread the post you quoted that I originally posted my friend....

I've read it twice. What you wrote and what you quoted is unrelated. Unless you meant you agreed with me that the article was sensationalistic bullshit because people can just switch to Linux I guess... But people switching to Linux in any numbers is not realistic.

Reply 261 of 316, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ZellSF wrote on 2021-06-30, 19:53:
Most people will have no reason (or would even want to) upgrade to Windows 11 at launch. They don't have to do anything until t […]
Show full quote
xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-06-30, 19:41:

Cutting off even 5 years old systems sure seems to be unecological to a point that defies comprehension to me... For no good reason, to boot.

Most people will have no reason (or would even want to) upgrade to Windows 11 at launch. They don't have to do anything until those systems will be closer to 10 years when Windows 10 support stops and they will need to do something for security purposes. Even in that case, a lot of people probably just won't care about security and keep using their device.

You want to say there's an ecological crisis going on here, you're going to need more to go on.

Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-06-30, 19:47:
ZellSF wrote on 2021-06-30, 19:37:

That has nothing to do with the post you quoted.

Go reread the post you quoted that I originally posted my friend....

I've read it twice. What you wrote and what you quoted is unrelated. Unless you meant you agreed with me that the article was sensationalistic bullshit because people can just switch to Linux I guess... But people switching to Linux in any numbers is not realistic.

I'v e posted absolutely nothing about anyone switching over to linux. Just my experience.

Now you are making things up to try and justify your point of view 🤣

I think that was called a strewman argument back in the the olden days using irc channels and usenet posts. BTW both of those are still alive and will even though they a ancient tech

Hell I can even interact on them with my 1990s Zenith 286LP Plus today.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 262 of 316, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm still unsure of the actual.update support for 10. I've seen 2023, 2025 and 2029. As we've seen with previous version of Windows when the newer version is released the older version get less updates and the updates provided have been tested less. Hopefully the huge amount of systems that remain on 10 mean this will not be the case.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 263 of 316, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

e-waste is good. It produces no CO2 at all. Consumption is good. It produces no CO2 at all.
What's that global warming ? Recycling in IT is bullshit ? nahh, that's communism.

Oh and all the technical reasons used so far by MS are very changing and unjustified bullshit.

Yeah people 10 years from now will quit services such as steam and other online services on their usnsupported device to avoid the risk of their security being compromised, or use linux. SURE....

Reply 264 of 316, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

First it was the Big Freeze, then Global Warming and then Climate Change. They really can't make up there minds...😉

I'll put my tin foil hat on and suggest that the the Windows 11 push is to try an make as many computers obsolete as possible to get folk to recycle them because of the current chip crisis.

I absolutely love conspiracy theories..😉

Last edited by Caluser2000 on 2021-06-30, 20:57. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 265 of 316, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DosFreak wrote on 2021-06-30, 20:11:

I'm still unsure of the actual.update support for 10. I've seen 2023, 2025 and 2029. As we've seen with previous version of Windows when the newer version is released the older version get less updates and the updates provided have been tested less. Hopefully the huge amount of systems that remain on 10 mean this will not be the case.

At the very least, it should keep on getting the security updates of the server edition. Windows Server at this point is not moving to the Win11 kernel.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 266 of 316, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Caluser2000: Still no clue why you quoted me and I don't really care. Feel free to send a private message if you do.

xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-06-30, 20:40:

Yeah people 10 years from now will quit services such as steam and other online services on their usnsupported device to avoid the risk of their security being compromised, or use linux. SURE....

10 years from now most laptops than can run Windows 10 will be replaced anyway. The system requirements of Windows 11 is a miniscule ecology crisis compared to the planned obsolescence of laptop manufacturers and the user demand for new hardware (not software), which again is dwarfed by mobile.

DosFreak wrote on 2021-06-30, 20:11:

I'm still unsure of the actual.update support for 10. I've seen 2023, 2025 and 2029.

I think Wikipedia is reliable enough for this: it's 2025. 2029 is the LTSC non-consumer version of Windows. Not the Enterprise version, which surprisingly has the same EOL as the Home/Pro versions this time around. With Windows 7 they differed and I never understood why.

Reply 267 of 316, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ZellSF wrote on 2021-06-30, 21:08:

That's ok. I forgive you. And so does The Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Reply 268 of 316, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-06-30, 21:13:
ZellSF wrote on 2021-06-30, 21:08:

That's ok. I forgive you. And so does The Flying Spaghetti Monster.

ALF does as well.

Attachments

• 20210701_092736.jpg
    Filename
    20210701_092736.jpg
    File size
    680.69 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 269 of 316, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

At least some of the TPM 1.2 chips can be upgraded to 2.0. It is a simple firmware update for at least Dell laptops. Most likely desktops as well.

I don't see why regular desktop boards couldn't have the same fix.

If I remember correctly, you can also get TPM chip add-on cards.

Well, not seeing any PCIe cards, but there are TPM modules for a bunch of different boards and systems available. People are already trying to scalp them on eBay... Uggghhh.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 271 of 316, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wish their app would be more specific about what prevents an update.. .

ZellSF wrote:

10 years from now most laptops than can run Windows 10 will be replaced anyway. The system requirements of Windows 11 is a miniscule ecology crisis compared to the planned obsolescence of laptop manufacturers and the user demand for new hardware (not software), which again is dwarfed by mobile.

In the situation we are in, saying that others are doing worse than us therefore we don't have to do any effort is not responsible.

Besides, MS' requirements and justifications are still nonsensical.

Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-06-30, 21:56:
xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-06-30, 19:43:

I'll use the latest Kubuntu LTS (or KDE Neon), indeed. Can't live without systemd, Plasma, Wayland, and PulseAudio.

You poor thing. I guess It's better for noobs than Arch is...😉

Nah, I just like my Linux when it's modern, thank you very much.

Reply 272 of 316, by James T Quirk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, Ebay scalping of TPM cards has started, I have a Board using TPM2.0 a Gigabyte 570UD, a month ago less than $20 for a TPM, now ebayers are looking at $180, this is why Ubuntu is my daily drive, but have a install of Win 10 for a game or 2, so thinking its just another Microsoft attempt to make USERS pay, for their stupidity, hide the damage done by "solar winds" attack, by adding in a 3rd Party security device, for the security that windows cannot provide ...

Reply 274 of 316, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-07-01, 07:49:

Windows is way more secure than you might think...

Why does it need all this hardware security crap play tell?

My P200mmx with linux on is most likely more secure than Windows 10.

Reply 276 of 316, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
zyzzle wrote on 2021-07-01, 09:30:

Someone please tell me why this TPM 2.0 -- or even 1.2 is so damned important? Why is this ridiculous level of abstraction required to run an operating system? It's pretty absurd.

I agree. And if that abstraction layer has interweb access well kiss security goodbye.

Reply 278 of 316, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-07-01, 10:58:

The intel management chip covers that already, with or without the OS' approval.

Do you realize what you just did then?