VOGONS

First post, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'd really want to know.

I felt like looking into sapucdex code, so I took it as it comes with vdmsound install pack, right ?
The reason for retrieving it being that it seems to be Vista-incompliant. It has stopped working presumably because of ioctl structure usage, yet unlike dosbox there's no switching it to behave itself.

Its author cannot be reached anyhow.
So I start editing sapucdex.c & compiling the dll to see what happens, but whatever I do to it my new sapucdex.dll flops, I always go on figuring it's my fault until I'm fed up and want to try compiling the original code and it's broken too! 😵
Time to stop and go searching around and do I find this

VDMSound 2.1.0 PUBLIC BETA

saying VDMSound 2.1 has been released... SAPUCDEX now works. What !!?
Fantastic !
That's v. 1.0.0.5.
Too bad Vdmosund 2.1.0 installs sapucdex 1.0.0.5 exe and dll, BUT then delivers the 1.0.0.3 source (check sapucdex.rc).

And wasn't this 1.0.0.3 still buggy a release :
see
Sauro Puccini releases MSCDEX replacement for WinNT/2k/XP
on page 5, 2003-6-15 @ 06:01 pm :
...basically there was a problem in the code that caused CD audio to not work in XP. Heh
Fine.

So in the end

has anyone a clue just where the "final" working 1.0.0.5 source wound up ? Or is it impenetrably lost beyond all reach ?

Reply 2 of 5, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well I can't, in fact.
And apparently noone I've been asking to can either.

I'd have been all the happier had I been able to ask him directly.
I just can't get in touch with him.
Can anyone ?

Reply 3 of 5, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have you tried contacting Vlad? (Developer of VDMSound). I'm sure he had to contact the developer of Sapucdex to include it with VDMSound.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 5, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, I already did.

There's also an email address of him (SaPu's) hanging around, but no, didn't reply.
Oddly, didn't bounce back either.
Just fell flat.

Still I'd hoped I might luckily correspond with him in my/our mother tongue without needing to painstakingly translate each comma in English... 😅 but no avail 😢

Reply 5 of 5, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

O Sapucdex, my Sapucdex, where thou art, nobody knoweth nor substantially careth anymore :

I turned to wd for help and now Ye olde mystery of thee has been vanquished.

In fact I explained him the various sapucdex.c versions' mess that I was facing between 1.0.0.3 vs. 1.0.0.5 releases and the depressing outcome of my desultory attempts to work my way through.

Well, before I could add : Give me floccinaucinihilipilification or give me death !
he had already disassemblied things and divined before me what bug was there in the code that caused it to fail and
rewritten me a revamped version that I subsequently could compile and show to perfectly match the expected functionality of it (please note : in WinXP).

I'm expressing myself in a light-hearted mood, but folks I'm really impressed.
Kudos to wd for his skilfulness and warp+ speed helpfulness.
It's awkward to say it, but when you must you must
(I also understand he doesn't need my superlatives in the least, but I'm afraid he'll have to cope with them and accept 😜 ).

Now everyone has a working source among all the asm and C project files that can be downloaded together with VDMSound.

SaPu himself being ostensibly unreachable, I'd like to invite those involved in handling the latest VDMSound distribution to allow for the use of this substantial improvement in the source repository.
As I repeat, the 1.0.0.5 binaries thereof (exe and dll) were already sounding fine, it's the source that was broken/not up to date.

At this point in cosmic evolution, I'll try to retrace my way building on wd's new sapucdex.c as opposed to what I had before, in the hope of generating a Vista compliant refurbishment of this piece of software, if I ever can.
So far no good. But that's a different subject.

EDIT 2008-12-19:

finally found somehow a way to circumvent ioctl limitations dooming Sapucdex under Vista (thx wd for your help)
as this really is a general Vista subject, I guess I'll be going into it in the pc section/dgVoodoo pertaining thread.