Possible fix for Mobil 1 Rally Championship a.k.a. Rally Championship 2000 !!!

Getting old Windows games working.

Possible fix for Mobil 1 Rally Championship a.k.a. Rally Championship 2000 !!!

Postby Procyon » 2011-4-09 @ 13:09

Hello all,

I think I finally cracked it, on how to play one of my favorite rally games again, so I want to share it with you. :happy:
This was the problem I was having with the game:

When driving a rally stage after a while the sounds became out of synch with the actual gameplay, this happened randomly, but could be triggered by crashing your car. This rendered the game to be unplayable for me. :dead:

For years and years I searched the internet for a solution for this problem, but I haven't found any that worked, so eventually I gave up, :depressed:

that is..... until now !!!

I got the idea for this fix trying to solve a framerate problem for another game, but that is not important right now. The thing is that this game was designed back in the day when there were no multicore CPU's and this game makes heavy use of just one CPU, when running it is constantly at 100%. I think that when there is a spike in CPU usage Windows will force it to another CPU for processing and the end result is that the sound will become out of synch. So the obvious solution would be to make the game use only one CPU and that's what this solution is all about!

Here is what I have done:
    - Start the game.

- Press Alt + Tab. (task swithing)

- Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete. (brings up the Task Manager)

- Left click on the Processes tab. (I'm not exactly sure how it is called in English Windows, my OS is in another language)

- Search for the process called: RAL.EXE and right click on it.

- A pop up menu will appear, left click on configure affinity. (I'm not exactly sure how it is called in English Windows, my OS is in another language)

- Now a window will appear in which all available CPU's are shown. Windows selects all CPU's by default, but we don't want that. Now uncheck all CPU's until only one CPU is left checked and press OK, it doens't matter much which one as long as only one CPU is checked.

- Activate the game again by left clicking on its name in the task bar.

- Play. :happy:

This has solved the out of synch sound for me so far on Windows XP, but this might also work on Vista and 7. A minor thing is that you have to repeat this every time you want to play the game, there are ways to automate this but I haven't found one yet that was less of a hassle than repeating the process.

Cheers, :wink:
Procyon

Re: Possible fix for Mobil 1 Rally Championship a.k.a. Rally Championship 2000 !!!

Postby ripsaw8080 » 2011-4-09 @ 13:33

Alt+Tab and using the Task Manager while games are running can be problematic, particularly with older games: crashes, messed up desktop, etc. You can permanently set the default processor affinity on PE executables by modifying their headers; which usually works unless they have self-check mechanisms that include the header. A search for "imagecfg" should find plenty of resources explaining the process.
ripsaw8080
DOSBox Author

Re: Possible fix for Mobil 1 Rally Championship a.k.a. Rally Championship 2000 !!!

Postby Procyon » 2011-4-09 @ 21:08

Thanks ripsaw, I will look into imagecfg later. :wink:

Right now to something else, one problem solved only for another to arise, the dreaded.... Guru Meditation crash, also discussed earlier on this forum in this topic:

http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?t=18094

But I think I cracked that one too, and be solved by placing the line agpmode=2 in the ral.cfg file. At least after I did this I couldn't reproduce the crashes on my system anymore, whereas the game would always crash without this line.
Procyon

Postby filipetolhuizen » 2011-4-22 @ 19:04

You can use Microsoft ACT 5.x and make a custom fix for the game with the flag "SingleProcAffinity" (don't forget "EmulateHeap" as well). That's how I got it working properly.
But I think I cracked that one too, and be solved by placing the line agpmode=2 in the ral.cfg file.

Where do I find this file? Do I have to create it? I only found the ral.dat and ral.zog.
Edit: Ok, I found an editor with tons of extra options and this fix works out of the box. Not only it increases the maximum framerate but also clears up the guru meditation.
filipetolhuizen
Oldbie

Postby Procyon » 2011-4-24 @ 11:12

Thanks for the tip, I never really got around with ACT, but if it works it works. :happy:
Imagecfg works great for me though, even on Vista 64 bit. :cool:

Link to Imagecfg Wikipage, has also download link

By the way the ral.cfg file is only used after the game is patched and can be used to make custom alterations to the game.

Link to latest patch

There was a website which explained all the variables that could be put into the the ral.cfg file, but I can't find it anymore or the site is down. :neutral:

There is also a tool to configure ral.cfg called Ralwiz, but it only works on XP for me.
Procyon

Postby Sipso » 2011-6-04 @ 19:57

Hi.

I just installed the game. Works perfectly. But, when i finish the first stage/os, the very first race in first championship, game shows score and times tables, and then damage test table. You know pass, failed. There i press Enter, to proceed. But, next shown table says, that i retired, and game throws me into next competition (not next stage!)... What am i supposed to do?
Sipso

Postby Procyon » 2011-6-06 @ 10:07

Hi Sipso,

If your car doesn't pass it means it is trashed, the rally officials will not allow you to race the next stage for safety reasons. When you are in the service area screen you can see the condition of all your carcomponents and repair and adjust your car. The game will look specifically to the condition of brakes, steering, suspension, lights and tires but not to the condition of the engine and drivetrain.

The only way around this is to drive more careful. To make it easier you can set the line sensiblesaving=1 in the ral.cfg file to enable save between every stage instead of saving in service areas only but for this you have to patch the game to the latest version. Of course you can also set the damage modifier to zero but then there wont be much challenge left. xD
Procyon

Postby Sipso » 2011-6-06 @ 12:58

Yeah, i solved it out already... I always crossed the finish line with damaged cooler...

But now... How do i save game? I enabled sensible save. While in menu between stages i enter Save, and select the slot, name it and press enter... Nothing happens. Slot name is changing, but there is no save game on it. When i am trying to load it nothing happens...

My game version is 5.30.0 (04.08.2000)...
Sipso

Postby Procyon » 2011-6-06 @ 13:34

I don't have a clue, the procedure you described should work. I don't have any problems saving the game. What Windows version are you running?
Procyon

Return to Windows