VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok I admit, it's raining nonstop here and I was bored 😜.
So I took a pic of some heatsinks to show the evolution of HSF sizes as they went from Socket 3 all the way to Socket 462 while remaining compatibility with a CPU socket of the same size

original PB link that is broken as of 2017
DSC00700.jpg

DSC00700a.jpg
Filename
DSC00700a.jpg
File size
319.3 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

edited and included the original pic due to Photobucket giving us the middle finger 🤣

Last edited by Tetrium on 2017-08-23, 17:34. Edited 1 time in total.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 1 of 33, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That second-largest one, regardless of how cool it looks, is just begging to intersect with an unused power cord. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 2 of 33, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Lol 😜

It's a Copper lite 3 actually, and I can tell you it's performance and sound levels are very favorable 😀
Regarding unused cables, it's true! 😜

Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 33, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Qbix wrote:

You were hungry ?

Lol 😜
That box happened to be there, I was taking the pic in a hurry.

Btw, regarding tie ribs, I use this. It's absolutely ideal for working with computers! 100 meters, cheap, it works and the metal thingy is used to snip off bits of your desired length 😁

Report spammers here!

Reply 5 of 33, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote:
Lol :P That box happened to be there, I was taking the pic in a hurry. […]
Show full quote
Qbix wrote:

You were hungry ?

Lol 😜

Btw, regarding tie ribs, I use this. It's absolutely ideal for working with computers! 100 meters, cheap, it works and the metal thingy is used to snip off bits of your desired length 😁

Is that weed trimmer filament? It seems that would melt under high temps as it not meant to get hot.

Reply 6 of 33, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Don't have a GlobalWin FOP-38? That was notorious for being one of the noisiest HSF's of the P3/Athlon era...

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 7 of 33, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:
Tetrium wrote:
Lol :P That box happened to be there, I was taking the pic in a hurry. […]
Show full quote
Qbix wrote:

You were hungry ?

Lol 😜

Is that weed trimmer filament? It seems that would melt under high temps as it not meant to get hot.

Could be, but tie ribs aren't supposed to get hot in the first place.
I'll see how the stuff holds out on that customized 6800 AGP I build earlier. Apparently it reaches 65c. But thanks for the warning, I'll keep an eye on things 😉

DonutKing wrote:

Don't have a GlobalWin FOP-38? That was notorious for being one of the noisiest HSF's of the P3/Athlon era...

Lol, don't think so. I always go for the quieter stuff. A freind of mine bought a dragon orb once, that very high towering model with 2 colors. Talk about loud 🤣!

These aren't all coolers btw, I got several boxes full of them, mostly Pentium coolers from back when I was dumpsterdiving a lot.

Report spammers here!

Reply 9 of 33, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sgt76 wrote:

That is quite a nice collection! Some of the bigger ones look like real tab breakers!

Cheers 🤣. It wasn't actually meant for showing off but more with the intent to show how heatsinks developed over time. The first row is Socket 3, second Socket 7, 3rd Socket 370 and the last is Socket 462.
Heatsinks became more complex and beefier as time progressed, you can scale the heatsinks by seeing how they compare to the wood planks they lie on 😉

These aren't the worst ones. The worst ones are the ones with only a single tab. Btw, these coolers (the biggest ones) aren't that heavy actually 😉

Report spammers here!

Reply 11 of 33, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:

Would a Socket 370/462 heatsink work on Socket 7? Would the clips line up or would it have to be stuck on somehow?

The clips will line up, but I found there will usually be some caps and such in the way.
Socket 3, 5, 7, 370 and 462 all have the same dimensions, if you hadn't noticed ;D
Second problem, specific to Socket 3, is the mounting clips will often be missing

Report spammers here!

Reply 12 of 33, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote:
The clips will line up, but I found there will usually be some caps and such in the way. Socket 3, 5, 7, 370 and 462 all have th […]
Show full quote
sliderider wrote:

Would a Socket 370/462 heatsink work on Socket 7? Would the clips line up or would it have to be stuck on somehow?

The clips will line up, but I found there will usually be some caps and such in the way.
Socket 3, 5, 7, 370 and 462 all have the same dimensions, if you hadn't noticed ;D
Second problem, specific to Socket 3, is the mounting clips will often be missing

Do you think hacking out a notch to go around any obstacles would adversely affect the heat transfer by very much? A Socket 370 or 462 CPU is probably going to put out a lot more heat than most of the chips at the lower end of the Socket 7 spectrum anyway so losing a few cm2 probably won't matter much, right?

Reply 13 of 33, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:

Do you think hacking out a notch to go around any obstacles would adversely affect the heat transfer by very much? A Socket 370 or 462 CPU is probably going to put out a lot more heat than most of the chips at the lower end of the Socket 7 spectrum anyway so losing a few cm2 probably won't matter much, right?

Yup. But I find it easiest to mount a cooler to a Socket 3 socket with a wire clip

Edit:Nope, it won't affect heat transfer by a lot, depending on where and how much you hack out.
And yup, it won't matter much 😉

Report spammers here!

Reply 15 of 33, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ncmark wrote:

I see you have that arctic silent 3 in there 😎

Yup 😀
Got the one I picced, one more with a broken fan (but the heatsink is still good...was only €0.50) and one running a Barton 3200+, working great 😀

Report spammers here!

Reply 16 of 33, by srmeister

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tetrium wrote:

Yup. But I find it easiest to mount a cooler to a Socket 3 socket with a wire clip

Hi Tetrium,

Can't find any cheap/used coolers on ebay for a Socket 3.

can you go into a little detail on how to mount a cooler onto a Socket 3? What exactly is a wire clip?
Is there any sort of easy-to-get solution, like a Socket A/462 cooler that fits on a Socket 3?

Reply 17 of 33, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
srmeister wrote:
Hi Tetrium, […]
Show full quote
Tetrium wrote:

Hi Tetrium,

Can't find any cheap/used coolers on ebay for a Socket 3.

can you go into a little detail on how to mount a cooler onto a Socket 3? What exactly is a wire clip?
Is there any sort of easy-to-get solution, like a Socket A/462 cooler that fits on a Socket 3?

Valid necro 😉

Maybe I didn't mention it in this thread but the most common way to mount a CPU HSF during those sA/s370/s7 etc days was to put the CPU in the socket, put heatsink on top and use the clamps to attach the heatsink to the socket tabs (I didn't mention all stept, trying to keep it a bit simple here).

The problem with Socket 3 is that not all Socket 3 sockets actually came with these socket tabs so a heatsink with a clamp has nowhere to put it's clamp onto. In this case the only option would be to either glue the HSF directly to the CPU (this was pretty common in those days btw) or to have a specially made CPU HSF that can be mounted directly onto the CPU itself, but these will only fit CPUs of an exact size, there were these specific HSFs for both Pentium 1 and 486, but these were not exchangeable with eachother due to Pentium's larger CPU size, even though Socket 3 and Socket 7 actually have the same dimensions

The wire is something I came up with when I had this problem (I didn't have those specific 486 HSFs and the couple I did have were either broken or were very loud/fan needed replacement) but I did have these z-wires which I salvaged from Pentium boards and were used instead of the standard clamp to put ontop of the HSF and clamp both sides of the socket to 1 of the outmost socket tabs.

The only thing is that these were from OEM machines and they aren't exactly standard ...thingies. Don't even know what those are called, so I just called them z-wires (made from a kind of stiff iron wire) because of their shape.

The good news is that if your socket has these tabs, you could make your own z-wires. Only thinhg you'd need is a metal wire that's stiff enough that it will keep it's shape and a way to reshape them (I'd think heat them up so you can change the shape, let them cool down so they keep that shape).

edit:
Found a pic here
It's the second one from the bottom right
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-DNrAZukUtQ … ure%2520077.jpg

edit2:
The pic I found in google actually came from an older Vogons thread 😁
My 486 system with SCSI & VGA VLB
Looks like the pic I posted is gone though, should probably still have it but the other pic features the same thing so no biggy 😀

Report spammers here!

Reply 18 of 33, by srmeister

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tetrium wrote:

The good news is that if your socket has these tabs, you could make your own z-wires. Only thinhg you'd need is a metal wire that's stiff enough that it will keep it's shape and a way to reshape them (I'd think heat them up so you can change the shape, let them cool down so they keep that shape).

great explanation!!! a thousand thanks!! My Socket3 hast these tabs and i think im gonna make a Z-Clamp for it!

Reply 19 of 33, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
srmeister wrote:

Going to reply to this separately (I'm eating my dinner now so my replies are a bit mungled up or something 🤣)

The thing is that (there were reasons but I'm not gonna explain here as it's not really relevant here) Socket 3, Socket 5, Socket 7, Socket 370 and Socket A actually have the same dimensions. This means that in theory all the CPU coolers that use clamps to attach to the tabs of the CPU socket are compatible with each other. This goes of course offer some very interesting perspectives!

However, theres always some problem down the road and a couple CPU sockets actually had different kinds of problems.

Socket 3s biggest problem is that many simply did not have the socket tabs to attach the CPU HSF clamp onto.
Socket 5/Socket 7 kinda always has these clamps, but many boards had all kinds of components like resistors and caps very close to the CPU socket so a big-ass Athlon XP (Socket A) HSF could be mounted to those Socket 7 sockets, but the heatsink would simply be blocked by those components.

Socket 370 (basically Pentium 3) has yet another problem...and it's called Tualatin (or actually integrated heat spreader).
Socket 370 (or just s370 for short) usually has plenty clearance around the CPU socket to a big-ass Athlon XP HSF could be mounted, but the extra height of the Tualatins meant the heatsink sat on top of the taller CPU, so the heatsink clamp would need to attach to socket tabs further away (the increased height means increased distance here) and put so much stress on those little plastic socket tabs that these would often break, usually already while mounting or when simply moving the rig around. It might happen spontaneously.

For all the above mentioned problems we came up with all kinds of solutions. For Socket 3 these z-wires or z-clips (no official name etc) were ideal provided the socket actually came with these tabs.
The best thing about this z-wire is that this way it's not hard to attach a much beefier heatsink to the 486 CPU (think passive cooling/overclocking) 😀

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask 😀

edit:
Apparently only the thumbnail was down, the pic was still there but photobucket is kinda aweful now so re-uploading my own pic here 😜

Attachments

• Metalcpuclip.png
    Filename
    Metalcpuclip.png
    File size
    1.36 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by Tetrium on 2016-02-02, 18:54. Edited 1 time in total.

Report spammers here!