VOGONS

First post, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So this is my first vintage PC build. It's my take on the all-in-one DOS and W9x gaming machine... Here are the components with some comments to them:

Mainboard: Asus CUBX-E 1.01
>>Really nice BX board, pretty much a P3B-F with Socket 370 (with CPUs easier to find for it), the Promise UDMA 100 controller (which I don't use) and more USB ports.

CPU: Intel Pentium III 900
>>Has enough power to run all relevant W9x games and most DOS games for which it's too fast won't likely run correctly on high-end PIIs and lower-end PIIIs anyway

RAM: 512 MB Infineon PC133 SDRAM
>>Just so much that it works on Win98SE without further configuration, but more than enough for every application and should reduce swap file usage as well, so that the CF card doesn't get worn out too much.

Flash drive: 16 GB Transcend 133x CF w/ IDE adapter
>>First reason why I wrote semi-modern in the title. The 21,5MB/s speed doesn't affect things a lot and I don't have to worry about an old hard drive failing. Windows 98 SE is installed on it.

Video card: 3dfx Voodoo 3 3500 TV
>>Got this one really cheap, so I'm using it instead of a regular 3000. Glide is all-important for such a machine and this card does it well. Most DOS games worked on it so far as well

Sound card #1: Creative Labs AWE64 Value CT4520
>>I started to dislike this card after realizing that it's not the best choice for Build games and some other DOS games w/ W9x, and the EMU8K is mediocre at best, but it has a lot going for it nevertheless. It's a really quiet card, especially compared to the earlier Sound Blasters, and it's much easier to configure than other solutions as well. CQM is still better than DOSBox emulation.

Sound card #2: Genius YMF719E-S
>>Real, or at least better-than-CQM OPL3, and DB header. Really noisy by default, unfortunately.

Network card: Intel Pro 1000 GT
>>Works flawlessly.

Optical drive: NEC ND-4551A DVD burner
>>Had this laying around from another PC. Has the important CD Audio connector.

3.5" Floppy drive: Generic modern one
>>Gotta have a floppy drive in such a machine of course.

Case: new Sharkoon one, can't remember the name
>>Prefered a new case for this build, so I got the cheapest modern one I found. Does the trick, although I needed an ATX extension cable because the PSU sits at the bottom, so it's not the best choice

Monitor: Eizo FlexScan L365 15" 1024x768 TFT
>>I like CRTs a lot actually, but currently don't really have the space for one, so I went for an older TFT for this build. Great image and response times.

Rate/comment 😀

Last edited by d1stortion on 2014-05-26, 02:13. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 2 of 17, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have something very, very similar to this - same motherboard, 650 MHz processor (actually an 866 made to run on 133 bus), Voodoo 3000 instead of 3500, AWE64 gold instead of Value, and dual 40-gigabyte drives. This actually the computer I use the most 😁

Reply 3 of 17, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I changed out some of the components listed here and keep them as spares 😉 this is what I currently use as my main "retro" (I hate that term...) machine. Maybe I'll add the YMF again when I decide to play a game that requires good FM synthesis 😀 the card I have is a bitch to fit in the ISA slot though, requires a lot of pressure for some reason.

Also funny that you use a 133 MHz FSB CPU. When I bought this board it had a 800/133 in there. I don't get the point. Tried running it at 133 then but the results were not so pleasing... 😀

Last edited by d1stortion on 2013-05-25, 14:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 17, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The 866/133 was what had laying around... and after trying it I decided 650 was good enough. And one lesson I have learned the hard way.... once you get something working leave it alone. I have had many mishaps removing CPU coolers.

That really is an awesome board.... quite possibly the best board for socket 370 chips. I have used board with the apollo pro chipset and in spite of the 133 bus I think BX is better.

Reply 5 of 17, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's why I call mine Time-Machine 😀

BX440 is such a great chipset. I wouldn't worry about OPL3 at all. All the late DOS games support Sound Blaster 16 and General MIDI. So an AWE64 and an external Sound Canvas is the way to go IMO.

Have you tried any SVGA DOS games? How does it handle them?

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 6 of 17, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I suppose your term fits my machine as well then 😀 although I like the feel of beige cases etc. I wanted something easy to build and to work with for starters and that's why I went with these components.

A lot of DOS games work great on this computer, namely those that are not speed sensitive (and even work on P4 3 GHz etc.). Unfortunately there is a nasty horizontal tearing problem with certain DOS games, sometimes it's also briefly seen on the POST screen etc. I made a thread about it here thinking that it's game specific, but it's not. I think it's because of the monitor. An old TFT really isn't optimal for DOS, even though this one has the perfect 4:3 ratio...

As for OPL3 I think a real one is still best. The early Creative clones are good too. There are games where it sounds really awesome, like in Heretic. Adds a really creepy vibe to that game. But yeah in most games I feel that they haven't bothered getting the most out of it. Don't care for FM synthesis if it just has that tinny feel to it. I got GM covered with a XR385 and SC-88. I'm not very interested in pre-1992 DOS games, so I don't feel the need to buy a MT-32. Wolfenstein 3D is the about the oldest game I played as a kid (in 1998).

ncmark wrote:

That really is an awesome board.... quite possibly the best board for socket 370 chips. I have used board with the apollo pro chipset and in spite of the 133 bus I think BX is better.

I dig it too. I can really see why they called it Flagship back in the day. I actually have a GA-6VXE7+ laying around and it has those damn teal caps. Of course some of them have gone bad.

To clarify what I meant by saying that 133 MHz didn't work for me, here: download.php?id=11278 😉 I'm fairly sure that it was just due to the 3dfx card though.

Reply 7 of 17, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
d1stortion wrote:

To clarify what I meant by saying that 133 MHz didn't work for me, here: download.php?id=11278 😉 I'm fairly sure that it was just due to the 3dfx card though.

loool! You sure you didn't flash your BIOS with the Welsh language version? 🤣

Rave and Exit!! 🤣

Reply 10 of 17, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
d1stortion wrote:

Also funny that you use a 133 MHz FSB CPU. When I bought this board it had a 800/133 in there. I don't get the point. Tried running it at 133 then but the results were not so pleasing

'

This is where I wish the Intel chips weren't locked. If that 866 chip wasn't locked I could probably set it at 850 or at least 800. I understand why they do it, but I still don't like it.

Reply 13 of 17, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I completely disabled it. Never had a crash related to lack of RAM, of course I don't do heavy multitasking on such a machine. The one and only game that just refuses to run like that is Quake 2.

Reply 15 of 17, by m1so

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The machines from this period are really nostalgic for me. The moment we swapped our 386 for a Celeron 633 Mhz with a RIVA TNT2 (the real one, not the budget "Vanta" or "M64" ones) 32 MB card I will forever remember. I'm envious cause I don't have any retro machines on hand correctly. Anyways wish you luck on playing everything you want on it.

Reply 16 of 17, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks. I've mainly played Glide stuff on mine so far and that really works great without much fiddling around. I don't think our PC at that time had any 3D acceleration, that way I got to play DOS games instead of something like Unreal. From that standpoint I would not call 3dfx cards overrated at all as you hear it sometimes. Perhaps you should build such a PC yourself someday... better invest in something like this than in current games that are DRM and DLC-riddled anyway.

Reply 17 of 17, by Xolares

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have

2x Intel Pentium III 800MHZ 256KB L2 100FSB
ASUS Duel slot 1 Intel Chipset 440i
2x 16GB CF (Flash Memory) IDE Adaptor 90mb/s @ UDMA 2
Sony 16x DVD-ROM IDE
4x 128MB PC133 Kingston
Nvidia Geforce 4 TI 4200 64MB AGP2x + 2x PCI Voodoo 2 12MB SLI
Soundblaster 16 ISA + Yamaha Midi OPL3+
Windows 98SE Custom patches + Windows 2000 SP4R2
Windows 98SE can see 137GB+ with the patches

2nd Rig
AMD AthlonXP Barton 3200+
Nvidia Nforce Chipset DDR
3DFX Voodoo 5 5500 64MB AGP
1024MB DDR400 XMS Corsair
2x 32GB CF Flash memory IDE 90mb/s ATA133
Soundblaster Live! 5.1 EMU SB16 DOS
Windows 98SE

and i change the parts around when testing to find the best setup and compatibility all round and Using Omega Drivers from Nvidia, ATI, 3DFX

2x P3 800MHZ - 1GB PC133 - 3DFX Voodoo 5 5500 64MB - Soundblaster AWE32 28MB 32Pin ISA & Music Quest ISA MIDI I/O + Roland SC-88 Pro - 2x IDE to CF 16GB Flash HDDs-Win98SE SP3 137GB+-Windows 2000 SP4R2-17" CRT NEC MultiSync 1600x1200