VOGONS

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

I just recently found VDMSound, and I must say that it's an amazing peice of work and I really love it. One thing I've kind of wondered though. Is there ANY way that it could be possible for adlib commands to be converted to GM commands and just use the plain midi mapper? It's always driven me absolutely insane that I have such great MIDI hardware and yet some really old games will still use the absolute worst part of that hardware (well, ok, in this case that's software rather than hardware, but you get the idea...) I would just KILL to get the higher quality sound that my normal MIDI can do rather than having to listen to stupid little adlib bleeps -- especially since I have a SBlive and can have a lot of fun playing around with soundfonts. I know it seems a little crazy at first, but, if you think about it, there are more benefits than games just simply sounding better. It would also require less CPU power to convert the commands (assuming that adlib uses different commands that is...) than it takes to emulate an adlib.

Please don't dismiss the idea as crazy out of hand, if there is ANY reasonable way that it could be done I'd just kill to do it. I still have some old games that use adlib for music, and it just drives me crazy since I'm so spoiled by my soundfonts. I can't even hardly play those games (music off is even worse for me.) I know I'm spoiled and shouldn't let such things bother me, but I can't help it, and I'm not going to change it because MIDI can be so enjoyable sometimes.

Oh, and I would like for something like VDMSound to be able to do it, but if there were anything else that could as well I'd really like to know.

[img="http://www.mindspring.com/~jmsloan/nazo.gif"]Nazo[/img]

Last edited by Unregistered on 2002-09-12, 08:21. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 10, by Unregistered

User metadata

Oh, and in case anyone at all has any doubt as to why this is actually a worthwhile thing to do, try listening and comparing these two recordings. The first is adlib type MIDI (I had to use virtualpc since I couldn't get the waveout to record at a decent rate, so, sorry, but the sound breaks up/etc, but you can still hear it well enough to tell the what it would normally sound like on an Adlib.) Besides, it's good music (-:

http://www.mindspring.com/~jmsloan/Adlib-LunarWind.mp3 - This is the adlib recording.
http://www.mindspring.com/~jmsloan/SBLive-LunarWind.mp3 - This is what that MIDI normally sounds like on my PC when using the normal synthesis and a soundfont or two.
http://www.mindspring.com/~jmsloan/Lunarwind.mid - the original MIDI used.

[img="http://www.mindspring.com/~jmsloan/nazo.gif"]Nazo[/img]

Reply 2 of 10, by Harekiet

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Hehe but the virtual pc adlib emulation is horrible, you can't compare that to a real adlib producing 16 bit 44khz sound.

For the rest you can't convert adlib instruments to midi instruments since programs can change them themselves, it's not a fixed set of instruments. You might be able to make custom mappings for certain games but that would require a lot of fiddling around to find the correct instruments. But most games using a standard set of adlib instruments have midi support too.

In most games that have specially written adlib music it sounds great though. A lot of the sound effects in games are also done by the adlib, those normally sound crap when you select a midi device. Just setup the vdmsound adlib emulation at 44khz and hear some sweet adlib music.

Reply 3 of 10, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

First, don't use VPC with WaveOut/WaveIn recording. Just use VDMSound and go in VDMS.INI (or LaunchPad's manual configuration if using LaunchPad) and add the DiskWriter code to dump everything to wave file. See the thread on this forum about DiskWriter for details.

As for your AdLib/GM question no, it isn't possible because FM is a totally different synthesis method from wavetable. In other words you can do with FM some wonderful things that you can't do with GM. MT-32 is somewhere in the middle (i.e. can be mapped to GM in some cases, but when games use the "synthesis" features of the MT-32 you're done for). I posted a rather lengthy explanation (was it on SourceForge's forum/Support Request/Feature Request lists, or was it Bravenet? I think I alos mentioned something about it in the FAQ).

V.

Reply 4 of 10, by Unregistered

User metadata

Well, I was aware of the wave output options, but, at the time, it wasn't emulating fast enough and there was just no way that I could repair the output and because there were just a number of other things that weren't entirely set up right at the time. I only did that to give people a basic example in a hurry. At this point I now have emulation working pretty perfectly in most things, so could probably redo that, but I guess there's no point.

I must admit that I'm pretty dissapointed. I really hoped that there was some way that it could be done since I hate adlib sounds so much even in vdmsound and because soundfonts just make everything so much nicer. (I do love how VDMSound gives me DOS games with soundfonts, since DOS games don't usually use windows drivers, you couldn't normally have soundfonts when using Win9X.)

Thanks anyway though.

[img="http://www.mindspring.com/~jmsloan/nazo.gif"]Nazl[/img]

Reply 5 of 10, by Unregistered

User metadata

Well, it's time you started to (try to) love FM and analogue synthesis in general. 😀 Can do stuff with FM that, as I said, you have no way of doing with sample-based techniques. Analogue is an art in itself. Take some movies that use analogue synthesis soundtracks (e.g. Apocalypse Now, The Shining, Clockwork Orange) and think how shitty they would sound with "real" instruments. Same goes for some games.

V.

Reply 7 of 10, by jez

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I agree with the general flurry of responses - Adlib ROCKS, and that's why I want VDMsound ported to Win98, so I can listen to it in my old DOS games coz it's rarely supported in sound cards these days 😀

== Jez ==