VOGONS

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

I've noticed that EMU401 emulation defaults to using IRQ2 which seems to be the most popularly used interrupt for GM when an interrupt is actually used. However, when I played some games that used the mouse and they were set to use IRQ2 for the music, the mouse couldn't move or anything. I haven't had the chance to test it with a lot of games since, A. I don't have many that actually use an IRQ for the music, and B. I don't actually have that many DOS games still on this PC since I had given up on quite a few of them since I'm using Windows XP.

Anyway, I just wondered if this is the kind of problem that the only way to fix is to use another IRQ. In the GUI you can only select 2 and 9 and none of the games I tried were capable of going past IRQ 7. I haven't been able to try much else just yet. First, is it possible to just manually enter any number, second, can it be the same as the digital audio IRQ, and third, is the mouse problem due to some NT thing that can't be fixed, or is it something that I can fix (maybe just a matter of adjusting something in device manager?), because I would really prefer to let things use the defaults as they generally yield the best results.

Reply 1 of 17, by Unregistered

User metadata

Yes you can enter any number but I wouldn't recommend it. Go for "9" if in doubt and if you don't want to use "2".

I don't see why IRQ2 would interfere with the mouse. Does disabling MPU emulation (or switching to a bogus IRQ) fix the mouse? What game is the one that exhibits this problem?

V.

Reply 2 of 17, by Harekiet

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Hmm well that whole IRQ 2 has always been strange, since irq 2 doesn't exist in modern machines anymore. The irq is connected to the slave interrupt controller allowing for IRQ 8-15 on AT machines. Don't know how windows handles the mouse but i'd think it would use IRQ 12 or something maybe to signal mouse movement to it's driver. If some program would then screw the master interrupt controller to no longer support IRQ 8-15 through IRQ 2 the mouse would stop functioning.

Reply 3 of 17, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

...but nobody (i.e. not VDMSound) screws with the master PIC. All that VDMSound does is *maybe* trigger IRQ2 (if the MPU has incoming data). So in the worst case the mouse driver (or, more precisely, the "default" IRQ2 handler that dispatches IRQs 8-15 if I'm not mistaken) would wake up on IRQ2, check the slave PIC and see there's nothing there, right? In any case, I've never had this problem with games (I know some Lucas games, i.e. Indy4, would have problems with the mouse not moving under certain situations, but it was more related to memory than anything else IIRC).

V.

Reply 4 of 17, by Unregistered

User metadata

Well, at the time, several did it. Now it seems to just be limited to Xanth, but I had removed a few games yesterday and put on others, so I've probably just lost them in the confusion. When I changed the IRQ to anything besides 2 it worked fine. Of course, VDMSound doesn't work entirely right with Xanth according to the compatibility lists and the fact that even after changing the IRQ numbers (in the drivers as well as the game) I got no MIDI output. Then again, the setup program in the game wouldn't go past IRQ7 like so many others out there, though I manually set it to 9, I'm not entirely sure if the game would just ignore that or if it actually could use it when manually specified and the VDMSound drivers appear to only support 2 and 9 as I mentioned before, so, for all I know the problems have been fixed in recent versions and it's just not able to handle the IRQ thing.

I'll try messing with some more of my games to try to figure out exactly what it occurs in, but, the fact is that I just don't have that many games that actually USE the GM IRQ rather than just using the same one as the DSP if any at all.

Oh, and my mouse is a USB mouse and my BIOS is set to enable it's support of USB mice (and keyboards, but I haven't gotten one YET) and it seems to make things that don't support USB use it as a PS/2 mouse, so I get my mouse working even in DOS though it's USB.

The USB contollers are both on IRQ4 according to windows.

Reply 5 of 17, by Unregistered

User metadata

Ok, I have a couple more tests to add. I tried the Gateworld games (1 and 2.) Of course, Adlib works without issue, but when I try MT32 emulation, it doesn't work. Possibly this game is one of those that use some of the more advanced things that VDMSound can't emulate, but if so, then that wouldn't explain what happened with GW2. In GW2, if I tried IRQ2, I got no music and no mouse. If I tried IRQ 9 the keyboard and mouse both wouldn't work and I still got no sound. When I tried IRQ 7 the game ran fine, and the keyboard and mouse worked, but, still no music. I tried both with SB emulation on and off, but with MIDI emulation on in each test.

When I tried GW1, when I tried IRQs 2 & 7 it told me that it couldn't find the MT32 hardware (yes, I set up the drivers properly) and when I tried IRQ9 it appeared to have completly locked up. The LED didn't blink, so I doubt it was sending sysex data or anything like that either. I waited a pretty good while on the thing, but, eventually had to give up.

(These games can be found on the-underdogs website if anyone wants to test VDMSound with them themselves.)

EDIT: Oh, and I'm sorry, I forgot I should have followed those posting guidelines. Perhaps some of the info will help:

-CPU: AMD Athlon 1.4GHz (TB, not XP)
-Motherboard: MSI K7T133, which seems to actually be pretty darned good.
-Sound card: Actually, two. Yamaha YXG744 (give or take a few 10s) and a Sound Blaster Live! I set the default device for digital audio to the Yamaha since SBLive's digital audio sucks (no, let's not get into a battle over this please,) and I set the MIDI to the SBLive for the soundfonts.
Memory: I installed XP when I had 256, now I have 512. I know that Win9x never properly took advantage of more memory when you upgraded, but perhaps XP doesn't have that problem. I can't really be sure since I had enough ram to get the same basic performance before, so it's not like upgrading from, say, 64 to 256.
-Video card: Gainward Ultra/650XP Golden Sample (a Geforce 4 Ti-4200 with 128MB of ram, vivo, and DVI)
-Video mode: actually, it didn't occur to me at the time that it could be an issue. I told the games to use SVGA rather than VGA, and things seemed fine. As soon as I get a chance, I'll try them in VGA and see if it affects things.
-Operating system: Windows XP Proffessional (corporate version.)
-Reproduction of the problem: it happens every time I've tried it, which is quite a few.

Last edited by Unregistered on 2002-09-12, 22:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 17, by Unregistered

User metadata

I think Xanth works fine now (with VDMSound 2.0.4)
The trouble with Legend games is that they use the "Intelligent" mode of the MPU-401 for MT-32 music. I couldn't find a single shred of documentation about the intelligent mode (i.e. I have the list of commands, but I have no idea about the behaviour and replies behind them). I tried to rev-eng one of the Legend games to see if I can trick it into detecting MT-32 intelligen mode (although it's not implemented), but it's not too obvious. I'll try again tonight (if I don't forget), I really wanted to hear it (BTW, you can rip all MIDI files from Legen Games and listen to them in WIndows, though I'm not sure if they are GM or MT-32; I got used to them as GM and now they sound weird if I send them to the MT-32 from Media Player, so it would be interesting to see if the game converts them from GM to MT-32 or if it keeps them "as-is").

Oh, yeah, most Legend games also give you an "alternate" mouse mode (xmouse) -- try that as well, see if it makes a difference. I have no idea what's going on behind the scenes with xmouse, though. Disable MIDI emulation altogether for Legend games that give MT-32 emulation error (e..g the Gateways, Timequest, Eric the Unready, *maybe* Superhero League of Hoboken as well, and the Spellcastings) for the moment being. For Deathgate and *I think* Superhero League of Hoboken choose GM for MIDI (it works fine there).

V.

Reply 7 of 17, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As usual: did you check with Google?
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22Intelligent … ilter=0&num=100
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22Intelligent … ilter=0&num=100
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%22Intellig … m=100&scoring=d
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%22Intellig … um=100&filter=0

What are you looking for exactly?

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 8 of 17, by Unregistered

User metadata

How does one extract those songs?

And, yes, I've tried XMouse. The only difference I ever saw was that (at the times that the mouse worked either with or without it) was that the xmouse driver caused the cursor to jump around like insane and made it much harder to click on certain buttons. (Not a slowdown type jump, but more like half the resolution or something.)

Reply 9 of 17, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stiletto wrote:

As usual: did you check with Google?

Numerous times. 😀

Anyway, I half-guessed around some stuff and Legend games now start OK with the MT-32 (it is detected and even the SysEx's get uploaded -- but there is no music, probably something to do with MPU timers that I don't emulate yet [properly], we shall see).

V.

Reply 10 of 17, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Gateway works fine for me (the mouse is OK with MIDI enabled on IRQ2 and no command-line switches other than "MT32"). Timequest and Spellcasting 101 have "frozen" cursors though. Weird...
V.

Reply 11 of 17, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK, I released an update for the MPU module (see "XP & IT & MIDI" or thread) that will make Legend games half-detect the emulation. Turns out (1) Windows' emulation of IRQ2 is crap (or I don't know how to program ISRs, one or the other -- I never get IRQ2 from the VDD, and neither does the game, but the mouse seems to get stuck), and (2) Windows' default handler for IRQ5, 7, etc. does not have an EOI in it so switching to an IRQ other than 2 will result in the first detection round working OK and all subsequent detection rounds failing (because the PIC is stuck waiting for EOI [[EDIT: and the game's ISR chains to the old, default ISR which doesn't perform the EOI]]). I developed a patch for (2) that works on at least two of the games with problems (Spell Casting 101 and Gateway 1), and the sysex's get uploaded properly to my MT-32 (I even read "Legend Entertainment" and "GATEWAY" on the display), but there is no music data coming through. I'm afraid it may be a lost cause. 🙁

V.

Reply 13 of 17, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Unregistered wrote:

How does one extract those songs?

No idea.

And, yes, I've tried XMouse. The only difference I ever saw was that (at the times that the mouse worked either with or without it) was that the xmouse driver caused the cursor to jump around like insane and made it much harder to click on certain buttons. (Not a slowdown type jump, but more like half the resolution or something.)

Reminds me of the Xmouse utility included with the original Windows PowerToys (which included TweakUI).
It was supposed to "make the focus follow the mouse without clicking, a la X-Windows".

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 16 of 17, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

RIPMID by Julien Pierre works very well (worked with Legend games). See attachment.

Attachments

• Filename
    ripmid.zip
    File size
    10.31 KiB
    Downloads
    245 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 17 of 17, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

Try Game Audio Player[/url]

Only problem is that .MID files (IIRC) are about the only audio format that GAP doesn't support. If there's any digital audio (of just about any format) however, it will find that.

Updated v1.32 is available at the "official" Russian site:
http://bim.km.ru/gap/

Note: GAP seems great for just about all of the 32Bit games, but seems to have a harder time with the really old ones
IE: Couldn't find anything in Blood, but found tons of stuff in Blood2 (Including _LOTS_ of audio I NEVER heard during the game and I'm rather curious as to what was going on...).