VOGONS

First post, by Newbie

User metadata

I'm trying to run the Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes 1 using VDMSound, but there is no mouse support (sound is fine). Also, when I use the arrow keys, they sometimes work and sometimes don't. And the cursor always goes left no matter which arrow key I press.

Any ideas on how to fix the mouse issues?

Thanks

Reply 1 of 12, by Jiri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Run install.exe and try to disable sound for digital device (change sound devices - digital device - no sound). You can also run the game in DOSBox - mouse + both musical device and digital device should work fine there.

Reply 4 of 12, by Newbie

User metadata

That did work (disabled sound), but what's the point of disabling sound? I mean, that whole point of VDMSound is for sound support right? Heh. It is Case of the Serrated Scalpel.

How would I disable ems memory? Which file do I modify? I'm using WinXP. I've tried to go to the properties of game.exe, go to the MEMORY tab and set 'Expaned (EMS) Memory' to none, but that didn't work

DosBox doesn't work for me (in full screen) as my monitor does not support it.

Thanks

Reply 8 of 12, by Jiri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Music works and there are not many sound effects in the game, so disabled sound is no disaster here. You could also play in window if full screen doesn't work or ask Inferno (there is a setup for this game promised on her web.)
http://home.earthlink.net/~infernofilecabinet … sinProgress.htm

Reply 10 of 12, by rgriff

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried running the game with VDMSound, but there was no mouse control even though it was enabled as an input device (hand icon could be moved by keyboard, otherwise it just kinda floated around the screen). The game also ran VERY slowly. I then tried DOSBox...and it works perfectly...mouse, digital sound and music, proper speed. I'd go with the DOSBox in this case.