Common searches

TRx Texture Feedback

Topic actions

Reply 120 of 193, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sorry can't do that. Not only do you need to play through the level, you must actually every texture you wish to replace. Glidos has no access to the level information; it just sees the glide commands that render scenes.

Reply 121 of 193, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@Guest, the capturing is a little frustrating I agree but it's the only way. I already have the first four levels captured if that would help -- though the lettering is incomplete --some of that has to be done manually.

Reply 123 of 193, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Gambit - I will try to split it off into a new thread. Wish me luck, so I do not screw up too badly.

Edit: Seems like I managed to do it without loosing anything.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 124 of 193, by Jedi Ninja

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Some screens of TR2 Lara in TR1. Glidos names the folders diffrently and puts diffrent textures together in a folder when I change the model so I have to go through and replace each texture with Gambits textures 1 at a time. I'm waiting to see how nice the retexture on Lara turns out before I do that. 😁

Attachments

• Filename
    waterfall.jpg
    File size
    130.99 KiB
    Downloads
    370 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    caves.jpg
    File size
    132.11 KiB
    Downloads
    387 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    cutscene.jpg
    File size
    138.21 KiB
    Downloads
    413 downloads
    File license

Reply 125 of 193, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Funny thing to have TR2's Lara without her ponytail, but... Man, look at that treasure chest! WOOHOOOOOO! 😳 😁

How did you achieve this, Jedi Ninja? Did you import the original level in TRe3D and just replaced Lara's TR1 mesh with TR2 one? I've already tried to run custom levels for TR1 with Glidos and it works neat, I suppose it works the same with edited levels of the original game. Any chance we could give them a try? I love that look of hers.

Reply 126 of 193, by Guest

User metadata

I exported the meshes from TR2 using TRViewer and imported them into the TR1 levels I ripped to my hard drive. Any Lara model up to TR3 would work after that they started using skin so you end up with missing parts where the joints should be. I would love to make the modified level files available to everone but I'm pretty sure I legally can't 😢 It's very hard to make the custom textures work on the modified levels so I would much rather have the textures anyway since thats where you're looking most of the time (I hope 😁 )

Anyway I made a couple more screens with a custom Lara combining parts from two diffrent models so she could stay warm. I only did the meshes for standard and pistol animation causing a glitch for some reason where she kneels down, falls to the right and slides forward a few feet evertime you roll.

Attachments

• Filename
    keepingwarm.jpg
    File size
    105.97 KiB
    Downloads
    359 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    strangeglitch.jpg
    File size
    109.97 KiB
    Downloads
    373 downloads
    File license

Reply 127 of 193, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's so cool! I had no idea you could "retro-fit" TR1 -- I would have thought there would be problems putting higher poly meshes into an older engine. Smart stuff.

I don't think the textures I've made for the TR1 lara would be useful for the TR2 Lara though -- too many differences. But you're welcome to see what you can do once I release a complete level with all her stuff in. Won't be for a while yet though.

Reply 128 of 193, by Guest

User metadata

Gambit37 , excellent work on the texture project , but I see in your example screen shots you have a new floor texture ( 'sample_caves_09.jpg') that is not ( yet? ) a part of the hi-res text pak release . Is this something we can look forward to seeing any time in the near future ?

Also I read through the thread on the new texture folder management system and am not exactly sure how to impliment it . What needs to be put in to the texture folder ( some kind of text doc ) to be able to use one's own file setup?

thanks for your time and the good work so far

😁

Reply 129 of 193, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, thanks for the comments.

Yes, the caves textures have been updated and will be released in a new pack simultaneously with the City of Vilcabamba pack -- some time away though!

The other thread should detail all you need for making the folder structure work with Glidos 1.32. I don't really have the time at the moment to explain it any further -- rest assured though that it works fantastically! 😀

Reply 130 of 193, by Guest

User metadata

One very strange thing that Core did was to have different sized textures for the same area that gets swapped when you're carrying and/or firing a weapon. It makes sense for things like eyes and mouth, but ears??!! Even the redundant side of the backpack changes textures when you've got the shotgun -- doesn't seem to be a good reason for it!

They had some problems with 'seams' in the character mesh , In fact the backpack was only added to hide one of the major problem areas in (near) the middle of the back , doesn't make it any less irritating but I thought you might find it interesting .

Reply 131 of 193, by coffee

User metadata

Your work is very nice. I've seen some screenshoots at Xtras site, but you have to keep in mind that people who used to love playing Tomb Raider Original like things the way they used to be. Consider Glidos. Glidos is the best way to run Tomb Raider Original because it only gives you best resolution. It is as if your were playing the game with better glasses. I suggest you to see your work this way. Look at her face in Tomb Raider Original. Try to think of here with the eye of the author. He could have given her a sillouette much more curvilinear but he had to stop because of hardware limitations at the time the game was launched. Every image aspects of the game should be well thought if touched in any way. As another example, consider an old bridge with a floor made by pieces of wood some of them broken or becoming very old and weaken, even the position of each piece of wood should be keept as before. The wood itself could became more textured, with more details. It would give the player the feeling of having something really special but that he couldn't explain exactly why at first glance.

I found your work really great but I'm really worried about it because I haven't seen frequent upgrades at Xtras site and I believe that you can have quite an interesting result, that could even lead to a new reborn of Tomb Raider Original.

coffee.

Reply 132 of 193, by Guest

User metadata
coffee wrote:

Every image aspects of the game should be well thought if touched in any way

No that's the problem. Every image is lovingly prepared, and then revisited again and again, and even then Matthew isn't satisfied with his work.

I found your work really great but I'm really worried about it because I haven't seen frequent upgrades at Xtras site

And that's the result of this perfectionism. Rarely does Matthew share his latest work with us because he's never quite satisfied with it. I know you mean well, but saying Its not quite perfect and can you release more is actually unhelpful.

I haven't seen a single thing from the two modders, we have now, that wasn't just amazing.

Reply 133 of 193, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Most recent Guest, is that you Glidos? Whoever you are, wow, thank you very much for the praise!

You raise an interesting point though: reworking stuff again and again is actually not a good way of going about this in terms of quick turnaroud. Although this is really something I'm doing for fun, I'd like to get stuff out there quicker for the fans, but finding time is very hard.

maybe it would be better to do quicker textures, make packs, get feedback and then update them based on the feedback?

@Coffee: Thanks for your comments. I take all feedback seriously and found your points interesting. However, I'm not sure I completely agree with the idea that all textures shouild basically remain the same -- if that's the case, there's not a lot of point designing new ones as the higher res wouldn't make much difference -- the game would still look the same.

My approach has been thus: Improve the visual look of the game by increasing the resolution of the textures while remaining faithful to the original presentation of the game. However, I have also allowed myself a certain amount of artistic interpretation and freedom in making the textures 'my own' and I also wanted to use authentic sources to closely match the sources Core used and also be as accurate to the scenario as possible. And finally, I wanted to keep the texture colouring slightly 'super-real' to retain the slightly cartoon quality of the original.

I think I've managed to achieve that in what I've done so far.

Reply 134 of 193, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes 'twas me. Love to see some more of your latest stuff released, especially when you have versions of most textures for a level, just some of them not being quite to your satifisfactions. Ideal for the fans would be if, when you get to that stage, you move on to another level... but as you say, you do it for fun, so you should do it how you like to.

I still haven't released v1.32 of Glidos. Must do that, so at least nothing my end stalls a release of your textures.

Reply 135 of 193, by Salk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Both Glidos&Gambit: thank you very much for what you are doing for the Glide fans community. I love Glidos (which I am gonna register soon, once I get my PC working again - I am now writing from my fiancee's laptop) and I love Gambit's project. His art and talent are undeniable and I sincerely hope to see him go through all the levels of the game enhancing them the way he can marvellously do. You have not much time, Gambit. But I know you have great passion. Please share with us your latest artwork. Let us admire your work in progress. Communicate with us and let yourself have our feedback. I am sure it would be really helpful for you also to speed up the development of your great project! Do not ever give up! We are all on your side to support you! Thanks again!

Reply 136 of 193, by Guest

User metadata

Your approach is perfect imo Gambit, just enough change to make it interesting but close enough to the original that it still feels like Tomb Raider. When you release is up to you but it would be nice to see a post on your site about any progress a little more often 😀. Btw is John Capon still working on textures? I havn't heard anything about him since his release.

Glidos I saw an interesting thread on a N64 emu plugin, was wondering if Glidos could do something using that technique. http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?t=27112 … highlight=orkin

Reply 137 of 193, by JC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi! John here. I am still around but have been working on other stuff. I have almost finished my take on Tomb of Qualopec - just a few details that I need to tidy up.... I'll find some time to do that soon.