VOGONS

Common searches

Lara home-3

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 69, by Guest

User metadata

Ahh I get it now. I wish that EIDOS would allow the earlier games to be free-source now. TR1 doesn't work on many newer computers (except with much, much, patching) so it's pointless to still be putting a hold on a game thats almost 10 years old.

Oh well...I just think it'd rock to put Lara's TR4 mesh in there, but I guess we can't legally make a remake of the game.

Reply 22 of 69, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

TR1 works on most computers, unchanged, although you might need VDMSound to get audio working. There was a period when many XP graphics drivers had broken VESA support, but that's no longer the case.

Reply 23 of 69, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It'll be interesting to see what LongHorn does with NTVDM compatibility, from what I've seen so far it's about the same but we won't really know until it's released. Still that's about a year away at least....hopefully by that time DosBox can run TR1....of course then we won't have the texture packs.....

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 24 of 69, by slube

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Importing the levels from TR1 into TRLE is not trivial; you actually need a third-party editor called TRE3D for that.

That makes sense. Also, what's nice about improving the textures via Glidos is that you are working with a game that is already functional - it can be played from beginning to end, and you are just improving it. The movies are already there, and I don't know if you can make your own - that's the main reason I haven't looked too much into playing the the user levels - I want something that makes it personal, not just a level generator (though I'm sure many of the levels are great).

Reply 25 of 69, by Jedi Ninja

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Would it be legal if I were to replace Lara's model from TR Gold with the one from TR2 or maybe 3. I should be able to pretty easily and it would still require the TR1 cd so it wouldn't have the same issue as a TR4 conversion.

If I did this does anyone know of a good host for TR things and will the texture artists use the modified version?

Reply 26 of 69, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think Gulikoza or someone was experimenting with building Glide emulation into DOSBox, so even if NTVDM become a no longer valid option others will step up to take its place.

Reply 27 of 69, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jedi Ninja wrote:

Would it be legal if I were to replace Lara's model from TR Gold with the one from TR2 or maybe 3. I should be able to pretty easily and it would still require the TR1 cd so it wouldn't have the same issue as a TR4 conversion.

Well, it's definitely legal if you keep the levels for your own use, but I take it that's not what you had in mind 😀

How do you intend to import Lara's mesh from TR2/3 into TR1 and make everyone benefit from it without having to distribute the modified levels? A patch of some sort could work, but I don't know how you could do that. The alternative would be to write a step-by-step tutorial on how to use strpix or whatever -- the downside being that some people will probably have difficulties at understanding the whole procedure.

Reply 29 of 69, by PaulD

User metadata

Antonijadis
trying to reconstruct your level for my *.phd files as described here
Glidos 1.31/132 TR1 capturing problems

I revised all your textures (excelent work!!!) and found little mistake.

start point>fireplace>ember has old texure
to fix this it is enough to rename

8300657313CCCC448CE15676F4D01954\(161--192)(192--208).png to (160--192)(192--208).png

to correctly complete my reconstruction can you share two files?
8300657313CCCC448CE15676F4D01954\Complete.bmp
BE6CD750CE286114EABFA0EBB4F4F94F\Complete.bmp

Reply 31 of 69, by Antonijadis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No problem, but what complete? Did you mean the old one? For what you need it?
Also, the harp is retextured. If you miss that texture, I can post it. I will do other texture in couple of day. Thanks for help with fire place, but there are same problem with another texture (top texture on the supporter of the poker).

Reply 32 of 69, by Antonijadis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OK. Here are files you looking for, and corrected texture. Also, I put here some texture that have little mistake in the my first work (Platform 2 and 3 in gymnastic room)
Hope you have some benefit of them.
Thanks for you suggestions.

Attachments

• Filename
    lara.zip
    File size
    313.87 KiB
    Downloads
    352 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 34 of 69, by Antonijadis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The anonymous was me, but I forget to log in! Sorry.
Ok, here are the textures for the level "St Francis' Folly". I'm not made the textures for the crocodile and gorilla, but I hope that they will be done soon. I assumed that some texture should be redesigned, so please wrote your opinions.

Reply 35 of 69, by Antonijadis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

first!

Attachments

• Filename
    1.zip
    File size
    2.66 MiB
    Downloads
    344 downloads
    File comment
    Updated to remove Thumbs.db shit [Snover]
    File license

Reply 36 of 69, by Antonijadis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

second!

Attachments

• Filename
    2.zip
    File size
    2.92 MiB
    Downloads
    336 downloads
    File comment
    File license

Reply 37 of 69, by Antonijadis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

third! 😉

Attachments

• Filename
    3.zip
    File size
    2.78 MiB
    Downloads
    337 downloads
    File comment
    File license

Reply 38 of 69, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A little tip: You're saving some hidden files into your zips without realising it -- this has added 2.5MB across the above 3 files. Please remove the THUMBS.DB files from all the folders before uploading, it'll give us smaller files to download (these files are the thumbnail caches created by Windows Explorer in thumbnail view).

Reply 39 of 69, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had a quick look at these last night. I think it's a good interpretation of the Folly! I love the little touches like the part-open doors at the level start.

My main criticism would be "inconsistency". Some of the textures match the originals closely in terms of grain, dirt and overall 'feel'. But others look obviously Photoshop filtered and much too clean. Try introducing some more dirt and texture into these ones (for example, the grey columns in the first room and the blue/grey door with the lions head in the middle) -- I think this will make them look a lot more realistic.

Good job, keep it up! 😀