Rank

I want to rebuild the PII build to powerful PII build

This is the component:
- ASUS P2B-F
- Pentium II 350 MHz
- Wanted to using 512MB RAM
- Wanted to using NVIDIA RIVA TNT AGP
- Wanted to using 3dfx Voodoo2, SLI optional
- Wanted to using AWE64 or SBLive!. Actually I have Yamaha XG 743B but driver trouble in Windows 98
- NIC Card
- Wanted to using USB card
- Wanted to using IDE 133 RAID Card

The case?
We'll I have the two selected case for it.
The first is a beige mid tower standard which is previous PII build
Another one is ALR Optima MT case which s very bulky and large. It support two 80mm fan on rear and one 80mm fan on front (with tool-less)
Picture coming soon! It's too dark for photo

What your opinion about this?

Sorry for bad English

Reply 2 of 23, by northernosprey02

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I only having this, because I found them when I going tidying my home. My PII processor only two unit, Klamath 233 and Deschutes 350.

Reply 3 of 23, by northernosprey02

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh yeah, I want go to computer store or thrift store to finding old component is useful, but I am lazy and don't know where is it.

Reply 5 of 23, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you're going to limit yourself to 450mhz, I'd find a Celeron 300A and overclock it. They usually do 450 easily and the cache runs at the same speed as the CPU. It only runs at half speed in the Pentium II, so you get a faster system with the slower Celeron.

Reply 7 of 23, by Filosofia

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

About the CPU, why not stay with the 350? It's a nice 100MHz FSB piece and it depends on what you want to do with the PC. But if the objective is to go POWERFULL PII, then get a nice sloted PIII 600MHz or higher, depending on what your motherboard supports. It is exactly the same chip as PII, just changed name. Easy, cheap and efficient upgrade 😉 and would go quite wel with that Voodoo2.
Good luck 😀

Reply 8 of 23, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Back in the day I had a P2 300 and a Voodoo 2 and it handled every game that was available. But having said that, I "checked out" of the IT scene for a few years after that so I don't know what was the next big thing...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 9 of 23, by northernosprey02

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Now, I using the bulky ALR Optima MT case. It was to be modded because it was rusted. I want to using 3x silent 80mm fan on this case. I just disassemble the case, but partially. Because I using sculpting tools and it's broken after I using them.

Now I have the heavy and old Tiger 200W ATX PSU, actually it has Panaflo fan but I take them to use for my current PC. And I wanted to replacing them with silent 80mm fan.

But I am lazy to buy them

Reply 11 of 23, by Hatta

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Filosofia wrote:

But if the objective is to go POWERFULL PII, then get a nice sloted PIII 600MHz or higher, depending on what your motherboard supports. It is exactly the same chip as PII, just changed name.

No, it's not. Deschutes PIIs and Katmai PIIIs are the same process size, but the PIIIs have more execution units and support SSE. Very similar chips, but not identical.

Reply 12 of 23, by Filosofia

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Hatta wrote:
Filosofia wrote:

But if the objective is to go POWERFULL PII, then get a nice sloted PIII 600MHz or higher, depending on what your motherboard supports. It is exactly the same chip as PII, just changed name.

No, it's not. Deschutes PIIs and Katmai PIIIs are the same process size, but the PIIIs have more execution units and support SSE. Very similar chips, but not identical.

Yes that's right, not the same chip of course but gaming performance wise should not be very different clock to clock: Katmai is a Deschutes with more instructions , but still 0.25 process, 100MHz FSB . 2.0Vcore and 512k L2 cache at half speed... It should be interesting to benchmark Katmai vs Deschutes at 450MHz to see if those new instructions realy matter in 3D games. Hey I've been wrong before 😉

BGWG as in Boogie Woogie.

Reply 13 of 23, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
northernosprey02 wrote:

Oh yeah, I want go to computer store or thrift store to finding old component is useful, but I am lazy and don't know where is it.

what country do you live in?

Reply 14 of 23, by northernosprey02

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cdoublejj wrote:
northernosprey02 wrote:

what country do you live in?

I am live in Indonesia

Reply 15 of 23, by Hatta

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Filosofia wrote:

It should be interesting to benchmark Katmai vs Deschutes at 450MHz to see if those new instructions realy matter in 3D games. Hey I've been wrong before 😉

According to this vintage Microprocessor Report(PDF, p2) the Winbench 99 for the PIII is 1.74x what it is for the PII. Of course synthetic benchmarks are no replacement for tests in real games. I wonder what would be the right benchmark, Quake 3?

I have a PII 266 that really wants a CPU upgrade, and an intellistation I can pull a PIII 450 from. so I might have both parts in the future. If I do, I'll do some testing, sounds like fun.

Reply 16 of 23, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Have a look at my post with the following specifications:

Pentium II 400MHz SL2S7 - unlocked CPU.
512MB PC-100 SDRAM
Creative 3D Blaster Riva TNT2 32MB AGP
Creative 3D Blaster Voodoo2 x2 12MB SLI
Creative Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 Platinum
Creative Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold with 8MB Memory Module
MusicQuest PC MIDI Card - connected to CM-500
120GB Maxtor HDD
1.44MB FDD
TEAC CD56E 6X CD-ROM Drive
Lite-ON DVD+RW RAM Drive
MS-DOS 6.22 in own partition
Windows 95 OSR2 in own partition

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 17 of 23, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are a few games with SSE support but you'll never notice it. PIII 450 and PII 450 are indistinguishable outside of synthetic benchmark scores. PIII SSE is not very fast because they didn't really adequately overhaul the core for it. P4 is a different story with SIMD performance.

Though, back in the day, people (like myself) bought SL35D because it would go to 600 MHz and that does indeed make a difference.

Katmai also has that easily accessible CPU serial number that was not such a great publicity move 🤣

Reply 18 of 23, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's pretty ironical that MMX brings considerable improvements to HL and Unreal/UT and the "specifically for 3D" SSE not that much, although I certainly would be interested in a PII 450/PIII 450 comparison. I also think some PS/N64 emulators are SSE optimized, so the differences there could be bigger than in games.

Reply 19 of 23, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I remember a long time ago seeing an article, I think on Tom's Hardware, which considered whether SSE and 3DNow would make 3D accelerator cards obsolete.
Back in the day I got hold of an updated version of MASM just so I could try writing 3DNow code for my (then-new) K6-3, which they labeled as "K3D" instructions. I never actually got around to doing anything with them though. I guess those instructions probably don't even work anymore.

Hatta wrote:

Deschutes PIIs and Katmai PIIIs are the same process size, but the PIIIs have more execution units and support SSE.

I've always heard that the only difference is SSE, and that their execution architecture is otherwise the same and thus perform identically in non-SSE code. However, most people said the same of the Pentium MMX, and in that case I know there actually were other improvements.
Does the Katmai actually have more execution units? If so, it should perform at least a bit better than Deschutes in non-SSE apps. I've never explored this much, I didn't have either of those processors at the time. I have some Deschutes and Katmai nowadays but none at the same clock speeds.