VOGONS

My K6-II machine

Topic actions

First post, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have built this machine for my DOS + win9x gaming needs (most recent game I will ever run on it will be UNREAL 1 , and I found K6-II cpu's to be very tolerant in old dos games too!)

motherboard: Gigabyte GA-5AX rev4.1 , ATX, AlladinV based, AGP slot, 2xISA and no HD limits that I have found 😁

GigabyteGA-5AX.jpg

CPU: AMD K6-II AFX 450mhz

k6ii450afx.jpg

RAM: 2x128MB SDRAM 133mhz

a trusty Voodoo3/3000 AGP

Voodoo3_3000_AGP.jpg

the mandatory Roland LAPC-I

roland-lapc.jpg

a nice SB16 2230 (might exchange it with a 1740 though)

ct2230.jpg

coupled with a DB60XG daugterboard

YAMAHA_DB60XG.jpg

for now it serves me well in both DOS and win9x games that I have 😁
I have found the mobo very stable, and after adjusting some BIOS settings (WIP) agp perfomance is very good too!
Any suggestions are HIGHLY welcomed! 😉

Reply 1 of 34, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I also have 500mhz and 550mhz K6-II cpu's as spares, should I upgrade ? In DOS I have no probs now with the agp lfb settings, but a higher cpu will help win games... what do u think?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 34, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

I also have 500mhz and 550mhz K6-II cpu's as spares, should I upgrade ? In DOS I have no probs now with the agp lfb settings, but a higher cpu will help win games... what do u think?

Nice pieces of hardware!

You have a picture of the system in action?

There's no reason why you shouldn't use a faster CPU, it will only benifit Windows games and heavy SVGA games....for older DOS games even a Pentium 1 is too fast so no reason to worry about speed problems since you can't avoid them 😁

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 3 of 34, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

currently the system is inside a NOS Asus retro-beige tower, but it is a mess from testing... will post some good pics ASAP...
maybe after I replace the cpu?

I just want to have this ONE and ONLY dos/win9x old-games-machine , I also have a 486/100 in a classic pizza-box case, but I would only like one machine...

Reply 4 of 34, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

currently the system is inside a NOS Asus retro-beige tower, but it is a mess from testing... will post some good pics ASAP...

I just want to have this ONE and ONLY dos/win9x old-games-machine , I also have a 486/100 in a classic pizza-box case, but I would only like one machine...

That's my dream too but sadly it can't be a reality 😢

Too many games from the late 80's and early 90's doesn't even run nice with a 486
Just look at Zool 1 & 2 for example...they won't even start on a 486 or faster

Reply 5 of 34, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I forgot to mention that I still have my 386sx PS1/pro machine 😀
now upgraded to 486slc2/40mhz , gg486 style

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 6 of 34, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Amigaz wrote:
That's my dream too but sadly it can't be a reality :depressed: […]
Show full quote
keropi wrote:

Too many games from the late 80's and early 90's doesn't even run nice with a 486

eerhm could you refine, what you mean by a 486 ? since my first (my familys first) pc was a 486 Olivetti 25 MHz with 4 megabytes of ram, and there I ran zool 1 or 2 fine. But then again, it is no wonder why it ran fine. It was an extremely slow computer in the first place.

Reply 7 of 34, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
WolverineDK wrote:
Amigaz wrote:
That's my dream too but sadly it can't be a reality :depressed: […]
Show full quote
keropi wrote:

eerhm could you refine, what you mean by a 486 ? since my first (my familys first) pc was a 486 Olivetti 25 MHz with 4 megabytes of ram, and there I ran zool 1 or 2 fine. But then again, it is no wonder why it ran fine. It was an extremely slow computer in the first place.

Slowest 486 machine I tried it on so far is on my 486DX 50 EISA system

Since your 486 was a 25mhz it must have been a 486SX?

Reply 8 of 34, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Amigaz wrote:
WolverineDK wrote:
Amigaz wrote:

Slowest 486 machine I tried it on so far is on my 486DX 50 EISA system

Since your 486 was a 25mhz it must have been a 486SX?

Yeah it probably was, it was there I learned my real footsteps, when it came to learning about Dos, and its batch files. The only "real programming" I can figure out.

Reply 9 of 34, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, about games not running well on faster machines. I found out on my own that Alone in the Dark 1 and 2 do not like cpu's faster than 486/33 or 40. Tried them with a DX2/66 and they did not work. Put in a DX/33 and they did. Weird...

Y2K box: AMD Athlon K75 (second generation slot A)@700, ASUS K7M motherboard, 256 MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7500+2xVoodoo2 in SLI, SB Live! 5.1, VIA USB 2.0 PCI card, 40 GB Seagate HDD.
WIP: external midi module based on NEC wavetable (Yamaha clone)

Reply 10 of 34, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
fillosaurus wrote:

Well, about games not running well on faster machines. I found out on my own that Alone in the Dark 1 and 2 do not like cpu's faster than 486/33 or 40. Tried them with a DX2/66 and they did not work. Put in a DX/33 and they did. Weird...

Did they not start?

They run fin on my 5x86 133mhz machine here

edit: can't get them to recognise any FM sound device though...can just get digital sound 😜

Last edited by Amigaz on 2008-09-21, 17:18. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 13 of 34, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:
and here are my speed results, I think they are very good :D […]
Show full quote

and here are my speed results, I think they are very good 😁

Sstimg01.png

damn....now you realize how sloooow a socket 3 machine really is 😳

a 3-4 year leap really made a difference in speed and reliability

Reply 18 of 34, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

here are some WIP pics ... I will change the HD cable with a rounded one I think... cables are a mess right now...

also there is a slight change... I now use a CT1740 SB16 (thanks amigaz!) and a DB50XG daughterboard 😁

also installed are a PCI network adapter and a USB2 card (for easy exchange of files from win98SE)

NOTE: here is a generic USB MASS STORAGE driver for win98, it works PERFECT and is very handy! http://www.technical-assistance.co.uk/kb/usbmsd98.php

Cimg0891.jpg

Cimg0892.jpg

Cimg0893.jpg

Reply 19 of 34, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There is something almost.. sexy about a full size ISA card.

"Retro Rocket"
Athlon XP-M 2200+ // Epox 8KTA3
Radeon 9800xt // Voodoo2 SLI
Diamond MX300 // SB AWE64 Gold