VOGONS

post up pics of your "computing area"

Topic actions

Reply 1900 of 1908, by Paadam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is my temporary IBM computing area 😀 Temporary as in I will have to empty the room in a week so that decorators can come and paint walls (not the brick wall).

Aptiva is original aside from P 100MHz -> 166 MHz MMX and 2x32 MB RAM, Netvista is sort of a hot-rod: consists of MSI s1150 mATX system board and i7 4790 CPU, 16GB RAM, new PSU, GTX 1060 6 GB etc.
Monitor is Eizo UXGA (1600x1200), with several inputs so I can just swap between computers.
Still have to source beige IBM multimedia keyboard, I like them a lot.

Attachments

Many 3Dfx and Pentium III-S stuff.
My amibay FS thread: www.amibay.com/showthread.php?88030-Man ... -370-dual)

Reply 1902 of 1908, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Paadam wrote on 2022-01-09, 19:37:
This is my temporary IBM computing area :) Temporary as in I will have to empty the room in a week so that decorators can come a […]
Show full quote

This is my temporary IBM computing area 😀 Temporary as in I will have to empty the room in a week so that decorators can come and paint walls (not the brick wall).

Aptiva is original aside from P 100MHz -> 166 MHz MMX and 2x32 MB RAM, Netvista is sort of a hot-rod: consists of MSI s1150 mATX system board and i7 4790 CPU, 16GB RAM, new PSU, GTX 1060 6 GB etc.
Monitor is Eizo UXGA (1600x1200), with several inputs so I can just swap between computers.
Still have to source beige IBM multimedia keyboard, I like them a lot.

What kind of PSU do you have in that NetVista? SFX?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1903 of 1908, by Paadam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2022-01-18, 08:35:

Regular size Chieftec 650W PSU, there was enough room but had to modify opening a bit and drill new holes for screws. Looks just like it was put there by IBM 😀

Reply 1904 of 1908, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Paadam wrote on 2022-01-18, 19:34:
appiah4 wrote on 2022-01-18, 08:35:

Regular size Chieftec 650W PSU, there was enough room but had to modify opening a bit and drill new holes for screws. Looks just like it was put there by IBM 😀

Interesting... Photos please? I may do just that myself. I know there is enough space to mount an ATX PSU horizontally, and drilling the holes is no big deal, but the metal seems a bit too thick to cut for a regular PSU - the power connector does not fit as is. What did you use for the job?

Reply 1905 of 1908, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm also curious about what kind of drill bits you used and if you also tapped the holes. Is it steel or aluminum?

I have holes that I've been wanting to drill into some equipment and steel always gives me the most trouble.

Reply 1906 of 1908, by Paadam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I used regular angle grinder with steel cutting disc (drilled holes in the corners beforehand to have nice rounded corners).

Why tapping the holes? PSU has tapped screw holes already. Case is steel.

Reply 1907 of 1908, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Paadam wrote on 2022-01-20, 07:57:

I used regular angle grinder with steel cutting disc (drilled holes in the corners beforehand to have nice rounded corners).

Why tapping the holes? PSU has tapped screw holes already. Case is steel.

Still hoping for photos 😀